Ultrasonic teeth cleaning - is sedation required?

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has to undergo the ultrasonic cleaning, however, vet clinics in my city have different opinions about whether sedation is required. Those that say it is make a convincing argument, they say that without sedation such a procedure would be badly done and merely cosmetic, but I'm no expert. But what if they say it just to make more money? Sedation is something I'd like to avoid unless necessary.

I'm from Russia, and I thought that maybe I could ask people in different countries about it, especially in the US, Canada, or Western Europe, as their quality of vet care must be higher than here. What do your vets say about sedation as far as ultrasonic teeth cleaning is concerned?

Husky44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As a life long dog owner, now cat owner seems the vets are in the business for money now. I don't see lifespans increased just profits.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes it's definitely needed. Your cat's not going to sit still while someone scales and polishes their teeth.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
imo vets recommending dental cleanings without sedation are the ones wasting people’s money - cats don’t stay still enough for a proper dental cleaning when they’re awake, they’re cats. Even if your cat is chill at regular vet exams, dental cleanings involve loud scary instruments that vibrate. I’d rather pay for the sedation and know that they were actually able to do an effective cleaning than pay less and have them miss plaque and not be able to do a thorough exam because the cat is freaked out.

As a life long dog owner, now cat owner seems the vets are in the business for money now. I don't see lifespans increased just profits.
tbh anyone who’s becoming a vet “for the money” is either delusional or sorely misinformed, considering the amount of expensive schooling required in comparison to their average salaries. It’s not like human med school where you go $250k in debt for school and then start making $300k right after residency. Sure the are outliers who make a lot and there are always greedy people around but seriously the average vet in the US makes $95,000 a year and graduates with $180,000 in student debt (from vet school alone, that’s not counting undergrad)...