Two kittens using one of my litterboxes as a bed - how to correct?

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Cat Genie litterbox that two of my kittens refuse to use as anything other than a bed.. they are not pottying there either ..is there any way I can train them to do their business there and not sleep in it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If that is not working, just try a 'good old fashioned' litter box and see what happens. Maybe you can train them later, after they routinely use a 'regular' litter box. Maybe it has something to do with the warm air drying of the bowl and granules??

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the kittens?

& my mom has an automatic litter box with crystal litter that the cats hate! They will sometimes use it if the other box needs to be scooped but they are just as likely to pee on a pee pad. So if it doesn’t use small granular litter that looks/feels like sand, my advice is to just give up. Give them another litter box or two that they will actually use (why my mom insists that pee pads are better than scooping is beyond me!)

I use tidy cats light weight because the other litter is to heavy for me to carry around. If you are normal physically than the lower dust but heavier arm & hammer clumping litter works great! I gave my cat a large tub to give him a large litter box. So you can always do that provided your kittens are big enough to get in there (5 months and up) & old enough to know not to eat the litter (usually by 3-4 months...... until then only use clay non clumping litter.)

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try just adding a normal scooping litter box next to the unliked box in hope that they will one day warm up to it like FeebtsOwner said. You can even try putting some used litter or scooped poop into the unliked litter to see if that will encourage them to use the box. 🤷🏻‍♀️