Two Separate Issues: Enlarged Kidney(?) and FeLV Testing

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may have to take in my Aunt's 13 y/o cat because her children are trying to force her to move and she won't be permitted to take her cat. I have a few questions/concerns.

Issue #1:
This cat has had what appears to be an enlarged kidney for about four years now. She has seen three different vets and not one of them has noticed - it's not in the records and has never been addressed. I'm sure it's an enlarged kidney. The "lump" is very noticeable when petting her and it's only on one side - in the kidney area.

I'd like this lump examined before taking the cat. The family has agreed to pay for food, supplies, and veterinary care, but I think it's best to have this looked at before taking the cat. If it may become costly down the road, I want them to know beforehand. The cat had blood work in early November and everything was great. Should she just have an x-ray and go from there? I can't imagine they'll want or can afford to spend $750 on an ultrasound. I can't afford that, I have my own cats to worry about. And honestly, even if there is a kidney problem, she is extremely difficult to medicate. And sub-q fluids are never going to happen with this cat. I'd lose a finger or some body part for sure.

Issue #2:
I always test cats for FeLV before bringing them in the house. That test costs around $50, at 13 years old, is it necessary? If she had it, wouldn't she have shown issues by now? If she is infected, it would've happened more than two years ago. I'm assuming that a cat would only live a few years after infection, so she may not even need to be tested. I would love more info on this if anyone knows anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Ask your vet about if an x-ray would suffice as a starting point to determine what this 'lump' is. A lump that has been around that long doesn't seem likely to be cancer related. It could even be something as simple as a non-cancerous tumor growth on one of her adrenal glands, which sits right on top of the kidneys. And, there are a ton of ways to administer meds that don't require your finger or other body part being 'lost'. As far as sub q fluids, that is for another day once you have more information about what is going on.

Has this cat ever had any vaccinations? While no vaccination totally guarantees prevention, it makes it much less likely. And, I would gather your cats have been vaccinated as well? Under the circumstances and what you know about this cat's past, ask your vet if they think it is even necessary.

Too many variables play a role in this situation. Get the basic tests done and see where that leads you. You can always start to look around for rescue centers who deal with fosters and other volunteers who might be interested in finding this cat a new home with someone who wants to take care of an older cat and doesn't have other cats to worry about. They are out there...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do think that lump probably is NOT an enlarged kidney or else three different Vets would have said something, plus bloodwork over the course of four years surely would have shown something. (I've had three kidney cats so am well acquainted with kidney disease).

As to item 2, I tend to think there is no issue, but there are no guarantees. Probably the cat has had vaccinations in their life and even if not lately, might have built up enough resistance to it to last a lifetime. Also, cats with FeLV do tend to have issues so if this cat appears healthy, then she probably is FeLV free.