Two kitten introductions?

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I know intros are discussed endlessley. . .and I've read books and watched Jackson Galaxy videos, so I know the idea of it. But in practice it's a bit harder!

So we have our first kitten, a shelter cat who we've had for two months she's almost 5 months old now. She's very high energy, is very bonded to me. We wanted to get her a friend and do it before she was 6 months old to make the transition easier. So, we have a new little guy. . .he's been in foster care with a mom and a bunch of siblings, he's very sweet and is 9 weeks old. He's been in a spare room for three days now, but he's definitely lonely and wanting more (we go in there and play with him as much as possible). Original kitten seems a bit out of sorts, but nothing major. We did site swapping yesterday and will again today, they have been sniffing each other under the door.

I guess it's all going fine, but I'm feeling really frazzled about giving them both enough attention and keeping them apart. My question then: how does one know when it's ok to finally introduce??? I don't want to rush it, but my life will be simpler when they can both just be in the whole house! Thanks for reading all this!

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would keep them separated for at least a week just to make sure the little one doesn’t show any URI symptoms. Usually with kittens you can move more quickly after being sure everyone is healthy and up to date on vaccines. The five month old is quite a bit bigger than the little one, however, so I suggest you spend time playing with the bigger one to drain some energy before you put them together. When both are kittens I make sure their nails are clipped, no one is hungry, and paths to the litter boxes are unblocked. Keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would keep them separated for at least a week just to make sure the little one doesn’t show any URI symptoms. Usually with kittens you can move more quickly after being sure everyone is healthy and up to date on vaccines. The five month old is quite a bit bigger than the little one, however, so I suggest you spend time playing with the bigger one to drain some energy before you put them together. When both are kittens I make sure their nails are clipped, no one is hungry, and paths to the litter boxes are unblocked. Keep us updated!
THanks, yeah, the little one is very healthy. Has just had his neuter surgery a few days ago and his second round of vaccinations. But I suppose there is always the possibility of sickness. He's just 2.3 pounds while my 5 mo is 6.3 pounds! Quite a size difference!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has just had his neuter surgery a few days ago
That is what you are waiting on then. Healing. If they end up playing roughly, he could reopen. ASPCA says 14 days. You can probably get away with less, but certainly should wait a bit.

And yes, the size issue could also be a problem. Some 5 month olds are clueless and will really fling a tiny kitten around. It always looks a bit scary, and maybe it actually is risk until the kitten gets some more size (say 12 weeks?). You'll have to see how it goes, when you do let them be.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is what you are waiting on then. Healing. If they end up playing roughly, he could reopen. ASPCA says 14 days. You can probably get away with less, but certainly should wait a bit.

And yes, the size issue could also be a problem. Some 5 month olds are clueless and will really fling a tiny kitten around. It always looks a bit scary, and maybe it actually is risk until the kitten gets some more size (say 12 weeks?). You'll have to see how it goes, when you do let them be.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I just need to hang in there. I'm honestly just feeling really frazzled by constantly feeling like I'm neglecting one or the other! It will be so much simpler when we can all be the same rooms! ahhhhh. But this is a long range vision here, gotta keep that in mind.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We’re still just site swapping. Although they both meow at the closed door between them a lot now!

Five month old kitten just peed in new kittens litter box while site swapping. Is this a positive thing?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We’re still just site swapping. Although they both meow at the closed door between them a lot now!

Five month old kitten just peed in new kittens litter box while site swapping. Is this a positive thing?
Its probably mostly irrelevant or just part of the general scent swap. As far as I've seen, most cats treat a litter box as a litter box, regardless of who else has used it. As long as its reasonably clean. I hear some multi-cat households seem to develop assigned litterboxes, but its never mattered in our house.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
okay. . .I did the cracked door thing so they could have a bit of eye contact for the first time. (we've been scent/site swapping for days now). And our 5 mo kitty who is super fiesty and confident was really chill. . .but the 10wk old new guy (who is super chill with us) got poofed and hissed. Hmmmm. Not what I expected at all. Was that a sign of fear from him?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay. . .I did the cracked door thing so they could have a bit of eye contact for the first time. (we've been scent/site swapping for days now). And our 5 mo kitty who is super fiesty and confident was really chill. . .but the 10wk old new guy (who is super chill with us) got poofed and hissed. Hmmmm. Not what I expected at all. Was that a sign of fear from him?
Kittens are *always* fine with another cat within days to about a week max, but a little hissing at first is not uncommon. Fear is a strong word, but yes, somewhere between uncomfortable and a bit afraid. With the 5 month old being chill, shouldn't be too long.

The flip side of some older cats playing too rough with a much smaller kitten is that some show restraint and play nicely. My three year old is very careful and has not once made my 12 week old kitten squeal even though they have progressed to full out wrestling. Its very funny and cute to watch. With your 5 month old waiting on the kitten, maybe that is what you'll get! Its not a big deal if things are a bit rougher than the little one prefers and they squeal now and then . . . but there is no denying its super nice when the big one is considerate.

Last edited:

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I literally just did this on October 10th. Same ages and sexes as yours. Female kitten, Jemima was so intirigued , I only kept them apart 24 hours. She was also chill. And the baby, Lucca was also eager to explore and only hissed a few times. I separated them if play got too rough for the baby. He came from a shelter and was fostered with 4 siblings and other cats so he was probably used to “playing” with older kittens etc. all that to say; everything went very well! I still occasionally separate them for a “time out” if one or the other is too rough. And yes, the baby gets that way too because Jemima is a little more “mature” and needs a break now and again. Here’s a couple of pics...
BD2630E6-DBA2-419B-B605-573F3EA68A77.jpeg
81C3E5C5-58DB-4046-AE97-2E3A362DC5D8.jpeg
D11B7CA2-8763-465A-97AB-CB69AB42F413.jpeg
895586C6-7EE3-47C7-A5AF-338E2A8A6B0E.jpeg

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kittens are *always* fine with another cat within days to about a week max, but a little hissing at first is not uncommon. Fear is a strong word, but yes, somewhere between uncomfortable and a bit afraid. With the 5 month old being chill, shouldn't be too long.

The flip side of some older cats playing too rough with a much smaller kitten is that some show restraint and play nicely. My three year old is very careful and has not once made my 12 week old kitten squeal even though they have progressed to full out wrestling. Its very funny and cute to watch. With your 5 month old waiting on the kitten, maybe that is what you'll get! Its not a big deal if things are a bit rougher than the little one prefers and they squeal now and then . . . but there is no denying its super nice when the big one is considerate.
Thank you for the reassurance! I wish I had just adopted litter mates, this is proving to be more stressful than I had expected. Mostly just bc I"m so afraid of getting it wrong!

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I literally just did this on October 10th. Same ages and sexes as yours. Female kitten, Jemima was so intirigued , I only kept them apart 24 hours. She was also chill. And the baby, Lucca was also eager to explore and only hissed a few times. I separated them if play got too rough for the baby. He came from a shelter and was fostered with 4 siblings and other cats so he was probably used to “playing” with older kittens etc. all that to say; everything went very well! I still occasionally separate them for a “time out” if one or the other is too rough. And yes, the baby gets that way too because Jemima is a little more “mature” and needs a break now and again. Here’s a couple of pics...View attachment 306404View attachment 306405View attachment 306406View attachment 306407

Oh thank you for sharing!!!! They are both beautiful! I'm so glad to hear your story. . .I have a lot of anxiety about getting this right and even though I've read all the cat books, it's so stressful when it's just me and them and I don't know exactly how to interpret their language! Newer baby has been here almost a week now and they've been apart. . .mostly to let his surgery heal and let him adjust, but I'm starting to feel guilty for leaving him in one room so long (he does come out to play in the house a bit each day with big sister locked in her safe room). My husband thinks it's time. . .the woman who fostered this bunch (he's one of 9 siblings and was with his mam till 8 weeks, so he should be used to other cats!) suggested I put one of them in a carrier and let the other come and sniff and meet that way. . .so keep them safe at first. So I will try that today.