Two young cats not using litter box correctly

Introvertigo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I'd be so very grateful for any advice you all may have.

So...I have two 'tween' cats, lol. Not sure how to describe them exactly, since they're not kittens anymore but not fully grown cats either. Mozzie is almost 10 months and Skeech is almost 8 months old. They have some other behavioral issues which maybe I'll post about later, but the main one is that neither of them is using the litter box the right way.

Now, I almost feel un-PC in stating it that way, because if this was a person I was talking about (well obviously not with a litter box issue, certainly hope not anyway 🤔) you'd be correct in saying that there's no 'right' way to do whatever specific thing I was talking about, and that the way this person chose to do it was the right way for them ~ even if I may have disagreed with it.

However, this is felines we're talking about here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that it's considered proper behavior for a cat to kick litter over their business when in the litter box, and that their natural instinct was to cover it up.

Well, these two rapscallions take a different approach. Instead of burying their business, they prefer to scratch the top and sides of the litter box itself, not really kicking any litter over it at all (unless they agressively kick and end up sending litter etc. right out the box and onto the floor.

If I remember correctly, Skeech was initially kicking the litter over it but he picked up Mozzie's bad habits and now is full-on scratching the box but NOT the litter🥴.

You might say, what's the big deal? So the toilet's exposed instead of covered up...not so bad, right? Well yeah I guess, but I think you'd agree that it definitely helps with odor control and general sanitariness (not sure if that's a word but you know what I mean) if the toilet is covered vs out in the open.

So that's the basic situation. Like I said, any replies, advice & info are most welcome💜

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

As I started to read your post, I wondered what they were doing wrong about using the litter box, but then smiled as I realized what their "problem" was, as my Ruby girl is exactly the same.

I've seen Ruby sniff, then scratch the top of the litter box, sniff again, and scratch the top of the litter box again, and then finally give up and leave her "deposit" uncovered. Fortunately, for the most part, things don't get too stinky, and she seldom sends litter all over the floor. Unfortunately I have no idea how to change her behaviour, so I have no advice for you either.

The only suggestion would be to buy higher sided litter boxes, or possibly even a covered one.

My other thought is if their poop is really stinky, maybe a change of food could help.

Back to not covering, if it helps at all, it's not an uncommon thing. In fact, a quick search found these 4 threads on the topic, and I suspect there's been many more over the years.
My Cat Doesn't cover Her poop or pee
Cat doesn't cover urine
Cat Doesn't "COVER" Stuff in Litter Box!!!
My cat doesn't cover her feces...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you read the threads (links provided above), I think you will see not covering litter deposits is more common that you might have thought.

So, I will jump on the 'band wagon' and tell you that Feeby (17+ yo) has never covered anything in her litter box; sometimes she will paw at the sides of the box, but mostly she doesn't do that either. I just go behind her and cover it until I clean it out.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cat doesn't cover her bathroom activity either! I have another cat who covers it sometimes but not others. They are both around 13. You could experiment with different litters to see if one inspires them to cover their business. But, when it comes to litter box behaviors, my motto is generally, "Leave well enough alone. . . "

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice? Invest in covered litter boxes with some charcoal filters in them (like the Buddha dome.) Maybe a diet change is in order.

I like the idea of covering up their poop afterwards & I hope it will work. 🤞🏼

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple "excavators." They dig, dig, dig, and fling litter all around. They scratch around the top of the box, the wall, the cabinet and the floor next to the box. Then they go and dig in and around the other cat box. Very thorough, but sometimes they don't cover up the poopsters. It's just how they are (and I think the youngest learned the behavior from her big "brother"). They don't like covered boxes, either.

The third cat is just fine with his litter box habits. Go figure.

Fortunately, the odor isn't too very offensive. Scented litter seems to be doing the job in large part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Introvertigo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your informative replies! I have tried different types of litter as well as boxes, and the scratching behavior has persisted. I am glad to know that others have experienced this also, and that you don't consider it a behavior to try and eliminate.

I was under the Impression that this was abnormal behavior because I thought their instinct told them to bury their "deposits" and that this shouldn't need to be taught.
I had already contacted two cat behaviorists about it, but they were both not accepting new clients at this time. Maybe I should take this as a sign that I really don't need to hire someone like that in this case🤔

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought their instinct told them to bury their "deposits"
I'm thinking their instinct to bury their deposits is what triggers the scratching at the top and sides of the litter box. However, their ancestors would not have plastic boxes filled with grit for a bathroom, so some 21st century cats haven't quite got the hang of indoor facilities yet. ;)