ulcer in mouth

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, i'm back again :(

This time, it's regarding an ulcer on my cat's lip.

I first noticed it about 1 week ago, because i realized his lips looked a little lopsided. Upon further investigation, it was only then i realized the inside of his lip had a swollen bump. i brought him to the vet the very next day. The vet said it could be either
1) Allergy to an insect bite etc.
- to which she gave him an antihistamine injection and some antihistamine oral pills to follow up with. But she told me that the injection should bring down the swelling significantly if it is really because of an allergy to a bite etc.
2) Trauma then it swelled up.
- i really don't think so, because the swelling has a centre, like an ulcer. it looks just like how a mouth ulcer looks on humans.

Now 1 week later, the ulcer is still there. it looks slightly better? in my opinion? not as swollen? (although from pictures i can't really tell..) but it's still there, and not significantly*?different like what the vet said would happen after the injection. I'm not too sure what to do.. anyone has any insights?

it has not affected his appetite, appetites the same.
this vet i went to said that my cat's teeth was at a grade 2 andshe would recommend a dental within 4-6 months. however, a vet i went to just 3 weeks ago said its at grade 1 and i can afford to wait. so i'm really perplexed.

but here's the picutres of the ulcer. should i bring him back yet? or can i wait awhile more since it does seem to be subsiding (although i cant be fully sure? :( )

day 1 i found it is 29/12. i bought him to the vet on30/12.
also atached pics taken on 1/1 and 2/1. as well as today 4/1

29/12 first day
wed 29:12.JPG

1st jan:
sat 1:1-2.JPG

2nd jan:
sun 2:1.JPG

4th jan today
today 4:1.JPG

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry if I am misinterpreting the time frame, but did vet #1 see the ulcer? If not, you might try going back to her; if she did, then try for another vet who is not in the same practice as either of the others. I can't tell if it looks all that much better or not. It might not be anything serious, but mouth sores always concern me.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, i'm back again :(

This time, it's regarding an ulcer on my cat's lip.

I first noticed it about 1 week ago, because i realized his lips looked a little lopsided. Upon further investigation, it was only then i realized the inside of his lip had a swollen bump. i brought him to the vet the very next day. The vet said it could be either
1) Allergy to an insect bite etc.
- to which she gave him an antihistamine injection and some antihistamine oral pills to follow up with. But she told me that the injection should bring down the swelling significantly if it is really because of an allergy to a bite etc.
2) Trauma then it swelled up.
- i really don't think so, because the swelling has a centre, like an ulcer. it looks just like how a mouth ulcer looks on humans.

Now 1 week later, the ulcer is still there. it looks slightly better? in my opinion? not as swollen? (although from pictures i can't really tell..) but it's still there, and not significantly*?different like what the vet said would happen after the injection. I'm not too sure what to do.. anyone has any insights?

it has not affected his appetite, appetites the same.
this vet i went to said that my cat's teeth was at a grade 2 andshe would recommend a dental within 4-6 months. however, a vet i went to just 3 weeks ago said its at grade 1 and i can afford to wait. so i'm really perplexed.

but here's the picutres of the ulcer. should i bring him back yet? or can i wait awhile more since it does seem to be subsiding (although i cant be fully sure? :( )

day 1 i found it is 29/12. i bought him to the vet on30/12.
also atached pics taken on 1/1 and 2/1. as well as today 4/1

29/12 first day
View attachment 406595

1st jan:
View attachment 406596
2nd jan:
View attachment 406597

4th jan today
View attachment 406598
It looks worse to me so I would go back to dvm. Treatment has not helped so maybe it is not allergic etc. He may need a steroid, antibiotic and a real diagnosis with some tests. It looks like some of his teeth are missing too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now it looks like this! Pic was taken ytd. I bought him to another vet who also thinks it will heal on its own. He just gave an oral gel to apply. His teeth has always been like that, in the front
215ED99B-41F5-424C-95E3-12FD255B6F88.jpeg

It does look like itsgetting better right? :(

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now it looks like this! Pic was taken ytd. I bought him to another vet who also thinks it will heal on its own. He just gave an oral gel to apply. His teeth has always been like that, in the frontView attachment 407987

It does look like itsgetting better right? :(
Hard to tell from pics but it looks better/ smaller to me 😻 that is good it should heal on its own. What gel is it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it's uh Oratene enzymatic brushless oral care oral gel, i googled and it can be used for ulcers. but hmm im just still worried. cause yeah even though it does look much smaller now, but its been 1 month since i found the ulcer and its still there. it looks like a small white blob now as comapred to how it once was but i dont know if thats something i should be worried about.. everyone in family thinks i'm making a molehill out of nothing though, especially since i've been to two vets and they both didn't say too much.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's uh Oratene enzymatic brushless oral care oral gel, i googled and it can be used for ulcers. but hmm im just still worried. cause yeah even though it does look much smaller now, but its been 1 month since i found the ulcer and its still there. it looks like a small white blob now as comapred to how it once was but i dont know if thats something i should be worried about.. everyone in family thinks i'm making a molehill out of nothing though, especially since i've been to two vets and they both didn't say too much.
Can you go to an internist maybe or someone who specializes in the mouth/ dentist etc.?