Ulcerative Stomatitis

marissam16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my new baby 9 days ago and she had ulcerative stomatitis. The foster personally owns 9 cats and she didn’t notice so I have no idea how long she had it. No idea how she got it too.. She’s only 10 months old. I noticed something was off and took her to the vet on Thursday and the vet said it was ulcerative stomatitis. She didn’t mention the severity or sound extremely concerned with her case. No recommendations of pulling teeth just mostly wet food instead to help her eat (which is a challenge when she wants dry over wet). She also recommended getting a supplement called Lysine and so I got powder supplements to start adding to her food.

It’s been about 5 days since she was at the vets and given antibiotics. How long does it take for ulcers to heal? I can tell my cat feels immensely better but sometimes I feel she might still be slightly bothered at times. Rare compared to her first day here.

Anyone else had experiences with this issue? Tips? Suggestions? Just stressed and overwhelmed with it since I decided to google about it and hear the worst horror stories.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for adopting your new female kitty. :thanks: Although I'm sorry to hear your vet diagnosed her with Ulcerative Stomatitis. Did the vet take x-rays? If not that would be helpful in determining the severity. You may want to ask about it on your next vet visit. Did the vet mention anything about FORL, (feline oral resorptive lesions)? One thing you can start doing is to get her used to having her teeth brushed. Regarding how she got it sometimes cats have a genetic predisposition. I thought this TCS Article on Gingivitis and Stomatitis might have some helpful information for you: Gingivitis And Stomatitis In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
And another Article about how to brush your cat's teeth: How To Brush Your Cat’s Teeth – TheCatSite Articles

I'm glad to hear your cat is feeling better since your vet visit five days ago. :thumbsup: Please keep us posted on her progress.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get a second opinion from a veterinary dentist or at least have your vet consult with one.

Canned food is easiest for your cat to eat and much more healthier than any dry food. You can crush up some dry food or a few hard treats and sprinkle over the canned food to make it more appealing.