Two year old neutered male urinating in clothes!

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have always had that problem with Foley since we got him. I dont know why he likes to pee in our clothes. at first it was only my boyfriends but now he is peeing in my expensive nighties and everything else that i leave in the laundry basket. what can be causing this and what can i do to stop it. my boyfriend tells me to put my dirty laundry in plastic bags but thats just a temporary solution. 

we have another kitten the same age, she is a 2 year old baby girl. they have the territory business all worked out so really i have no idea why he would be doing this!

thank you in advance for your help

Yobana :) 

lolcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is his litter box always clean? Has he seen a vet? It could be a Urinary tract infection If hislitter box is always clean I suggest going to a vet It could be caused medically

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How long have you had Foley?  Lolcat is right about seeing a vet.. it's the first port of call in this kind of situation as cats well wee on clothes and 'comfortable' places when they have a UTI. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have had him since he was 5 months old. could i UTI last so long. I mean he has being doing that since we got him. he also peed in a bag i had i my shoe closet and now all the closet stinks. this was a while back though. is not only clothes he likes to do it on. he likes bags and boxes too 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jackson Galazy's, "My Cat From Hell" recently had an episode where one of the cats was peeing on her boyfriends clothes.  The first suggestion was to make sure the litter box is sparkling clean.  Also how many litter boxes do you have?  For 2 cats, he recommends at least 3.  Also be sure the litter boxes are big enough.  I use Sterlite containers as they are nice and large and deeper than a standard litter box.  Also most cats don't like covered litter boxes.  I would first suggest, do not leave any clothes laying around.  Put them all in a laundry container with a lid or in the laundry room.  Then place a litter box where they laundry basket used to be.  Have you tried different types of litter?  Is your cat declawed?  Cats that are declawed sometimes have problems with cat litter.  It can hurt/irritate where the claws used to be. 

lolcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its probably a UTI take him to the vet or, Wipe your cat's bottom with a clean, moist towel after he urinates. This will help to remove any bacteria before it has a chance to work its way back into his system. Switch to an all-natural cat food Sometimes the chemicals and additives in some cat foods can aggravate a UTI. A natural cat food may help ease some of the discomfort

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@ShadowsRescue  we have only one litter box in the bathroom and it is covered, mostly because Foley makes a mess every time he covers his BM or urine. The apartment we live in is pretty small and i do have two other litter boxes that I am going to place around where he usually likes to pee. He is not declawed and I have tried different litter types. The thing is he still goes to his litter box but as soon as he sees or smells clothes around he goes straight to them and pees. i feed him fancy feast and healthy weight purina cat chow besides the behavioral issue he does not show any other type of symptoms.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might help to replace the box.  The old box may be holding onto odors, even if we cannot smell them.  Also, you might ought to consider getting another box for the living room.

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i washed the litter box yesterday and let it soaking with lysol for a while. i dont know if that might help get rid of the odor. i will place a litter box in the room . thanks for your help

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i washed the litter box yesterday and let it soaking with lysol for a while. i dont know if that might help get rid of the odor. i will place a litter box in the room . thanks for your help
Cats often don't like the scent left behind from cleaners.  It's best to start with a brand new litter box.  Get one without a lid.  The rule of thumb is one litter box for each cat plus one extra.  So go out and get some more litter boxes.  You may not need them forever, but for now you do. 

Also if you have not thoroughly cleaned the area where he has been peeing, he will keep returning as he smells his scent there.  You need to get a black light and find all traces of pee and then clean it with an enzyme based product.  Do not use anything with ammonia as it will just bring the cat right back.  There are lots of products on the market.  I like Fizzion

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hellooo...sorry to hear of your urine trouble, I've been dealing with some myself lately.

Just wanted to offer an idea for a cleaning agent: Nature's Miracle Stain and Odor Remover "Just for Cats." It zaps the odors so it reinforces them to not return to that spot.

Best of luck and keep us posted! You'll get through this :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Keep in mind that a lot of cats won't wee where they poo! It may be a simple as that.

All ShadowsRescue's  litter box advice  is really appropriate.