UK members- what do you feed your cat?

glamourpuss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious as to what other brands of food UK members feed their cats. The most comprehensive pet store near me is Pets at Home and the best food they supply is Royal Canin biscuits and Nature's Menu pouches. Apart from that, choice is pretty limited... So do other owners shop online? Where do you go and what do you buy?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have James Welbeloved dry and usually HiLife wet.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed HiLife and Perfect Fit wet - Perfect Fit doesn't have excellent ingredients, but need high fibre for Molly, and JWB and HiLife dry. Unless I want HiLife dry in 2kg bags, I dont need to order online anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glamourpuss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

I feed mainly wet - natures menu, hi life, almo nature, applaws, cosma, nutro, schesir, bozita, animonda and probably a few more I've forgotten! I get the natures menu and hi life from Tesco or pets at home and the rest mail order from zooplus (except for the bozita which I buy from Pawmark pet supplies

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/c...t_food_pouches

http://www.pawmark.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22_35_144

I also feed a small amount of James Wellbeloved dry from PAH.
I have never heard of bozita before, nor the website it is sold on! That's a good food is it? My lot are so fussy at the moment, i'm not sure what to try them on next.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Hi-Life and Nature's Menu wet, although he prefers the chunky hi-life to the paté-style Nature's Menu - I get them both from either Tescos or Pets At Home (Pets At Home sometimes has great deals on Nature's Menu 48 pouch selection packs). I have tried Bozita and liked it but won't be able to order any online until after payday

And James Wellbeloved dry, also from Pets At Home. They do stock it round here, perhaps if you asked your local branch they would get some in for you?

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed royal canin sensitivity pouches as Whiskas used to give Villy diahrea (don't know how to spell that but I'm sure you know what I mean!)
It's expensive (about £8 for 12 pouches) but I don't mind paying a bit extra for better food. I give her royal canin biscuits too, dental and digest. I give her highlife too sometimes. I wondered - do cats get bored of eating the same thing over and over or is it better for them than change?
I looked at getting royal canin online, but it's cheaper for my vets to get it in for me, (no p&p) which they seem to do for a lot of people. Could your vets get food in for you?

glamourpuss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get the Maine Coon Royal Canin biscuits from PaH, which they have all always enjoyed until just recently, which is most annoying as it's one of the best ones you can buy. Don't know why they have gone off it. I have just tried them on James Wellbeloved kitten which they liked for the first day, now they barely nibble at it. Same with that gourmet pearl, they used to like that too.... They have gone off whiskas supermeat, oh so meaty and organic pouches. They have had natures menu in the past and enjoyed that, maybe it's time to try them on that again! I don't know. I got that Almo Nature from zooplus a few times, but it's very costly and they weren't even very keen on it!
I normally rotate the food they get, tin one meal, pouches the next, dry the next, etc. They seem to have no appetite at all and i'm throwing a lot away.

karen_moomin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thor and Loki are fed a combination of wet and dry foods. We have recently decided to put them on a dry food only diet, as it's better for their teeth and they seem to favour dry food at the moment, so we are throwing a lot of meat in the bin as they don't eat it!

Generally I feed them Whiskers Kitten Dry (they LOVE this), Tesco's own dry food, and either Kitekat, Tesco or Asda tins of meat with gravy. They are much better value than pouches, although these are more convenient.

I'm just shopping online to get some big bags of dry food from zooplus.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by karen_moomin

Thor and Loki are fed a combination of wet and dry foods. We have recently decided to put them on a dry food only diet, as it's better for their teeth and they seem to favour dry food at the moment, so we are throwing a lot of meat in the bin as they don't eat it!

Generally I feed them Whiskers Kitten Dry (they LOVE this), Tesco's own dry food, and either Kitekat, Tesco or Asda tins of meat with gravy. They are much better value than pouches, although these are more convenient.

I'm just shopping online to get some big bags of dry food from zooplus.
Actually, dry food is not better for their teeth, and canned food is much better for their kidneys, too. Here's an article you should probably read:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...dcleantheteeth

glamourpuss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would never feed them completely on dry, it's totally unnatural and unhealthy for a cat (or a person for that matter - imagine eating noting but cereal and crisps for your whole life!)

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our two like the dried food as well as the wet. As we got them from the cats protection they were at the time being fed the Felix as they are sponsored by them. We have tried the natures menue but they wont touch it, so we have gone back to felix again. However as im sure you are all aware there is that debate about the raw meat thing, not as a replacement for cat food but an addition. I remember as a child my mother fed our cat sometimes with lites? I have given our two chicken livers in small quantities, im just a firm believer in natural food, it would be good to hear anybody elses opinion on this. Do you or dont you give your cats fresh meat now and again?.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jessy - you can get wet food with a higher meat content than RC, and prob cheaper too - and Whiskas does seem to give a few cats diarrhea, you could prob try any of the other supermarket brands and they wouldn't do it.
I agree with the others about not feeding purely dry only, I always give mine a mix of both, and even when cats have come in not liking wet, I have converted them.
I think giving raw meat can be good for them, you just have to make sure it is human quality, kept properly and either all or no more than 10% of their food intake each day.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine love a treat of fresh, raw meat. Whenever I'm cooking with meat I usually give them a bit and they go mad for it. You'd think they hadn't eaten for a year. I'm looking to introduce more raw food (a few meals a week raw) but Jaffa has a chronic problem with occasional early morning vomiting and soft poos so I don't want to mess with his food too much until I've either sorted that out or come to the conclusion there's nothing I can do about it.

I'm not a fan of dry food either. I used to think it was good for their teeth but not now that I've read lots of articles explaining why it's not. I also don't like the fact that dry is high in carbs and low in water so have switched from feeding about half and half (though slightly more dry) to predominantly wet. Fortunately mine love just about anything I give them so no problems with them deciding they no longer like something.

I've not bought any natures menu for a while as I stocked up when PAH had an offer on earlier in the year selling 96 pouches for £19.99. Does anyone know if that's still on? It wasn't advertised in my store but when you put 2 of the 48 pouch packs through the till it came up with £19.99. As it wasn't advertised I was hoping it was a permanent offer.

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That certainly is an interesting article on the dry food. Then again with the wet food we are led to believe that beause its got pretty pictures on the box and its named something really fancy that its going to be the best. Im afraid manufacturers are in the game to make money, and sometimes some of these products are not what they are cracked up to be.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by u8myufo

That certainly is an interesting article on the dry food. Then again with the wet food we are led to believe that beause its got pretty pictures on the box and its named something really fancy that its going to be the best. Im afraid manufacturers are in the game to make money, and sometimes some of these products are not what they are cracked up to be.
So it is down to you to read ans understand the ingredints list.

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats true Anakat, but sometimes the expensive one and the one that looks like it got the best bits in is not what our kits always like. Oh well best let them decide I suppose

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

I've not bought any natures menu for a while as I stocked up when PAH had an offer on earlier in the year selling 96 pouches for £19.99. Does anyone know if that's still on? It wasn't advertised in my store but when you put 2 of the 48 pouch packs through the till it came up with £19.99. As it wasn't advertised I was hoping it was a permanent offer.
I've never managed to get that offer, sadly!
It might just have been your PAH with the error - knew I should have tried Stockport first!