Ulcer center of eye

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I had to take my kitten to the emergency vet yesterday he was sleeping and when he got up I noticed his left eye closed shut and watering and he was paying at his face. The vet did a shimmers tear test on both eyes which came out normal. However a fluorescein stain showed uptake in the left eye, there was a small superficial ulcer within the center of the eye. He was given a topical antibiotic eye drops called tobramycin for the affected eye and eye lube called optixcare for both eyes for 7 days. The vet was amazing and he has a recheck with his usual vet in 7 days. I am very confused as to what exactly causes ulcers because his eyes were fine then all of a sudden that happened. Also can this happen again and should he use something in his eyes to prevent it from reoccurring? I was so scared he would go blind and I dont know much about ulcers. Any other tips or information on it? I've noticed he wants to be in dark places.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Often they are caused by trauma. Poor baby! Be sure and ask your vet at his checkup and see what s/he says.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They can be caused by various issues. No doubt we can assume that your baby did not get a chemical burn in the eye or something that is very unlikely, but I would still press the vet for any systemic cause, or any sign of an injury that you might not have been aware of, and certainly not caused by any lack of care for your cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some sort of trauma is usually the cause. He could have scratched it by accident, another cat in the home could have swiped at him, or he could have run into something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your replies! With covid going on my vet is very busy he was supposed to have a recheck within 2 days but they thought waiting 7 days would be okay. Is it possible for this antibiotic to be hurting him more I was able to clean his eye area and took a photo of his the green part looks discolored. Could the antibiotic be burning his eye or is this what a ulcer looks like? I feel so bad for letting this happen to my little guy.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel so bad for letting this happen to my little guy.
Bless your heart! You did absolutely nothing wrong - this could have happened in any number of ways. You were extremely responsible and got your baby in to the vet during extremely challenging times.

the green part looks discolored.
If your vet allows it, send these photos in and see what the vet thinks about that.