Typical Weight Gain 9 Mo Old Kittens?

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's typical weight gain for 9 mo/40 week old kittens? None of the sites I've found really say. I never worried about our cats' weight before, but since starting homemade food I have been. (DH says I'm not happy unless I'm worried about something.)

I'm trying to make sure they eat their minimum each day but since 4/23 Cinder hasn't gained anything. She may have lost .2lb, but I'm not sure since my son weighed her the first time and she's been consistently 7.2lbs when I've weighed her. Toothless gained .8lb between 4/23 & 5/3 and is 10lbs now. He was the runt of the litter. They've got another weigh-in tonight so I'd like to know if I should keep worrying about this or find something else. :lol:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
They may be getting more protein and less garbage in your homemade thus making for more lean muscle. I believe growth slows somewhat at 8-9 months. My nearly 9 month olds are 10lb.s and 8.5 siblings.
If they continue to lose weight they may not be getting enough calories to gain and grow properly. Generally any questions that go beyond common sense with food and quantity/type should be directed to your vet. It's nice to know someone else weighs their 9 month old kits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's good to know your 9 mo olds are as big as Toothless. 12 yr Laelia is 9.4 lbs so I was afraid he was getting too big, even though he looks lean. I'm not convinced Cinder lost weight, I wonder if my son weighed her differently than I do. But she definitely hasn't gained weight, which worries me. I'm not sure how to get her to gain more weight. I offer her food whenever she's around and kept more skin in this latest batch to up the calories. Maybe I need to have the kids feed her treats between meals?

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are some specific threads here for Raw diets and homemade food. I was worried about Toad because she seemed to be falling so far behind but now she is on a growth spurt.
If yours are like mine they are hard to weigh because of the wiggling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are! I'm using the unscientific method of weighing myself with cat, then without cat. It's especially challenging because Laelia and Cinder hate to be held. :rolleyes2:

I've been in the homemade food areas but thought this topic fit here better. Sometimes it's hard to figure out where to post when there's topic overlap. :biggrin:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
They are! I'm using the unscientific method of weighing myself with cat, then without cat. It's especially challenging because Laelia and Cinder hate to be held. :rolleyes2:

I've been in the homemade food areas but thought this topic fit here better. Sometimes it's hard to figure out where to post when there's topic overlap. :biggrin:
I don't know how often you weigh. We weigh them every two weeks now as opposed to daily or twice a day when they were days old. 2 oz isn't much but if you weigh weekly and see a decrease again you probably need to up the calories. Again someone who feeds homemade could probably look at your cats diet and tell you if it was accurate.