Unable to get violently aggressive cat into carrier to take to vet. Really need suggestions!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since I've updated, and really need some good advice and help! I'm desperate! :( In the past I've been the one to give advice on the topic of putting cats into carriers, I've spent quite a deal of time around cats handling rescues and working for animal control in the past, but I need alternative suggestions and ideas now. I'm all out of ideas! :sigh:

Here's what we've tried so far:
-Calmly calling her over to the carrier
-We've tried luring her with food
-We've tried picking her up (scrufing and grabbing back feet quickly, but she is too quick and attacks)
-We've tried giving her the vet recommended dosage of benadryl in wet food to make her sleepy (It's bitter and she won't eat it)
-We've tried KFC chicken
-We've tried the blanket method
-We've tried a pillow case
-We've tried getting her while she's asleep
-We've tried putting her into a small room by herself with the carrier
-Running Feliway type diffusers to keep her calm
-Making the carrier as cat-friendly as possible with her favorite blankets, treats,etc

Please guys, any other ideas???

To be quite honest, she is such an aggressive cat that I strongly believe she needs to be caught with a catch pole or a net...or sedated via injection. None of which I have access to any longer since I haven't worked for animal control in ages. So, I need some suggestions on a safe method of trying to catch her that will not harm her or allow her to harm us. I want to make things as calm as traumatic-free for her as possible, but she is just proving to be so difficult! She has already attacked us several times. (I don't have access to a humane trap, but even if I did, I know that she would not fall for it)

-I'm at my wits end! Nothing we've tried is working and she needs to be seen by the vet before she hurts us or my other animals. I can not tolerate her aggression. She chases after my pets and tries to attack them without warning. She lunges and tries to attack my boyfriend and I. My animals are terrified of her, I'm even scared of her, and my boyfriend can't even get her to let him handle her! (When we try to catch her or interact with her, we try to do so as calmly as possible so she doesn't feed off of our frustration or negative energy.)

To make an exceptionally long story short, my boyfriend's cat needs to be taken to the vet ASAP for an evaluation. We have been trying since Saturday to catch her and take her to the vet to be evaluated. We've called several vets offices (including the one she normally goes to) asking for suggestions, but none of them have been successful. Because she is so aggressive and outright attacks my animals, other people, and just about anything that breathes, we've decided our only two options left are to rehome her or to have her put down. She is so aggressive that she poses a threat to the life of my other cats and I refuse to put them at more risk. We want her to be evaluated by the vet to see if they think she can acclimate as a barn cat. It is not ideal, but at this point it is the only choice we have other than having her put down. If there's a chance that she can be a happy barn cat and live out her life as a spoiled, only kitty, then that is what would be in her best interest. (The last time my boyfriend took her to the vet, medical problems were ruled out as the cause of her aggression).

My good friend has a beautiful farm about five minutes away from our home and has offered to take her and let her live out her life there. (The barn is heated/air conditioned, and she wouldn't have to hunt for food as it will be provided and she would have attention every single day). My friend understand the cat is 'special needs" and is still willing to take her in and care for her and we'd be able to see her as often as we'd like. The problem is, we can't even get her to the vet to have her vetted before taking her there! So, we have a willing home just waiting on her and are unable to do much until we can catch her.

Any suggestions on catch her would be so greatly appreciated!

(Just a disclaimer: I understand that her life expectency will be shorter as an outdoor cat, but at this point we have no other option. We have evaluated every single pro/con and feel it's the only alternative we have to having her put down right now. She is an 8 year old, tortishell female, spayed. I understand that it is not ideal to put a Senior indoor-only cat out as a barn cat, but this is the only alternative we have right now to having her put down. She is way too aggressive to keep around our other animals, or even ourselves.)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried using elbow length welders gloves? You can get them at any large hardware store for just a few bucks a pair for the cheap grey ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried using elbow length welders gloves? You can get them at any large hardware store for just a few bucks a pair for the cheap grey ones.
I haven't! Thank you, I will definitely give that a shot!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother gave me pairs a couple of years for Christmas. I use them when I am putting logs in the wood stove. No more burned knuckles. He got them at Harbour Freight.  I can pick up a live coal with them, but that weakens the leather.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent Nick to Lowe's earlier on the hunt for some. They didn't have welding gloves, but he bought the longest, thickest pair of grilling ones he could find. I'm going to try and catch her in the morning when the vet opens. Thank you again for the suggestion! I'm praying it works and she will cooperate!

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I-already-lived-this-situation,and,she-was-a-torti.If-I-could-share-my-story,it-might-help-you.

Lady-found-this-kitty,starved,in-a-snow-bank-on-a-major-interstate,took-her-to-the-vet,nursed-her-back-to-health.Now-that-she-was-healthy,they-couldn't-handle-her,she-was-aggressive-and-tried-to-bite-all-that-attemped-to-handle-her.So-she-lived-in-a-dog-cage.They-called-me,they-know,I-never-say-no.

I-said-I-can-take-her,but-she-has-to-go-in-the-horse-barn.She-will-have-shelter,its-a-big-barn,she-can-live-where-she-wants,and-the-other-kitties-won't-bother-her.They-agreed,they-were-at-the-point,if-I-didn;t-take-her,they-were-going-to-put-her-down.

Took-her-to-the-vet,she-was-a-wild-girl-in-the-carrier,vet-had-to-scruff-her-to-examine-her,and-she-growled-the-whole-time.

He-said-she-was-about-2-yrs-old,was-spayed-and-declawed,otherwise-very-healthy,had-recoved-from-where-she-was-found.

He-also-said,she-had-been-severly-abused,and-it-was-going-to-take-a-long-time,if-at-all,for-her-to-become-a-normal-kitty.Well,that-is-my-speciality,dealing-with-animals-that-have-issues,man-made-ones.

Took-her-to-the-barn,and-let-her-loose,she-took-off,figured-I-would-never-see-her-again,but-its-a-large-barn,she-has-shelter.

Every-morning,every-night,for-days,I-called,here-kitty-kitty-kitty,nothing.

One-night,I-called-her,she-came,very-timid-and-untrusting,but-she-came-as-far-as-my-truck.So-I-opened-the-truck-door,and-put-her-food-in-there.

Thats-where-she-ate,every-morn,every-night.I-called-here-kitty,kitty,kitty,her-name-became-Kitty-Kat.

I-called-kitty-kat,and-she-came-running,and-jumped-into-my-truck.At-first-I-left-the-door-open,and-after-time-shut-the-door,she-pawed-the-window,when-she-was-done,now,we-had-a-routine.

Never-saw-her,only-at-meal-times,and-wouldn't-let-me-touch-her,fine,we-did-it-on-her-terms.

Fast-forward-a-few-months,to-May.Left-for-a-horse-show-on-Friday,would-be-home-Sunday-night.Asked-the-person-to-just-put-her-food-down,don't-attempt-to-touch-her.

Got-home,no-Kitty-Kat,person-said-she-never-showed-up-for-her-meals.Figured-it-was-because-my-truck-was-not-there,she-will-show-up-Monday-morn.No-Kitty-Kat.

For-days,which-turned-into-weeks,I-walked-the-pastures,I-walked-the-roads,calling-her,no-Kitty-Kat.

Figured-she-thought-I-abandoned-her.

Come-September,was-riding-in-the-very-far-back-pastures,heard-a-meow,a-very-distinctive-meow,I-knew-it-was-her.I-called-her,she-came-running.She-must-have-recognized,me-or-my-horse.Picked-her-up,got-on-the-horse,she-got-down.Tried-just-putting-her-on-the-horse,by-herself,she-got-down.Last-option,rode-towards-the-barn,she-followed,took-awhile.

I-decided-then-and-there,she-was-going-in-the-house.

She-knew-me-and-trusted-me,but-touching-her-was-another-matter,she-tried-to-bite.

So-did-it-the-same-way-as-the-barn,just-left-her-alone.She-walked-thru-the-house,it-was-as-if-the-red-sea-parted,kitties-just-got-out-of-her-way,never-any-growling,hissing,fighting,nothing,they-just-knew,she-was-in-charge.

Let-her-approach-me-on-her-terms.

Pets-were-one-pet,then-stop,end-on-a-positive-note.When-she-had-enough,she-put-her-paw-on-your-hand,that-was-your-signal-to-stop.If-you-persisted,she-put-her-mouth-on-your-hand,not-bitting,that-was-your-second-warning.If-you-still-persisted,she-bit.

It-took-me-almost-a-year,to-get-to-that-point,we-progressed-at-her-pace,on-her-terms.

She-turned-into-one-of-the-most-affectionate-cats.She-sat-in-the-bathroom,and-licked-my-legs-when-I-got-out-of-the-shower.She-came-when-she-was-called,Kitty-Kat.When-she-had-enough-pets,she-put-her-paw-on-my-hand.She-lived-to-be-around-15,and-she-lived-on-her-terms.

It-took-a-very-long-time,and-alot-of-patience,alot,a-very-alot.

I-understand-some-don't-want-to-bother,with-taking-that-amount-of-time.But-I-specialize-in-prob-horses,and-prob-kitties,man-made-issues.To-me,its-not-a-bother,its-taking-the-time-to-help-an-animal,that-is-the-way-they-are,thru-no-fault-of-their-own.Took-a-horse-that-violently-threw-himself-to-the-ground,when-you-tried-to-mount.His-next-trip,was-being-put-down,my-parents-refused-to-let-me-touch-him,I-did-anyways.

I-started-him-all-over-like-he-was-a-weanling,that-knew-nothing.Took-me-a-year,but-he-went-back-on-the-AQHA-circuit,and-became-a-champion.

If-you-are-interested,I-can-help-you,but-its-going-to-take-a-very-long-time,and-alot-of-patience,a-very-lot-of-it.I-understand,if-you-don't-want-to-or-are-unable-to.

If-you-do,you-are-going-to-start-with-putting-her-in-a-seperate-room,no-other-kitties-allowed-in,and-only-one-person,you-or-your-boyfriend,is-going-to-go-in-that-room.What-you-are-doing,is-gaining-her-trust,and-you-have-to-start-with-just-one-person.

Let-me-know,if-you-want-to-re-train-her.

I-thought-of-Kitty-Kat,when-I-read-your-story.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catspaw66, thank you again for the glove suggestion. I was able to catch her this afternoon with them on when she had dozed off for a nap. Last night she visciously attacked Kojak to the point I had to throw a pillow at her to get her off of him. This morning she attacked Isababella, and tried to get me as well.

We decided that she was much to aggressive to rehome her in good conscience.At my friend's farm, she has a 4 yr old grandson that is often over visiting, and helping his grandad around the barn. It was just too much of a safety issue to let her go there and risk injuring a child, or her getting harmed as she's been indoors only for 8years, and declawed, with no "street smarts".

We asked around among other friends and family members today, but nobody felt safe rehoming her. Since we felt we exhausted every avenue with her aggression, we went ahead and took her in for a vet consult. The vet was incredibly kind and talked with us for about 45minutes. Based on her behavior, and a number of other factors, we felt it was in her best interest to humanely put her to sleep. It had been a very difficult day in our home. We are sad, but feel our decision was the safest one for all people and pets involved. Just wanted to update. :(

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that. I wish it had gone another way, but you have to think of the safety of everyone involved. My heartfelt sympathy to you and her.