Two years today since Maddie crossed the bridge

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not in need of comfort, just posting in memory of her. She was my dear girl, not the most demonstrative or playful cat, but I loved her. She never much liked Phoebe, and I suspect would have been happier as an only cat. Yet Phoebe pined for her when she crossed the bridge, and it was only days before I adopted my darling Daisy. It was a sudden passing, she started vomiting everything, the vets diagnosed IBD, gave her medicine, that didn’t help and giving it to her stressed her enormously, then they did more tests and found it was cancer and all they could do was palliative care ... and that was just as distressing for her, so I soon made the decision to let her go Home. She was just short of being fourteen.

1AF0AF66-586C-45E8-8A36-CEED2EB60887.jpeg

5FF6B918-C4F8-4B0C-868B-FF8AD6CC56C4.jpeg

BA1F24C0-C1A0-4929-8891-D245EE07A5DF.jpeg

71187AB5-34A3-470B-94F4-1A2181F346DA.jpeg

22FF3AAA-167C-453D-B070-99FE8EDD106D.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, apart from being bullied by Phoebe and her final (and only) illness, she did. During her last two years she gave my sister’s dogs a hard time when she encountered them during her walks and enjoyed surveying her realm from the deck.

Last edited:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s even worse. Mads was obviously ill, I think the cancer had raced through her.
Yes, that's what happened to our dog Callan, there was nothing we could do. Kokanee had that tumor for over 2 years until it grew too big and down into her foot. Vet said it was time.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's what happened to our dog Callan, there was nothing we could do. Kokanee had that tumor for over 2 years until it grew too big and down into her foot. Vet said it was time.
We lost our big tabby boy Thomas to a tumour in ‘93. It was on his neck and I don’t know how long it was there - he had a thick neck and thick fur and was not a lap cat or cuddler, so we didn’t get to handle him much. He came in the morning he was due to go into a boarding cattery while we were overseas with a huge swelling. We thought (hoped) it was an abscess, though he wasn’t a fighter. Cancelled the cattery, that, left him at the vet - we were flying out the next day. Faxes between our London hotel and the vet, and the news was that it was a malignant tumour and spread all around his arteries and veins, and all they could do was euthanise him before he was in pain. He was only eight. We never got to say goodbye, and I have never felt so bad, for so long, about a cat’s death as with his.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here’s to Maddie! Long may she wave! LOVE the black toe pad with pink toe beans. How long did it take to train her on the leash? How old was she when you started?
She was about eleven or twelve, and you know I don’t remember how long it took? Not that long, I think. She was never scared of or upset by the harness or leash (not like Phoebe, who collapses and stays collapsed, lol).

Zerthax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yet Phoebe pined for her when she crossed the bridge, and it was only days before I adopted my darling Daisy.
We went through a similar experience. Our Alex and Nimbus were a bonded pair, and Nimbus became very upset when Alex passed. He didn't misbehave, but he was clearly not being himself. The best way to describe it would be mopey.

We adopted Cali just a few months later.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went through a similar experience. Our Alex and Nimbus were a bonded pair, and Nimbus became very upset when Alex passed. He didn't misbehave, but he was clearly not being himself. The best way to describe it would be mopey.

We adopted Cali just a few months later.
Phoebe was wandering around crying so much, it was only five days later I adopted Daisy.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful kitty!

My hugs go out to you. We had a similar encounter with our first boy, Sonny. Lover of the wild, master of everyone. He stole our hearts from the day we brought him home as a kitten.
He was always a tough guy, but was the first to lick your tears from your face if you were upset. Sadly, right after his 14th birthday, he too began vomiting a lot. Over the course of three days he declined so much, and we finally found he had stomach cancer. We made the most difficult but loving decision that day.

Funny enough, his brothers also pined for him. He was their leader in shenanigans. We ended up adopting a little girl cat who's now their queen. 😉

They all live on in our lives, whether they're with us here or somewhere over the rainbow bridge. :redheartpump::angel:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lost our big tabby boy Thomas to a tumour in ‘93. It was on his neck and I don’t know how long it was there - he had a thick neck and thick fur and was not a lap cat or cuddler, so we didn’t get to handle him much. He came in the morning he was due to go into a boarding cattery while we were overseas with a huge swelling. We thought (hoped) it was an abscess, though he wasn’t a fighter. Cancelled the cattery, that, left him at the vet - we were flying out the next day. Faxes between our London hotel and the vet, and the news was that it was a malignant tumour and spread all around his arteries and veins, and all they could do was euthanise him before he was in pain. He was only eight. We never got to say goodbye, and I have never felt so bad, for so long, about a cat’s death as with his.
I'm so sorry. That must've been so hard.