ugh how do i keep crazy dachshund out of cat litter?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is a dog question anywho how do I keep my crazy dachshund out of the cat litter box yes he would eat the poo and he would even do it after i feed him how do i stop him?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You need to put the litter pan somewhere he can't access, dogs love cat poop and they aren't going to pass it up if they have access to it but cleaning up cat poop vomit or paying $1000 for a emergency blockage surgery is the usual result. Safer to place out of reach, up high, in a cat only area.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a small dog who likes "kitty crunchies" also. :cringe:

I've baby-gated my litterboxes in a bedroom so she cannot get to them. Another thing I've done that keeps her out of the boxes is to use an 18 gal rubbermaid tub w/ a hole cut in the lid as a 'top entry' litterbox.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several cats and 3 doxies who would sell their blessed little souls to be able to get into a litter pan !I put a baby gate up so they can't get to them in the utility room,and in my bathroom and bedroom,I went to rubbermaid storage tubs as litter pans.Works like a charm,they are inexpensive,the cats don't mind the change in type of pan and they're tall enough that there's no problem with the dogs.What I did with the tubs was to cut an opening in the lid with a sheetrock knife so the lid always stays in place.They are great!Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will my problem is my 2 dogs and blanket is in a 20+ft room the litter pan is right next to the dresser and the tv is on the dresser the litter pan is 2 ft away from the door and she wont use it if i put it behind the chair or put a lid on it or rise it any tips?

if you wondering why i have them in a 20+ft room is because the dogs will pee all over the kitchen or sneak out the door if left open for 2 seconds and Blanket will run out the door or hid were i cant get her my house is made weird

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having this issue with my puppy.  I kinda can't wait for her to get to big to go under a baby gate.  I have a older cat who could never jump a gate high enought to keep pup out.  She gets into the poop and gets the runs cause the cats wet disagrees with her.  She tends to only do ok on dry puppy food.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And also I use non scoop at moment to prevent any issues with blocking.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately my dogs are big so i just have baby gates. One is just a baby gate because I don't care if the cats go into the entryway (where the dogs stay when I'm gone) and the other (into the cat room) has a spindle knocked out so the older cats don't have to jump. If my dogs were any smaller they'd be able to go through and then I'd have trouble! Oh, and I also have a cat door cut into the door to the basement.

Otherwise. . .I dunno, scoop a lot?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately my dogs are big so i just have baby gates. One is just a baby gate because I don't care if the cats go into the entryway (where the dogs stay when I'm gone) and the other (into the cat room) has a spindle knocked out so the older cats don't have to jump. If my dogs were any smaller they'd be able to go through and then I'd have trouble! Oh, and I also have a cat door cut into the door to the basement.
Otherwise. . .I dunno, scoop a lot?
I scoop it 3 or 4 times a day i'm afraid there eat the actual litter in the box

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have litter boxes behind a gate so the dogs can't get to them, I have little box snackers also. UGH!

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
dogs eat cat poo because cats produce a protein that dog bodies need but they don't produce it themselves atleast that's what all the vets I've talked to have said when I had dogs, but I can't remember what it is (It might be taurine?) might be worth looking up

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats do not produce taurine, they have to get it from the meat they eat. Dogs on the other hand can create taurine from other amino acids. 

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 mini dachies and a toy poodle that love to get into the litter box.  We have 4 boxes, and only 1 is accessible to them, but we have to watch them like crazy to keep them out of the box.  Dachies in general are pretty food driven, and apparently they think the box contains some really awesome treats.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 mini dachies and a toy poodle that love to get into the litter box.  We have 4 boxes, and only 1 is accessible to them, but we have to watch them like crazy to keep them out of the box.  Dachies in general are pretty food driven, and apparently they think the box contains some really awesome treats.
I know there food drivin i cant leave anything food related on my chair if i do i see the item torn apart EVERYWERE

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We would put the litter box on top of the dryer so that the dogs could not reach it.  Put it on top of an elevated surface, block off an area with puppy gates that the kitty can't jump, get a hooded box, get a top-entry box, put the litter box into a storage container that the cat has to jump into, etc.