Umbilical cord and sexing questions

Gizziejo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, it has been like 25 years since raising my last kitten and I am a bit out of the loop.

Last Sunday I received a 1 day old kitten that was found in a yard and left overnight to see if mom would come back. So far things are going pretty well (except for constipation).

Last night I think the umbilical cord got stuck on a blanket and came off. It doesn't look too bad but I'm wondering if I need to do anything or worry about it.

Second I am terrible at sexing kittens this young. I think it is a girl but maybe someone can tell me for sure?
Thanks in advance!
Ellyn
73298D77-6C9C-41D3-81B8-3D30E7701CD1.jpeg
C0582E70-A15B-4F9D-BB40-CD180D6BEC6D.jpeg
04AC2EEA-6A2B-4BF8-BB9D-68A46AB3F7CC.jpeg

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am also guessing boy.

For the umbilical cord, be careful as infection readily enters this site if the cord comes off too soon. Try gently wiping the area with some diluted betadine a couple of times a day.

The constipation is pretty common when introducing formula to young kittens, so try giving him a slightly weaker mix for a day or so and then work up to full concentration.

I would also talk with a vet about whether you need to supplement colostrum.

Don't forget temperature is key. Warm kitten and warm milk equals happy and healthy baby. Best of luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gender will be easier to tell in a few weeks.

I would not weaken the formula, but add a couple of drops of olive oil to each feeding. This keeps things soft and moving.

Cleaning the naval with betadine is a good idea, and apply Neosporin liberally 2-3 times a day.

Keep the baby on a heating pad set on low and covered with a towel, as well as the formula should be warm when fed. Add a heartbeat plush toy for kitten to snuggle if possible.

Weigh daily to make sure kitten gains 6-10 grams a day or more. Feed around the clock every 2 hours.

Check out this link:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Thank you for fostering, and keep us posted!

G Gizziejo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizziejo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all, I had already tried the olive oil and have read and watched everything from the kitten lady. It is being kept on a heating pad (not directly) and has a heartbeat kitty (thanks for the sale Amazon Prime day).

This morning I made the formula with pedialyte and got a hard little poop pebble this morning and so far so good on weight gains.

Carlos Emmanuel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, it has been like 25 years since raising my last kitten and I am a bit out of the loop.

Last Sunday I received a 1 day old kitten that was found in a yard and left overnight to see if mom would come back. So far things are going pretty well (except for constipation).

Last night I think the umbilical cord got stuck on a blanket and came off. It doesn't look too bad but I'm wondering if I need to do anything or worry about it.

Second I am terrible at sexing kittens this young. I think it is a girl but maybe someone can tell me for sure?
Thanks in advance!
Ellyn
View attachment 426388View attachment 426389View attachment 426390
Hello, it's been a while since you made this post, so the cat has grown well. Is he/she male or female? I was really curious.