Unable To Groom - Cat Stress And Flea Spray

Fur Baby Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Piper, my 3 year old cat, was sprayed for fleas yesterday.

She has no physical adverse effects except for excess saliva when trying to groom herself.

She is acting less outgoing and not eating as much.

How do I help her? Should I wash her with a damp rag so she can groom herself? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Below is a picture of Piper without flea and tick spray.

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would give her a bath immediately. I've never used flea sprays, but I was under the impression that sprays are to be used on furniture, carpet, etc. but not directly on the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fur Baby Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would give her a bath immediately. I've never used flea sprays, but I was under the impression that sprays are to be used on furniture, carpet, etc. but not directly on the cat.

I’m worried that the bath will stress her out more. Yes, I’m one of those people that overthinks.

This particular spray is Adams flea and tick spray for cats and dogs. Advises 1 spray per pound. You’re correct that Adams (and other brands) do have a spray specifically for the carpet and says to not even use on any animal. I don’t use carpet sprays as I have read really bad things about those.

I’m feeling like an overprotective cat Mom as one of my other cats, Salem, passed away earlier this month due to lymphoma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fur Baby Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is your cat doing? Flea sprays sound incredibly dangerous
Piper is doing much better. I have decided to not use flea sprays on her. I’m currently researching better and healthier flea preventive measures. I tried salt and water and that has been working so far.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are drops, and even pills that you can get from your vet that would most likely be more effective, and safer than what you can get over counter. Thats my best recommendation, have a vet visit, and talk to the vet about the medications and the right dose for her.

If you will not do a vet visit, then there are some back of the neck drops you can get from walmart, or a pet store that work well. I think Advantage is a brand that a lot of stores carry, and many people use with good results. Just make sure any you get are for cats, not the dog one. I think the drops last longer, and may be safer than the sprays or powders? JMO. :headscratch:

Hope your piper girl is all better now? :heartshape: