Two days of pooping on the floor, then stopped

Pogica Dallyca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my Pony Girl, about 4 years old (spayed), decided to poop on hardwood floor in our computer room last week. The next day, I caught her in the act when she pooped on the carpeting in the hall way. The poop was soft, it left stain mark on the hardwood floor. I think it was sitting there for an hour before I found it. I cleaned both areas with Natures Miracle spray to block the odor. After that, we put an extra litterbox in our small bathroom and she's been using that ever since.
She has never done this before. I keep wondering if it was more like health issue (upset stomach) or she was trying to tell us something (angry?) She seems healthy otherwise, eating and playing as usual. For a back story: We've had Pony since February last year. A year later we got Dally, an 8 month old, neutered male kitten. Introduction went okay, within few days, I could put them together in the same room with some hissing and growling from Pony. Dally being a super active kitten, grew up with many siblings, wants to play with Pony most of the time. Pony was a stray, she's playful on her own, but she's still having a hard time playing another cat. So every single time Dally gets too close, she would hunch with flat ears, go on defense mode. Sometimes it turned to swatting with little furs flying when Pony is cornered. Nobody got hurt so far. Dally started to do much better. He listens when I tell her to back off from Pony. Pony doesn't seem to be traumatized. She did stop eating for a couple days, then she got her appetite back. She figured out a way to avoid Dally getting too close by outrun him and jump to higher surface. So it seems like she's not under much stress. Hissing and growling is still going on but I think it's her way of telling Dally to stay away.
We do have two litterboxes in the basement, they've been using them with no problem. I know ideally we need another one in the upper level, but I'd rather having them all in the basement. That's why I want to, either remove the extra box in the bathroom, or move it to different area in the basement. Do I have to do it gradually? Should I wait longer to move it? Both cats have been using it, but if there's no health issue with Pony, say like she can't hold the poop and has to go right away, then they can use the ones downstairs.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If Pony only had two accidents and has since stopped, it could be from something she ate that upset her digestive tract (hence the loose stool). Cats do not poop (or, pee for that matter) inappropriately out of anger or spite. Those are primarily human emotions. Yes, cats can get angry but they really don't have the capacity to plan out vengeance/retaliation. But, there could be encounters between Pony and Dally that are worse than others which could upset Pony enough to impact her system and possibly lead to litter box accidents. Until such time that things settle down between these two - and, I hope they will with more time passing along with Dally maturing a bit - I would make sure that you keep any eye on Pony to be able to see when she is over her 'tolerance limit' with Dally, and then distract Dally with play. Kickeroo toys are usually a good distraction.

It is recommended that there be at least one litterbox on every level of the house, so please consider keeping one somewhere upstairs. Most people would prefer not to have to run down or up a flight of stairs to get to a bathroom if they don't have to. It is reasonable to think cats probably don't either. This is also an important element when your cats near senior-hood. A long time from now, but still...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pogica Dallyca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, FeebysOwner,
If Pony only had two accidents and has since stopped, it could be from something she ate that upset her digestive tract (hence the loose stool).
Now that I think of it, I did give both cats a little bit of turkey breast meat. Maybe that's Pony's reaction to that. I haven't given them any human food since. I still notice that Pony's poop is till kind of soft, so I will keep the litter box in the bathroom for now. Eventually I will set a space for it on main level.

But, there could be encounters between Pony and Dally that are worse than others which could upset Pony enough to impact her system and possibly lead to litter box accidents. Until such time that things settle down between these two - and, I hope they will with more time passing along with Dally maturing a bit - I would make sure that you keep any eye on Pony to be able to see when she is over her 'tolerance limit' with Dally, and then distract Dally with play. Kickeroo toys are usually a good distraction.
Yes, I was worried about it many times, especially when we have to leave them alone at home. So far, I haven't seen any of them got traumatized. From what I observe, the only negative encounters would be when Dally's trying to play with Pony and come close to her, and she doesn't like it. Thankfully Dally is very easy to distract, he'll chase any toy I throw. Other times, they've been really good at eating side by side or sleeping on the same bed many times. It's like a mystery to me if eventually they will be best friends. It's early to tell, but I can't help wondering...🤔

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since the poop was soft, I'm inclined to think that it was a temporary tummy upset. Keep the upstairs box in place for now, and watch stool consistency. Once it is back to normal, try removing it to the new location. I'd suggest doing this in two or three steps, just to be on the safe side.