Two Of Three Kittens Going To Adopter: Adjustment For Last Kitten?

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi friends,
Two of my three kittens are going to their adoptive mom this weekend. This leaves the last one, who is pretty bonded to me, but also chummy with her sibs. They are about 18 wks old. Can anyone tell me what to expect from the kitten who's staying with us? Background: all kittens are pretty integrated with 9 residents. Semiferal mama kitty being kept in spare bedroom til she gets more socialized (we tried to reintroduce her kids after spay/neuter and she's been chasing & hissing at them--not sure if playing or not). Should I be ready for a kitten who might cry for her siblings? I've been sleeping in the Kitten Room for the past few weeks to get them used to human contact. I'm worried she's going to be sad.
Anyone have experience with this, and if she's bummed, what can I do?
Thanks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may look for them for a few days and be puzzled. Let her watch you remove them.

She should get over it fairly quickly since you say she gets along with other residents.

Extra attention will help! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She may look for them for a few days and be puzzled. Let her watch you remove them.

She should get over it fairly quickly since you say she gets along with other residents.

Extra attention will help! :)
Thank you, Sarthur2! All our kitties get tons of attention..no kids, no dogs.. =) I'll let you know how it goes.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And stating the obvious, it's really going to hurt to give them away, even to a lovely, responsible friend with lots of cat experience. Sigh.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know you must be so attached after having them from birth to almost five months. At least it's a good friend so you can answer questions and check on them.

I took in a pregnant stray 2 1/2 years ago who had 4 babies, and I could not part with any of them. I kept the whole family!

It's like giving away your children! :(

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me too, our first rescue from our yard, 4 years ago, was ANOTHER semiferal mama with 4 kittens. Yep, we kept all of them. And Mama adores my husband. No one else can pet her. ;)

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi friends,
I'm back again because the household dynamics have changed in the past few days. I'm going to see if my adopter will take the quieter playful female, with her friendly, fun brother. The super outgoing female has become good buddies with a few of my Gen Pop of 9 kitties. She cuddles, grooms, and plays with at least 3 of them. Last night she elbowed in and ate dinner with the grownups, and no one batted an eye. She is playmates with one of the younger residents (aka "the Mayor")..who, come to think of it, hasn't really played that much in recent years. Another concern is the quiet one getting bullied. The largest resident, big black female, lunged at Quiet Girl this morning, and wasn't playing. She's been bullying two others in Gen Pop for years. I don't think I should give her another potential target. (It has been ugly at times).
I feel confident that super friendly female will be fine without her brother since she is pals with some of Gen Pop. I don't know--it seems like there is no good answer. Like another foster mom out there, I feel like I'm giving away my own children. Sigh. Thoughts?
Thank you.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were the friend/adopter, I would by now have my heart set on the 2 friendliest kitties. It would be easier to talk me into taking all 3 kittens than to talk me out of the friendly girl. ;) Having a third shy kitty who may keep to herself isn't too much more trouble than have 2 rambunctious kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
houseofnine houseofnine

See what the adopter wants to do.

I definitely follow your line of thinking and agree with you if the adopter agrees! :)

Last edited:

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I were the friend/adopter, I would by now have my heart set on the 2 friendliest kitties. It would be easier to talk me into taking all 3 kittens than to talk me out of the friendly girl. ;) Having a third shy kitty who may keep to herself isn't too much more trouble than have 2 rambunctious kittens.
Hello and thanks! My friend already has 3, and is single. So 5 kitties are enough. We spoke and she agreed with me, because she understands the history of my residents. She reminded me that the very friendly girl ran away from her anyway! Cats are funny. =)