ugh dog pee

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to let dog out last night and slipped right in his puddle. Ok I call it quite house training him. I have thought of getting some grass to grow in a kids pool for the house. seriously. Hubby wanted me to go to hospital as I went down hard and floor is concrete pad house is on with a 3x3 vinly by door carpet was ripped out.

I feel this one dog creates more hassle/stress/worry then all my cats together.

male dog wrap an option? hes 40 lbs. Mom can sew anything once she sees a display so was thinking of buying one and having her custom fit it. or just duct taping a puppy pad to him
or a exteral catheter.

I really do feel bad as this is putting a strain on dogs relationship and also there must be a reason behind why 8 months later hes still not trained

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry you fell and hope that you will be okay. As for the dog situation, I have no experience with that. Maybe someone else will come along and give you some good suggestions. I can only say, if it were me, I would be frustrated enough to try anything at this stage. One thing I feel is that no matter how much I love the animal, cat or dog, it would be hard to deal with what you are going through.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs demand a lot more attention, time and effort than cats, that is for sure.

As I recall you got this dog from a shelter so unless the previous owner housetrained the dog, (and I mean REALLY housetrained) there is no reason to assume he udnerstands that you only want him to mess outdoors.

The dog might be used to peeing on sidewalks and if there is a concrete floor exposed in your house and he needs to go, to him it may seem like a potty area. Does he seem to prefer one surface over another? Like grass/concrete/carpet?

If he was housetrained before then the first thing to do is get a urinalysis and make sure there isn't medical cause for him peeing where he shouldn't. If he has a bladder infection then all the training in the world won't do any good, and doggy diapers will just get him used to a feeling of being soggy.

If he's doing it when you're not around, make sure that no one ever scolds him for peeing where he shouldn't. It may sounds strange, but some people think that if they "catch a dog in the act" and scold, they can housetrain a dog. What usually happens though is that the dog brain registers that peeing and being seen by a human is bad, so they end up getting sneaky about messing and also refuse to elimnate while out on walks.

About all you can do I think once a medical cause is ruled out is go back to housetraining 101. That means take him out (be with him, don't just let him out) and when he does his business, praise him like he won the Nobel prize and give him a treat. If he has messed indoors, clean it up with a enzymatic cleaner. And if you catch him sniffing around like he needs to go or hiking his leg, startle him with a loud "ah" and get him outside.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go back to housetraining 101. Treat him like an untrained puppy. Supervise him all the time and crate train when you are not around to do so. Your due diligence will pay off. Here is a good link on how to accomplish training him.
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...g_puppies.html
Also, you might take him to the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection.

I love dogs! I also love my cat but my one cat causes more trouble than my dogs. She is all over this house and into everything and eats paper money and steals food. You can actually TRAIN dogs, so there is hope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
History I got on him was found in cage no owner identified(thinking they kept dogs off premises to fight even though he don't have fight marks-urine burns and cig burns he did have.

Urinary was negative. There is no preference for any type of material. We had carpet and he used to go in one spot(more hidden). Since ripping that out he now goes on the couch, vinyl, concrete and the area rugs(oh fun the dark ones you never know. In a crate he has no issues about going and laying back down in it(remember he was living like that and very underweight so think "owner" just came in to make sure they didnt starve to death. How nice.

I notice he pees more often when let out then if I go out with him I can walk him and nothing but if I tie him out and say go pee he goes to his one spot(used to be a bush...he killed it but I told hubby don't move it as its his landmark!

Right now I have him tied to me or table when I leave the area (doorknobs a no go he just twists till he gets to caught up

I really at this point tried to do puppy pads(heck if hes going to go in house might as well make it easy cleanup). he dont like them. same for paper. I guess only good
thing is hes not a leg lifter so no pee on the paneling/walls.

May have to go tonight as backs still hurting and I never even scooped litter today as its THAT bad. Waiting for husband to get off work so he can do that, then take it from there. I guess lucked out as hes off tom I hate to put boxed on him but no choice at moment.

Have considered buying kennel for him. I am SO AGAINST!!!! outside dogs but maybe if he had a place to go wander about hed get this?!? He'd not be out in extremes or overnight. We still need some sewer work so fence would not be option(sewer in odd spot that fence would need to come down and think kennel would be safer at moment. Also may seriously try a baby pool cause kennels only option 1/2 year if that.

Going to look at link now and thanks so much for keeping me sane with this guy

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK a couple of thoughts.

It sounds like this dog may not be real comfortable with people around. If they put cigarette burns on him, he probably didn't feel safe peeing while there was a human around. He may be used to his privacy. That might explain why he won't pee if you are there but will if he is by himself. Now you are trying to teach him to be a pet and that is going to take some time.

Tethering is a great idea. Anything you can do to make him feel comfortable can help - talk to him in a soothing voice, give him a scratch behind the ears, belly rub, butt scratch, whatever he seems to like.

My advice to you is do not use puppy pads. I have lost count of how many times I've read posts from people who have used them and then surprise surprise the dog pees everywhere in the house. Most dogs don't get what humans think is so magical about the wee pads. More often than not the dog figures that inside is fair game and that means everywhere - wee pads, carpet, throw rugs, magazines etc. Keep plugging away at getting him used to peeing outside. If he pees in his spot while you are watching, act as happy as you possibly can and give him a treat.

This is not going to change overnight. Most people who have this problem need about two months to turn it around, and you have to be watchful and consistent. Also the dog is not going to "get it" - what is more likely is that the dog will pee inside less and less until one day you won't remember the last time he did.

Something else you can try - clean the spots he peed on with a cleaner like Nature's miracle, then sit down and play with him, scatter kibble in those areas for him to scavenge. Dogs won't normally mess where they live and play, but they will sometimes think that laundry rooms and guest bedrooms are ok because they don't seem to be living or eating areas.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya I have heard to many bad things about pads in past too. The only room he has available when hes off leash is a decent sized living room. the kitchen/dining room is out as it has peel stick tiles that the pee gets under(ok they needed to be replaced when bought home due to being dark red old looking but they were functional, now many have come undone) I have gated the 7x4 hall off where the 2 bedrooms and a bath are and I gated off the bottom of the steps/2 upstairs bedrooms.

He seems to be better some days and other seems like a complete lost(may go all in hous then few days of just one or two. Going to go get a dirt cheap rug so that theres no risk of slipping again. Get a few just cause of his habit so I can wash one. The only ones I have in house are 2 dark ones you can't see poop on. Also the tile is coming completely out in dining/kitchen(slowly as glue needs to be washed carefully off) so will be all exposed concrete in the dr/kit/lr. Anyone think giving him a non grass area may be benifited? maybe sandy area? Anyone have a dog that prefers that? Hes never ad that option but thought its so cheap maybe worth a shot to get a sack and pour it on.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs won't normally mess where they live and play, but they will sometimes think that laundry rooms and guest bedrooms are ok because they don't seem to be living or eating areas.
NORMALLY is the key word here.But, that is NOT so for all dogs.Dogs that are from shelters and etc, have to stay in a small cage and have no other option than pee and poop where they live/play.
And some dogs NEVER get over that.I have owned one breed--I will not name it,as it is NOT all of the breed that does this....but he would ALWAYS go in his crates.No matter how many times bleached/cleaned with enzyme cleaners.We bought the smallest crate for him and that still did no good.
Patience and consistancy is the key.When they wake up,out they go--UNTIL they go to the bathroom....then praises and treats(can be a piece of thier dog food).After they eat/drink--right back out.If they don't go,then they are crated/tethered.Then back out in about 15 min.
Jazzy,who we adopted from the shelter at 4 months old--took about 2 months to really get the hint to pee/poop outside.
We even bought a special toy for her,that she got ONLY when she went potty outside.
If he's been in a cage,he may not like the feel of grass.I would try something with no grass and see how that works.GOOD LUCK!!!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im gonna add some advice also but alot of what you have gotten already is really good stuff.

I was having problems with my mini doxie peeing and pooping over night while we were sleeping. He suddenly developed an aversion to going outside during the winter and spring because of how windy it was. I would take him out every half an hour to hour and make him stay outside till he went potty and literally stalk him so when he did go I was all over him giving him tons of kisses and "good puppy" stuff.

I think in the case of you having a rescue dog the best possible thing you can do is put him on a tether (my golden will only go potty on his 100ft tether) and stay outside with him while he is on it and everytime you see him go give him tons of pets, kisses, and scritches telling him how good he is. It seems like his life has been pretty rough until you adopted him so it may take a while but eventually he will get used to having a loving home. Since he was found in a cage...crate training may not be the best thing it may cause more emotional harm to him than good because he will already have it in his head that a crate is bad. You would probably have better luck confining him in a smaller room, kitchen mudroom something like that. If he is peeing on the couch then dont keep him in the living room overnight.

Its possible to that if he is having some anxiety and accidents over night that he is stressed because he cant get near you. My golden had this problem with chewing, he destroyed whatever he could get his mouth on because while he had the whole living room and kitchen to be in all he knew was that he was seperated from his people. Maybe it would be possible to shut your bedroom door and keep him in there overnight. If he is having issues overnight and seperated from you guys. Also as an after thought, take away his water over night, and also you can try just giving him water with his meals till you get the housebreaking done or schedule his water time. Eventually you can get to the point of trusting him with the water 24/7 once he gets the housebreaking down and learns how to alert you to the fact that he needs to go outside.

The best thing you can do is just start back from the beginning and use TONS of positive reenforcement so he realizes that pottying outside is a good thing. I hope things get better with him!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found the first dog that I ever owned abandoned on the side of a road. She was emaciated, had just finished weaning puppies, her teeth were kicked out and she had ever parasite known to dog. She was fear submissive to the point that if you reached out your hand to pet her, she'd hunch down in fear and pee. She was about 18 months old and was not house broken.

Housebreaking Ellie Mae was a real challenge. After using every "normal" technique suggested by dog training books, we decided to take her to an obedience trainer. Gail fell in love with Ellie Mae's story and helped us with her emotional issues, because if those hadn't been addressed, she was not going to stop her habit of peeing in the house. She knew that we wanted her to pee outside, she just couldn't consistently do it.

We did use all the tips about housebreaking a puppy (many of them mentioned above). What we had to over emphasize was the Noble Peace winning level praise when she did pee outside (or do anything good for that matter). We always asked her to "go potty" when she went outside and used the word "good potty" when she went so that she learned what it meant. We had to build confidence in her that she was always going to have consistent food (make this a strong ritual), water, shelter and plenty of love. We baby gated off a section of the house where she couldn't ruin the floor, but did not use anything in the house for her to pee on (like puppy pads, paper, etc). You do NOT want an adult dog to feel that it is OK to pee in the house at any time. We tried a crate for her but it only made her more insecure and she would pee in it.

After doing all of this for about 6 months and still having accidents (it was better but not solved), our trainer suggested to put a "diaper" on her while she was in the house. She suggested buying toddler training pants (they are very thick), and cutting a hole in them to fit their tail. You can slide them up their legs, stick their tail through the hole and they stay on. We used them the first time we caught her peeing in the house and she absolutely HATED them, even though we went out of our way to be all smiles and happy with her when we put them on her. Very important here - if you use these, don't put them on with the attitude of punishing her, but make her think that this is a happy moment for her. But they always came off when she went outside, and if she peed outside, we left them off her for a while in the house. If she failed to pee outside, we put them back on her immediately upon entering the house (yippy Ellie Mae, we get to put on the diaper again!). She actually quickly learned that failure to pee outside meant the dreaded toddler pants, and she housebroke in about a week. I felt absolutely cruel to do this, but it worked.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After you rule out a UTI...

CRATE TRAINING.

If he's in the crate at night he can't be peeing in your house. You can also crate him when you can't watch him.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried but it wont work he was kept crated for at best guess months to a year. SIGNIFICANT urine burns to his feet from laying in it. Then was caged at shelter for few weeks He will pee/poop in crate and just sit in it..lovely mess in am...Id rather clean it off the concrete then let his body degrade like that.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2dogmom
You may be onto something with the feeling safer/possibly more relaxed and he can fully drain himself both ways

I am starting to keep a log of what I do-feeding going out to stores...just anything I can think of that is not the normal m-f hubby goes to work I walk dog short(to humid) trips except if we go out we will circle the petsmart a few times then go grab a cart

Letting him out while I/We get ready seems to help-especially if hes not coming along. Also when its rained and we were going out I put his muzzle on in house to just stop some barking as usually when he barks ALOT he pees(that sounds like anxiety attack. its not just us leaving that could do that tho-If I am making cats food I gate off kitchen so I dont have to worry about stolen empty cans
and he will do it then to.

Hubby takes him out on alot longer walks/few runs depending on heat. He LOVES that comes home drinks and stays tied out till right before we go upstairs(about 30 minutes)

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear things are improving.
Like I said (or tried to
) there are several things going on.

1-One is whether or not he understands what you expect of him as far as where to mess and where not to.

2-The other is that he is now safe with people who are going to be nice to him and that is something he is not used to.

I think you will see progress on both fronts and that especially the further you get with #2 the better things will be with #1. From everything you said about this dog's past I would stay far away from crates. If they were used to punish and abuse him it will only scare heck out of him and set back the adjustment.

I think Momofmany had a good suggestion with the doggy diapers. Personally I wouldn't try them until I'd given the dog more time to adjust. You may find that as he learns to be a pet dog he'll figure it out. If he knows basic obedience commands like 'sit' and 'stay' practice those for a few minutes daily so he can earn himself a treat and get the feeling he understands what you expect of him.