Tylosin vs. Metronidazole

Kittymama2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, my 7 month old kitten starting developing diarrhea a few weeks ago, tested negative for all worms including giardia and the vet wants to try antibiotics. She prescribed Metronidazole but I've read it's quite toxic with horrid side effects. I asked about Tylosin since I've read it comes with less negative side effects- they said they could get me a liquid form that is palatable for my kitten. Anyone have any thoughts on these medications for diarrhea? Anyone try the liquid flavored Tylosin? Pilling is out of the question unfortunately.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently had to give Metronidazole to my cat for diarrhoea with no side effects that I could see. It worked within 24 hours. I haven't tried Tylosin. If its mild diarrhoea you could try s boulardii, its a probiotic. I've used it several times for very soft stools.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am giving Metro to my kitty right now, no side effects.
In addition.... This may not be helpful, but I have Tylosin in my critter meds cupboard - for my chickens! LOL! (they're prone to respiratory issues in bad weather, and if one gets a bad case the Tylosin sets them right up) None have ever suffered from the Tylosin in 7 years of dosing. Not sure if that helps... :flail:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittymama2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently had to give Metronidazole to my cat for diarrhoea with no side effects that I could see. It worked within 24 hours. I haven't tried Tylosin. If its mild diarrhoea you could try s boulardii, its a probiotic. I've used it several times for very soft stools.
Thanks so much! She definitely needs the medication as the diarrhea has persisted for a few weeks now going from soft to liquid now😕. Did you administer in pill form or liquid? I'm always nervous about giving medication to my kittens. One is very food motivated, but this kitten will smell it from a mile away. I hope I can get the flavored compound liquid to put into wet food.

Kittymama2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am giving Metro to my kitty right now, no side effects.
In addition.... This may not be helpful, but I have Tylosin in my critter meds cupboard - for my chickens! LOL! (they're prone to respiratory issues in bad weather, and if one gets a bad case the Tylosin sets them right up) None have ever suffered from the Tylosin in 7 years of dosing. Not sure if that helps... :flail:
That's great to hear, thanks!
How do you administer the metro?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine was a little blue tablet, they are small. You could coat it in some butter, cheese or try pill pockets.

Kittymama2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pilling isn't so bad if you use Pill Pockets or something similar.

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Did the vet determine the cause of the diarrhea? Recent food change? Eating something that upset the tummy (plants, something yummy in the trash can, random thing on the floor, etc)? Stress?
Thanks so much for those links! Might just have to run out and get that ham baby food☺.
No, we have no idea why she's having diarrhea, but she's had a few episodes of vomiting (just food and liquid) and consistent diarrhea for the last 2 weeks, so definitely not something that resolved on its own. Don't believe she's stressed. Possibly a new food, but am not sure. I am wondering about a possible allergy. She seems to be itchy as well... Just tested for all worms and now trying the antibiotics. If the diarrhea persists, which I pray it won't, then we'll do some more testing.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great to hear, thanks!
How do you administer the metro?
It's a liquid, I give it by syringe in the corner of her mouth. It's just a little sploosh - and it's not nasty. (I haven't tasted it but she doesn't foam or try to spit it out or struggle or anything like they do when it's something awful and bitter)