Two Cats Suddenly Fighting with a Third Making It Worse

bibliophile7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just want to start by saying that I've read a lot on how to properly introduce cats and am working on that to get the two to stop hissing at each other on sight. I'm posting this because a lot of the things about it don't say anything on what to do with a third cat.

So I have three cats that I've had for 5.5 years and they've gotten along fairly well during that time. The why isn't really important for this but my cats smelled something weird outside and then just started attacking each other to the point one ended up scratched right under the eye despite the fact I clip my cats' claws. One of the cats got over everything really fast and is totally fine being in the room with either of the other two alone. The other two now hiss at each other repeatedly on sight. When they start doing this, the third cat - the one who's chill with everyone 5 minutes after a fight - starts yowling which seems to be the trigger for violence. This is at least what was happening the first 24 hours when I was still hopeful this would be quick to resolve. When they start fighting like this they all three will take turns attacking each other until I physically break it up.

Does anyone know if I should be doing anything different from standard introduction steps because of the third cat? I've been swapping him around to hang out with a different cat in a different room from time to time. He's essentially my stand in since the two cats that are fighting both are in the habit of crying for me if I'm in a room they can't get to (I'm their emotional support human). I can't help but wonder if his presence is making the aggression between the other two worse.

Some additional background: Two I got as kittens within a week of each other and one I got as an adult about two months later. I didn't properly introduce them but it's been 5.5 years of calm so I think it mostly worked out. Everyone is spayed/neutered. The two that are fighting regularly have little dominance spats but that mostly amounts to the oldest one who weighs 8-9 lbs swatting at the one I've had the longest who weighs 14-15 lbs (he isn't overweight - he stands more than a head taller than the other two) and the bigger cat just taking it for a minute before getting up to loom over the oldest until she backs down. Props to her for still having the confidence that she can take him. Dream big. They also regularly sleep together in my lap so they know how to get along, too. Or they did. I apparently have a picture of it on this computer even:

Snapchat-723088982.jpg

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like something suddenly triggered a fear aggression. How do you know that they smelled something weird? Did anything else happen that might have spooked them?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The why is actually pretty important because if the 'why' is still going on it is repeatedly setting off a trigger - at least for one of the cats. How are the current actual fights starting? With the one 'chill' cat that starts howling? It sounds like you are doing the right things in terms of re-introductions, but it just might take longer than you had hoped. How long exactly has this been going on?

What happens if you remove the 'chill' cat to see what the other two will do without his presence? Is that part of your current swap process?

I don't know what introduction process you are using, but maybe check out these TCS articles to see if they have any additional tips/ideas.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You might try this, either with vanilla or raw coconut (which still has fragrance) ;

From valanhb valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

Also, it's possible that calming products and Cat Music might also help.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve introduced a lot of cats over time. You have to keep all three separated, then find the trigger. At the center of all of this is the dominance spats, what’s going on at the litter box, or preferably box’s? Buy an inexpensive ultraviolet flashlight, turn the lights out and look for excessive markings. You probably should get a wellness check on the oldest cat, if she has any pain issues that’s most likely the reason, there really shouldn’t be any spats. It’s really important not to play favorites or project emotions into any of these fights because it’ll make you the fourth member of them!

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't by any chance have cat nip toys laying around? I had a similar experience and my friend asked me that same question and I did in fact have a cat nip pouch on the floor and when I removed it the one that was acting like a psycho went back to his old self but he seemed possessed for a while