Veteran
Purraise
I've been struggling with cat litter for a while now. My requirements are:-
  • Clumping
  • Very low dust/dust free
  • Absolutely minimal tracking
  • Doesn't clump onto paws or noses
  • Clumps well in the box, and doesn't break up on sifting
  • Unscented (or only very faintly scented)
  • Reasonably affordable (I currently have 6 trays to fill and scoop)

I used to use Sanicat Clumping (orange bag) but never really liked it. It always seemed incredibly dusty to me, smelt off putting, and the clumps had a tendency to break up when sifted. It also stuck hard to the tray if the cat dug to the bottom or peed down the side of the tray.

Then I trialled two new litters, with a mini trial of a third (only got a trial bag, and it wasn't big enough for a real trial in my big trays).

In one box, I have Greenwoods Natural clumping wood litter. I really love the look and smell of this, but it tracks like CRAZY. Also, whilst Asha (and now the boys) will use it, and were very quick to try it out, they all seem to gravitate to the clay boxes over this one.

In my other boxes, I currently have Cat & Clean De Luxe. I originally really liked this litter. It seemed to be almost dust free (other than when pouring new litter into the box), and the scent was very subtle. It was clumping fantastically too. However, it is tracking a fair bit (significantly more than the Sanicat did), the dust seems to have got much worse, though that may be because the boys are better at burying their leaving. Most concerningly, I'm finding it clumped onto paws, and sometimes noses, and am finding little clay paw prints (done in what seems like wet clay that's then dried) leading out of the boxes on a daily basis. I'm also finding that it's not clumping so well as it was, and it's sticking to my scoop a lot more too.

The litter I did a mini trial on was Tigerino Canada (baby powder scent, only because it was the only version in a trial size bag). Asha had no particular preference between this and the Cat & Clean, but it seemed a lot dustier to me. I also slightly preferred the white clay of the Cat & Clean to the grey clay of the Tigerino Canada.

I guess I may be searching for the impossible here, but that's what slight obsession and perfectionist tendencies get you :rolleyes: I've spent (literally) days pouring over reviews on Zooplus, Amazon UK, Pets at Home etc etc, and feel totally confused about where to go from here. Personally, I'd prefer a non clay litter, but my kitties' preferences matter too - especially as Asha has suspected FIC.

I feel like litter shouldnt be this complicated...

Ideas, anyone?

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just use the Asda own brand one. Its surprisingly good, it clumps, its unscented, and its rather low dust (compared to most other things I have used, my local shop has only two brands available and both are dusty and bad at clumping). Its also £1.55 for a 10kg bag, which is fine for me, I have four cats, so there is a lot of trays to clean.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use the Asda own brand one. Its surprisingly good, it clumps, its unscented, and its rather low dust (compared to most other things I have used, my local shop has only two brands available and both are dusty and bad at clumping). Its also £1.55 for a 10kg bag, which is fine for me, I have four cats, so there is a lot of trays to clean.
Haha same here ! Asda all the way and I buy loads and stick in the porch. I clean her litter every day and at less than £2 I really don't mind!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's really interesting, and good to know. Thanks guys :thumbsup: Unfortunately, there aren't any Asda stores round here - just Tesco, Aldi and Lidl :sigh: