Two of my (rescue) cats stolen

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Literally. I am offshore in Ireland and a very nasty and aggressive man here has literally stolen two of ,my rescued cats. One f them is 17 with special dietary needs and by now will be suffering. I am disabled and housebound and my cats are all I have. Yes I called the Gardaí ( Irish police) but no reply until I made a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman and Garda will come out this week. His email header referred to " Activities " on the island so I know what will be said. I NEED to know the exact law prefe rably criminal law not civil law. Falling apart here and more ill. Only just found out where they are. Cannot cope. can barely type

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Literally. I am offshore in Ireland and a very nasty and aggressive man here has literally stolen two of ,my rescued cats. One f them is 17 with special dietary needs and by now will be suffering. I am disabled and housebound and my cats are all I have. Yes I called the Gardaí ( Irish police) but no reply until I made a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman and Garda will come out this week. His email header referred to " Activities " on the island so I know what will be said. I NEED to know the exact law prefe rably criminal law not civil law. Falling apart here and more ill. Only just found out where they are. Cannot cope. can barely type
I'm sorry for your situation!
Is there any particular reason why this nasty man is stealing your cats? What is he going to do with them?
I don't think I can help you, because every country has different lawas and ways to enforce them.
There's another user from Ireland here, T Tworagdolls , maybe they can help you since they might know things better.
Hang in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cannot cope. This man hates me as I am a Christian and he fell out with his uncle who was a church leader here way before my time.Bitter angry old man Yes irrational I have ignored his verbal and other attacks on me over the years but this attack on my cats has destroyed me. National holiday here and no help/support anywhere. Just too much and I am ill anyways. My beloved cats suffering to get at me. Destroys me

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot cope. This man hates me as I am a Christian and he fell out with his uncle who was a church leader here way before my time.Bitter angry old man Yes irrational I have ignored his verbal and other attacks on me over the years but this attack on my cats has destroyed me. National holiday here and no help/support anywhere. Just too much and I am ill anyways. My beloved cats suffering to get at me. Destroys me
Where do you think he has taken your cats to?
Do you think he harmed them? Do you think he's a really evil person?
A few months back there was another user of the forum who was really into cat rescue and things like that, she lives in Ireland, and as far as I had understood she was on a small island off southwest Cork, but I believe she cancelled her username here.
Isn't there an ISPCA contact (if you live in the Republic) or an RSPCA contact (if you live in the North) in your area? Any other rescue group you can call to have a support?
I am so sorry, believe me :frown:

I've been visiting Ireland every year for the last 25 years for my holiday, and I witnessed the poor conditions of so many stray and feral cats in your country. It was so painful to me...

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where do you think he has taken your cats to?
Do you think he harmed them? Do you think he's a really evil person?
A few months back there was another user of the forum who was really into cat rescue and things like that, she lives in Ireland, and as far as I had understood she was on a small island off southwest Cork, but I believe she cancelled her username here.
Isn't there an ISPCA contact (if you live in the Republic) or an RSPCA contact (if you live in the North) in your area? Any other rescue group you can call to have a support?
I am so sorry, believe me :frown:

I've been visiting Ireland every year for the last 25 years for my holiday, and I witnessed the poor conditions of so many stray and feral cats in your country. It was so painful to me...

Thanks and I agree so much with your last words. I am not Irish. I came here over 20 years ago having been breeding Siamese, and changed direction because of that. I once drove into a farmyard and there were at least 20 cats sitting atop a wall .There are groups doing excellent TNR work. But so much needed/
The oldest cat he took was one of my first rescues. An amazing cat. 17 years of sheer love. OH HOW COULD HE! Did he really think I would let this pass? Yep he did.
My cats will be in his house and the folk here are all so scared of him no one will intervene. I did try and he knows that and hates me for it. His cat died recently so he decided to take mine. Simple as that. takes the breath away
We have a friend in Dublin who drove over in a big camper van last week and found the man and my cats.Until then I had no idea. There are plans afoot. But no idea when and scared every hour now. Small islands with literally small inbred ageing populations. And anything for a quiet life. I HATE BULLIES. But I am nearly 80 and have major health issues. Tomorrow I will seek legal advice and see about taking out a Protection Order against him but getting my cats free comes first. Cannot express what this is doing to me. Thank you for being there

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During my holidays in Ireland, I often came across some poor hungry and neglected feral or stray cats. I would always have some cat food with me, even if I was on holiday, and I would give these poor souls this food.
The people that would see me, would look at me as I was coming from Mars, someone would have a reproaching look at me, as if I was doing something terrible and inappropriate. But I didn't care.
What I know is that in Ireland, cats are often seen as vermin rather than pets.

Here is a photo I took in June 2015, on Lough Gur, co. Limerick, where outside an old house there were about fifteen cats in derelict conditions. They were thin, sick, a few of them were very young kittens with sore and sick eyes, likely sentenced to death.

Lough Gur.jpg

I stopped, tried to help them, a lady came out that old door and shooed me away on a very rude manner and said that her cats were very well looked after, and I had to mind my own business.
All those bowls were empty and dirty...

I hope you can get some help soon. Please let us know how things are going and if you can have your cats back.
Could you have a catio built in your property to keep all your kitties safe?

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rent so no catio and I would not confine these cats. Been here six years and no issues so it is the loss of his old cat that sparked this and I actually sympathised and KNEW he had taken mine and said I would gladly find him a cat BUT NOT MINE. Interesting though as a year ago a new cat arrived here as in ! this is yours! I think left when an old lady died. Interesting that clearly she had said give it to her NOT him. No this time I take steps as else no peace here. The Dear Lord alone knows what muck he is feeding them. The second one is a lovely wee girl cat who loves to run in the wild land here. Poor wee lass. I have emailed the Garda that this time I will prefer charges as this HAS to stop . I have held off the other times,

That photo tears the heart. I once got vouchers for six cats a lady I knew was feediing to be fixed, arranged carriers - but she could not be bothered

Your photo is..... I am feeding every cat here now and happy to do it. One neglectful owner said he did not have time to feed a cat...

It isn't just Ireland. It was the same up in Orkney. Goes back to the days when people were very poor and could not afford to feed cats. Dogs earned their keep on farms..Cats were akin to vermin and as you see in rural areas. .. When I came here the place had been empty years and there was a rat run along the side.. My cats had a wonderful time, and Boycat was the best . One of the rats was cat- sized. Beautiful critters. The cat whose owner did not have tie, to feed him? We were chatting at my gate when cat strolled up and a DOUBLE TAKE... "Look at his hair!" lol
I just have this week to get through. Gardaí always try to dissuade from prosecuting but I will be firm this time. That will stop it once for all. Imagine the mentality? Cat dies... Now who around here has cats? Ah yes... GRAB!
And thanks

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were the cats taken directly from your property? Not sure how it works in Ireland but could you get him for trespassing if they were? Since they aren't legally your cats, that is probably all you can do other than the Protective Order. He will have to stay off your property but if the cats don't stay on your property, they are fair game.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are legally my cats actually. The two he took were both from established rescues so contracted to me. And I can extend the Order to cover everything I own and wherever they or I am. . Not that the rural Gardaí would know. Making a fuss over this will protect. This is not the first such encounter with these guys. My mistake was not prosecuting the first time when the Garda then suggested it. Everything is closed here today but I will call legal agencies tomorrow. He can attack me but taking my cats is a NONONO as he will find out soon. Our paths never cross now as we are well spaced... But I had not realised until this that all the islanders are scared of him. Men who are worth far far more. Just want my cats back safe. will have to bathe them...

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are legally my cats actually. The two he took were both from established rescues so contracted to me. And I can extend the Order to cover everything I own and wherever they or I am. . Not that the rural Gardaí would know. Making a fuss over this will protect. This is not the first such encounter with these guys. My mistake was not prosecuting the first time when the Garda then suggested it. Everything is closed here today but I will call legal agencies tomorrow. He can attack me but taking my cats is a NONONO as he will find out soon. Our paths never cross now as we are well spaced... But I had not realised until this that all the islanders are scared of him. Men who are worth far far more. Just want my cats back safe. will have to bathe them...
Ok, I must have missed the part where they came from a rescue. And yes, I know how Protective Orders work. Been with a Police Department over 25 years. ;)

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah I see! I had heard of some Barring Orders but only read up on Protection Orders last night. Sad that we need them. But a case now of thus far and no further. My 17 year old cat snatched? GGGGGGRRRRRR : Sometimes we get what we deserve for being too.... lenient.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah I see! I had heard of some Barring Orders but only read up on Protection Orders last night. Sad that we need them. But a case now of thus far and no further. My 17 year old cat snatched? GGGGGGRRRRRR : Sometimes we get what we deserve for being too.... lenient.
Barring Orders typically are for businesses, not private residences. Hopefully he is taking care of the cats until you can get them back.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Barring Orders typically are for businesses, not private residences. Hopefully he is taking care of the cats until you can get them back.
Maybe different in Ireland? They were all I had heard of before I started sleuthing this time. And HIS idea of taking care of cats is NOT mine.... The Garda will be here sometime this week. Sits up straight and adopts her Stern Teacher glare! My real hope is the guy with the campervan.... This creep thinks I am alone and defenceless.. I hate bullies. And sneak thieves.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully ths nasty man won't take any revenge on you after the Gardaí have told him off and you can have your cats back.
It sounds like this is the kind of men that sneak in your property and make damages out of revenge.
You should make sure the Gardaí and him have a good talk about what's yours and what's his. I would have your cat microchipped (if they aren't yet), so that if he grabs another cat of yours it will be theft.

Just out of curiosity (because I love Ireland), what part of Ireland are you based? Of course, feel free to ignore my question if this makes you uncomfortable.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He would not do anything quite so blatantly illegal. I hope. I gather the man with the van intends to be.. quite firm.... with him and I don't think the Gardaí will tell him off either. Small coastal and island communities are clannish. So no use my letting them see I am upset as that would please them. Hit them with legalities and hide the tears. And he already knows I will stand up to bullies as I had to six years ago. I do have some clout here in other ways. But the nights are long and hard just now. Boycat is such a devoted cat. He will sit on me when I am abed as close as he can n get and just gaze into my eyes. I feel like...…

Cannot endure this evil. That anyone can do this and that the Gardaí can just stand by and let it happen? It is just all too much and I am too old and ill. What are they all thinking of? Long dark hpurs now and no help ad np hope as clearly?Not sure what this is all about any moe/ That it is OK to steal? On;y acat after all.. Just all too ,uch

Not giving my location but the Gardaí coverage for here as for several areas etc along the West Coast is Achill Sound linked to Westport. Co Mayo. all apparently as bad as each other.

So sorry to cave in! Had a long talk with extended family in Canada which has helped. And getting the promise of a Garda visit... Everyone will see that , including the man. Jacob cat is snoring under my knees and everyone else is asleep. I miss Boycat so much though..

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, taking advantage of the Gardai attention I have emailed the various depts. AND my TD (MP) with details of the man;s actions and asking support and protection.
And proving that I own my cats as the refuges are still open,
There is objective proof of all I wrote. This needs sorting once for all. This is MY HOME and perfect in all the ways that count.
Up to them now. It actually made disturbing reading. And that Boycat and Bella are suffering.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, taking advantage of the Gardai attention I have emailed the various depts. AND my TD (MP) with details of the man;s actions and asking support and protection.
And proving that I own my cats as the refuges are still open,
There is objective proof of all I wrote. This needs sorting once for all. This is MY HOME and perfect in all the ways that count.
Up to them now. It actually made disturbing reading. And that Boycat and Bella are suffering.
Fingers crossed you can receive an answer from your TD and Gardaí, and that Bella and Boycat will be returned to you safe and sound.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blessings and thanks. I have CFS/ME to a serious level and stress is appalling. Had a good chat with family re Plan B. Family are furious and outraged. May be losing power for the day at nine and a rare storm raging. Just was out at the back ocean edge to get a sack of turf and it is WILD... Always. "Time and the hour run through the roughest day" Knitting helps!
And THANK YOU. I came here needing support from cat folk and found it. Full of foreboding just now Knit; cuddle cats. youtube...We can cope.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know your part of Ireland, beautiful and wild, breathtaking and stormy, at the same time.
Stay safe during this lashing weather, hopefully your cats have a safe shelter too. Waiting for Gardaí to call back and give out a solution to this problem.

Nice blog you have! Very peaceful, really... monastic ;)

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quelle jour...Power just back on thankfully and more waffle from the Gardaí. Apparently the storm prevented them coming over today. But as I replied they can tell the man to return the cats by phone. ….All four who are safe are in safe and so I can insert earplugs.. Yes breathtaking place to live. Idyllic if you are a wilderness creature. The drive along the Mayo coast from Mulranny to Belmullet and then across the top to Killala has no equal in Ireland .The last time I saw Bella cat before she was taken she was racing across a wild field at a tremendous rate. Tomorrow I start looking for a good lawyer. Another all day power out next week, preparing for winter. The next days will be bad they say but all hunkered down here.