Two mama raising litters

Honestsweets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First let me apologize for now getting them fixed sooner, i own 3 adult (one male, two female all from the same mother but different litters the boy being younger) cats that i rescued from my Mother in laws garage, but money is tight and covid hasnt helped so sadly they havent been fixed. P#optart (mama 1) had her litter of 3, around 6 weeks ago. She was doing fine nursing them and raising them, her sister snow also got pregnant and gave birth a week ago. And now that the newborns are here poptart gets in their bed and feeds them, takes them from their bed and just tried removing one from the room entirely. Now we live in a two bedroom trailer and the little ones are all in a bedroom with everything they need, both mamas were doing good after the newborns came, but then poptart starting meowing alot and she stopped nursing her own kittens mind you this is week 6 now for them, but is it normal for her to feed and remove a kitten from their nest if the mama isnt? Snow will help with the bigger kittenz feeding her 3 and letting the bigger 3 feed when her own are done, but otherwise she doesnt seem bothered like poptart.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi H Honestsweets

It's normal for mother cats who get on well together to share the job of raising a litter. You just need to make sure that all of the kittens are getting enough to eat and that the mothers have proper nutrition.

Weigh the kittens every day at the same time and make sure they are gaining weight. If not you may have to supplement feed them. Can you get some KMR? Letting the mother cats drink some of this will help them stay healthy as they nurse too.

Some articles for you.

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) – TheCatSite Articles

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honestsweets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, but i guess a better question to ask would be, is it normal for mama 1(normally quiet poptart) to start walking around meowing in the room or for her to remove one of mama 2s newborn kittens? (Mama 2, snow is the less dominant of the 3 adult cats.) The meowing real loud started when she would stand near the baby gate in the door as though she was trying to teach her kittens (the older kittens) how to leave the room, and then we started finding the newborns with her instead of their nest, where their mom, mama 2 keeps them. We didnt think to much of it since as you said they will share duties, but it was strange to see her remove a newborn today, especially since mama 2 started meowing in distress when she realized.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello there! Norachan Norachan has given you some great advice. Mothers will often switch off when raising a litter, and they have been known to completely take litters under their wings when an other mother can’t take care of her litter.
I completely understand your financial situation. If you’re not aware, shelters and clinics can offer financial assistance to help get your cats fixed. Until then, is there any possibility that you can keep the male separated from your females?
Wishing you all the best, and please share pictures of the kittens :redheartpump:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not very experienced when it comes to kitten care, so I’ll let someone else who can give much better advice than myself answer that. :)

Honestsweets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! Norachan Norachan has given you some great advice. Mothers will often switch off when raising a litter, and they have been known to completely take litters under their wings when an other mother can’t take care of her litter.
I completely understand your financial situation. If you’re not aware, shelters and clinics can offer financial assistance to help get your cats fixed. Until then, is there any possibility that you can keep the male separated from your females?
Wishing you all the best, and please share pictures of the kittens :redheartpump:
Oh my boy has actually been a helpful little dude, i was surprised myself cause i kept him seperated until he started whining so i started letting him visit and he plays with them gently, bathes them and cuddles with them. But thank you for the advice.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my boy has actually been a helpful little dude, i was surprised myself cause i kept him seperated until he started whining so i started letting him visit and he plays with them gently, bathes them and cuddles with them. But thank you for the advice.
That’s amazing! Males can help with kittens, but they don’t always.
Sorry, I should have specified a bit more.
Usually around the time kittens are weaned (which I believe is about 8 weeks, but you may want to double check that because I’m not positive), females can go into heat again and get pregnant. 😉

Honestsweets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: tried to let mama 1 be in the room with kittens and mama 2, she hid under the bed then kept trying to sneak to the kittens (she was watching me, peeking from under the bed to see if i was watching) after sneaking in while i wasnt looking she layed on them, the babies started screaming at her and instead of moving she stayed on them causing the one crying out to get louder. Mama 2 was outside the nest looking at her and me frantically, with her being more timid and this being her first litter im not sure if she knew what to do in the moment.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Usually around the time kittens are weaned (which I believe is about 8 weeks, but you may want to double check that because I’m not positive), females can go into heat again and get pregnant
That's true, cats go into heat soon after giving birth, sometimes while still nursing their kittens.

H Honestsweets as the first mother gave birth 6 weeks ago there is a chance that she is in heat again now. That would explain her strange behaviour and loud meowing. It would be a good idea to get her spayed now (She can still nurse her kittens after surgery) and make an appointment to have the second mother spayed in about a month.

Do you have a large dog crate you could keep the new mother and the youngest kittens in for a while? Just so the kittens have chance to bond with their mother, without the other cat taking possession of them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s amazing! Males can help with kittens, but they don’t always.
Sorry, I should have specified a bit more.
Usually around the time kittens are weaned (which I believe is about 8 weeks, but you may want to double check that because I’m not positive), females can go into heat again and get pregnant. 😉
You are on the right track, but its even worse. Females can go into new heat just a few days after delivery... Human women are somewhat protected by nursing, but not cats.

So this is the dilemma with friendly toms whom helps out with kitten care. Its very nice and sweet, but if they are intact toms, there IS some danger of a new pregnancy...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, keep them separated. The new mom needs to be undisturbed with her newborns, even if the other mom cat cries about it. She and your male need a spay and neuter. Give us your city and state and we’ll look for a low cost clinic for you.

Honestsweets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, keep them separated. The new mom needs to be undisturbed with her newborns, even if the other mom cat cries about it. She and your male need a spay and neuter. Give us your city and state and we’ll look for a low cost clinic for you.
I live in bloomington indiana

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise