Types of "Shredded" (chicken free) Wet food for picky cat?

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I have suspected that our cat has food allergies, I have recently switched her over to a grain free dry food by PC called Nutrition First (in Canada), which contains no by-products/chicken or poultry. The ingredient list seems very clean, and this is a much more affordable option for us. Interestingly, even when I did receive some samples of the higher-cost brand name foods, she refused to eat them.

Now that she has gotten used to this food and enjoys eating it, I would like to switch her wet food to something that is chicken free. We started her on friskies after we adopted her, and I gradually tried to make a switch over to some brands with a cleaner list of ingredients (natures balance/royal canin/tikki cat/boreal and a few others). The problem with all of these foods was that it seems that the only options are paté or "mousse," especially for the chicken free brands. My cat absolutely hates paté and she usually does not like the foods with larger chunks of meat in them. She will only really eat the "shredded" friskies brand. I also tried to switch her over to a duck/rabbit diet to see if that would help with some of her allergy symptoms, but she absolutely hates those flavours. :(

Are there chicken-free options that are similar in consistency to friskies? If not chicken free, are there a few higher end brands that have fewer fillers like this?

Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you checked to see if the Nutrition First comes in wet food? Often manufacturers sell both wet and dry foods. Otherwise that's a tall order, and we need to know what you mean by "clean" food. I'm guessing limited ingredient, but do you also mean no carrageenan, no guar gum, etc? Does she like beef? Is fish ok? Have you looked at Earthborn? Not sure if it's even still around, but I do know it's in small shreds, and they have a beef flavor, and possibly a few fish flavors (and of course, chicken :frown:

Weruva has some non chicken flavors and there's is usually shredded. I don't know, mine don't like shredded food. I believe Fussie Cat is shredded too, Again, though, not sure what you mean by "clean".

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the chart here:

You can sort it by texture and chicken free, among any other criteria.