Trying To Introduce Bored Cat To Outdoors/ Negative Results/ Need Advice

kfitzgerrell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
My sweet guy is about 7yrs old and an indoor cat. He seems to be so bored lately, sleeping all day, not too interested in playing, and staring at me like hes asking for something. We are in a new home where I can bring him outside easier. On a few occasions I have sat on the patio and opened the door while he began to explore. He absolutely LOVES it, however now I created a problem. He spent the next 3 days crying at the door wanting outside. Its happened a few times so I decided I just cant let him outside anymore. But I feel bad seeing how bored he looks up here. Any advice? I wish I could let him outside an hour a day but it seems like torture when he spends the next day crying to get out. (I had to create a barrier guarding the door because he ended up scratching the door pretty bad when wanting back out). Also cant let him outside alone- other animals on the property that I dont think are friendly and my kitty is missing a leg so extra concerned for his safety. Anyone experience something similar? all advice welcome

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you build a catio, there is a good variety to choose from.
He can have the benefit of being outside and being safe.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree...and there are all sorts of catio designs, including window boxes for homes with less available actual yard.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If catio is not an option, you can create some sort of an outside routine for him, eg. take him out everyday (no exceptions) at 7pm for an hour. That works for some cats and he may quiet down for the remaining of the day.

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you take him out on a leash ? Treats and a clicker might help for him to associate going out with a positive experience, more than walking it will be a lot of standing and waiting but he will enjoy it as long as it is done at his own pace not yours :-)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give a cat an inch, they want a mile. She's a witch She's a witch has a possible answer -- routine. To which I would add, "with clear cues." In other words, don't only do it at X o'clock every day, but set an alarm to go off at X o'clock. Clear cues, routine, and don't vary or give in at other times. May not work for all cats, YMMV, but its the best try if you want to continue to allow some outside time.

I do want to say though, that it sounds like you are doing monitored excursions and I'm not sure that is a totally reliable thing without an exclosure or leash. Sooner or later as confidence grows, he may decide to go for an amble and just about any cat can evade just about any human if they really want too. So I'm not sure that there is a permanent reliable niche for monitored excursions only. Maybe for some cats, but just because a cat is a little chunky or inactive doesn't necessarily mean they won't bolt on you.