Two Pregnant Cats - What Should I Expect?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Demi's demanding, she wants people to be with her all the time and paying attention to her. She's very sweet, but it's a bit much. I think she's calming down a bit, but she doesn't really spend a lot of time with her kittens. She's still fiercely protective over them towards strangers but doesn't have any issue with me messing with them.
I put Bailey in for a visit, the two get along really well and started playing together.

I am worried about Demi's kittens, I weighed them again today.
Stripe 4.4oz (+.3)
Gizmo 4.6oz (+.1)
Mogwai 3.5oz (no change)
Gremlin 4.1oz (+.1)

They should each be gaining .5 oz a day right? I think I'll start bottle feeding twice a day to help supplement. If they don't start gaining a bit more each day I'll see if I can find someone to help bottle-feed around the clock and get them and Demi to the vet.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
False alarm! So relieved
It was an issue with the scale, I went back to double-check and found their weights to be much more acceptable range.

Stripe 4.8oz
Gizmo 5.1oz
Mogwai 3.8oz
Gremlin 4.3oz

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Arwen's active kittens are starting to live up to their names.
They're just the cutest bunch of fluff balls.
I moved the litter boxes closer to their nesting area and I'll start helping them learn how to use it starting next week.

Cookies, Cream, and Beckett will be leaving this weekend. I think I'll be dropping them off on Friday when I bring everyone in for a check-up. They have spay/neuter dates set for Monday and Tuesday.
I can't believe they're going so soon!

Demi's kittens are growing healthy and strong despite my previous concerns. They're doing so well, I can see a couple are starting to open their eyes a little.

I'll be adding a new pregnant foster cat soon, a seal point named Charlize.
I think I might stop posting here soon. With everyone doing well and a group leaving so soon I don't really know if I'm using this forum right anymore.
I love posting updates, but I think I might just limit future posts in this thread to when I need help again.
I'll find a new outlet to boast my household's cute kitten stories.
Thank you so much for all of your help and for sticking with me for this long.
It's been wonderful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, you are welcome to continue posting your success stories with fosters. We love it! It’s also nice to hear when a group is doing well amidst so many with issues.

We also LOVE the fluff ball photos. This group is adorable - those little faces just melt me!

Please keep us posted. I’ve enjoyed following you! :)

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
<3
Thank you, I was worried that I was starting to use this more like a blog than a forum. But I really appreciate all of your advice, it's helped a lot and I would like to keep hearing from you.
If you really don't mind/want to hear more I can keep going, I would love to in fact.

It's been an interesting few days. I brought Bailey and her crew in, said goodbye to her, Cookies, Cream, and Beckett. Everyone else had their check-ups, and I went home with the pregnant Charlize and a four-week-old kitten named Sqeegee.
I came back in today because Beckett isn't quite big enough yet, and they found two of Squeegee's siblings (Squishy and Squirmy)

I have it set up so that Arwen and her group are now upstairs, and since Squeegee and his brother and sister are the same age as them they're close by waiting for an introduction.
Demi and her kittens are now downstairs and Charlize is there too, I plan to introduce the two girls slowly so they can share the downstairs for now. Then about a month from now when Charlize is ready to have her kittens, Arwen's group should be heading back, I can move Demi back upstairs and start socializing her kittens and give Charlize some more privacy.
The two girls are separated right now, but the minimal interactions they have had seem to be going well. Charlize is very sweet. I'm a bit paranoid Demi will somehow find her way back into the ceiling, but she herself and her babies are perfect.

Squishy and Squirmy aren't fairing so well.
All three have big pudgy bellies, likely from worms. The shelter had dewormed them and said that if it doesn't go down they'll start on some meds.
Squeegee hisses a bit and gets protective around food, his brother and sister absolutely do not like people and want to spend the day hiding. I gave them some food, Squirmy ate, but I haven't seen Squishy eat or drink anything yet. I'm thinking maybe I'll have an angry kitten burrito to bottle feed soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless you! You’ll need to work closely with the new kittens to get them socialized, whether they like it or not. They should come around.

How’s Beckett doing now that you’ve still got him without mom and siblings?

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beckett is having a blast. I sometimes leave him in with Arwen and he plays with her and her kittens, or let him have free range over the rest of the house where he gets along with my cats and dogs. You'd think he would miss Bailey, Cookies, and Cream, but I think he's just thrilled not to be cooped up.

Squishy is eating today. He looks to be the smallest of the three, but I think he'll be alright. They still have swollen bellies, but it can take a few days, the diarrhoea has stopped though.
When I had feral kittens before, I introduced them to some other group their age. I think that seeing their new buddies be so unafraid helped a bit in getting them used to people. Kittens can be pretty quick to trust other kittens.
These guys are still very young so it shouldn't be too difficult anyway.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I put the kittens together too early.
I let Squeegee, Squishy, and Squirmy meet Arwen and her kittens. They get along wonderfully, Arwen's even tried nursing Squeegee and Squishy. (Squishy I think could really use that kind of thing right now. He's very bony.)
But I think it might have been a mistake because I don't actually know if the three are healthy enough yet. I am now scared Arwen and her kittens might catch something from the other kittens since I messed up with quarantine.
Hopefully, it'll be fine, but I really should have waited and been more careful.

More news, the shelter found two more kittens where they got Squeegee and his siblings, I now have brought home Squirely and Squily. They look similar, but I think they're actually a few weeks older because they look a bit bigger.
I've been warned that Squily seems lethargic, and maybe needs to start medicine soon.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some vomiting and diarrhoea, I thought the diarrhoea had passed but it hasn't. I'm trying to make sure I get to cleaning the poop before someone steps in it or Arwen tries to clean it. She's really taken to the new kittens, it makes me kind of happy after realizing how malnourished a couple of them are. I think she's having a much easier time getting them to eat.
They're getting a bit less fearful, but it'll take a long time to actually gain their trust. For now, just trying to keep things clean, make sure everyone has lots of kitten slurry, kitten food, and clean water.

Demi and Charlize are getting along, I let them interact a bit today and Demi headbutted Charlize and both seemed happy. (Tail's up, purring, but I was also sitting there petting both of them too. They're both little love bugs.)

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten's aren't on meds right now.
Their diarrhea has gone down, but I'll be taking them in tomorrow for a check-up to be sure. The squad's weights have gone down since I took them in, although they are all eating and becoming more active and outgoing.

I did everyone's weights this morning. I'll post them and a bit about how each group is doing.

Beckett - 1lb 13oz,
waiting for him to gain a bit more not sure why he's fallen a bit behind now, he was doing so well. He's very happy and doesn't seem to be sick, the shelter isn't worried so I'm thinking he'll be fine.
He was trying to nurse from our Chihuahua today, it was cute but the dog was too confused for me to let him continue. I have an old picture of them together I can't remember if I posted here.

Arwen’s kids-
Tumble 1lb
Hop 14.4oz
Bounce 15.2oz
Pounce 1lb
Skip 15.4oz
Skitter 1lb 2oz

This group is doing great. I can tell now for sure that Tumble, Bounce, and Skitter are boys while Hop, Pounce, and Skip are girls. They're outgoing kittens and eat solids fairly well. They need practice using the litter box, and I'm still not sure about their new buddies, but so far everyone is healthy and happy. Fingers crossed they stay that way.

The squad-
Squeegee 11.8oz
Squirmy 12.7oz
Squishy 10.1oz
Squilly 12.8oz
Squirrelly 1lb 4oz

My new trouble group. I can't tell Squeegee and Squishy apart, aside from that Squishy is a little smaller. This group is tiny, they should be about the same weights as Arwen's kittens, but are actually closer to Demi's aside from Squirrelly who seems the healthiest of the bunch. She's currently the shyest, as the others gave up hissing at me and no longer run away when I look at them.

Demi’s kids-
Stripe 11.4oz
Gizmo 11.3oz
Gremlin 10.7oz
Mogwai 10oz

A little over two weeks old now, they're starting to be more like small cats. Demi's doing a great job with them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They all seem to be okay, in the range or close, but none need to lose weight. The diarrhea may need treatment.

Thanks for posting such a comprehensive update! You’re doing a great job with all these cuties! :)

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry it’s been a while! Things have been busy.
The squad were put on panacur and albon for five days, that’s done now and we’re just watching for symptoms.
Beckett is going back this afternoon, he’s scheduled for neutering tomorrow.
Demi has been moved up two floors as she once again found a way into the ceiling. I figured out of everyone she’s be the best around the dogs and being in an upstairs bathroom is probably best for teaching her kittens to use the litter box. So far she’s enjoying it.
Charlize is getting bigger everyday.
Watching Arwen and her kittens for signs of sickness but so far so good. The little fluff butts always need cleaning up though.
Everyone is gaining weight and while I won’t say we’re in the clear yet, we’re getting there.
I buried my pet cat yesterday, having kittens around to cuddle helps I think.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beckett was adopted on his very first day of being made available.

Everyone went for check-ups this week.
Arwen was dehydrated, being around so many kittens is really taking it's toll on her. She's now getting Pedialyte mixed with her food and spending lots of time away from the kittens. She's actually made herself quite at home, doesn't care about my own dogs or cats, just does as she pleases. I had to cover the trash can though and keep her away from the table during dinner, she's found a love for table scraps and people food and feels like she can just walk over and take whatever we have. She reminds me a lot of an old cat I used to have.
She's already looking a lot better since we started giving her Pedialyte.
Arwen's kittens are healthy as can be, I think they'll probably be leaving in another week or two to be spayed or neutered.

Demi and her group are healthy, Demi is eating a ton, it's almost difficult to keep up with keeping her bowl filled. Her kittens should probably be started on slurry soon, but there's no rush. Demi wants to come back downstairs, I think she was really invested in that ceiling idea. But where she is now is probably the best place for her and her kittens right now.

The squad is a mixed bag.I think Squirrelly is starting to warm up to me, she knows I bring the food and isn't too fussy about being picked up. She absolutely loves to play. She'll still hiss at anyone who approaches her though. Squirmy has found a hiding spot inside a couch when she goes in there isn't much we can do but wait for her to come out on her own. Then she always runs back under when she sees us. She's out now, we're trying to keep her away from that room but Arwen keeps pushing the door open.
Now for health... Squirrelly, Squeegee, and Squirmy are all healthy. They're gaining well and are catching up to Arwen's kittens.
But Squilly and Squishy? We're monitoring those two now. When kitten weight day came around Squilly weighed about the same as Demi's bunch, and Squishy was even smaller. I'll get to weighing those two everyday to make sure they're gaining.
Squilly is catching right up, gaining 4oz in two days. It seems a bit fast to me. The poor guy eats like he's starving and is always the most aggressive about eating. He prefers just drinking the kitten formula on a plate or bowl, so I'll try to serve him lots of that while still offering slurry and dry food.
Squishy gained .6oz in two days. He's not losing, but not doing near as well eating. He hardly seems to have much appetite. I've started feeding him with a syringe, making sure he gets at least a bit of formula in his mouth at every feeding. I've also been given a calorie gel tube (I can't remember what it's called... the gel you put on a cat's paw for them to lick off? But instead of being for hairballs it's for additional calories..), so I also give him a bit of that or try to mix it in with his formula.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Things sound good overall!

Hurray for Beckett and his new forever home!

Is Arwen getting enough protein in addition to the pedialyte?

The Nutrical gel is excellent for extra calories.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Squishy is now in a new foster home
He had worms really bad, they treated him overnight and now want him kept separate and monitored. I don't have the space or time he needs to recover, so he's going to stay somewhere he can get that attention and care.

Everyone else is healthy and they're doing great.
My main worry now is with getting Squirmy and Squirrelly to actually trust us. Currently Squirmy is hiding inside our couch, we want to get her out soon so she can go eat something. I think I'll have to switch rooms around again soon. Squirmy is supposed to be in the sunroom and away from our sofas, but Arwen likes to come shove the door open because it doesn't latch right in the fall.

Charlize should be having her kittens soon. Arwen and her bunch will probably be scheduled to go back soon, her babies are healthy and so big now! I'm pretty sure Skitter is well over the minimum weight for neuter and his siblings are well on their way.
I'll miss them, they were certainly the cutest batch of fluffballs. But it'll be nice to have fewer kitties to worry about.

A few pictures

aaaaaa.jpg
aaaaa.jpg
aaaa.jpg
aaa.jpg
aa.jpg

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Squishy passed sometime during the week. Not sure exactly what happened since I wasn't there.

Squeegee started showing signs, I brought them in and told the shelter Squeegee had been throwing up that morning. They notice his gums are pale and decide to keep the whole group and figure out what's going on with them.
So far they're on heavy dewormer and will be going in to the vet again in the morning.
Hoping it all goes well

Arwen's kittens are healthy and are all over two pounds or are getting there. I expect they'll have spay/neuter dates set soon. They're about 9-10 weeks now I think.
Everyone else is doing great.