Two Cats- Only Use One Litterbox

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I have two of the most perfect kittens alive- they play nice, don't scratch the furniture, me, or each other. They stay off the counters, sleep all night every night, eat all their food, purr if I so much as blink at them, AND tolerate nail trimmings and trips to the vet with minimal fussing. They also gallop around like they're running the Kentucky Derby but somehow they're even polite about that. In fact, it's freaky how well-behaved these boys are.

That being said, they're hellbent on sharing a single litter box. I have two set up in their room- they have a cat room with two cat trees, a pile of toys, two litter boxes, food, and water. I have one litter box against a wall and the second one (slightly smaller) in a corner with the hope they'd each have one. I've tried putting the same litter in both, kitten attract litter in the one they don't use, a mix of litters in both, a mix of litters in the one box they use, etc. They both continuously use the same box. I'd like to get them used to separate litter boxes to avoid future territory disputes while making it more sanitary for me to clean.

Any suggestions to help me convince these otherwise perfect kittens they each have their own bathroom? Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two cats share one litter box. There are no issues at all. Some people have multiple litter boxes but the cats may only use one:rolleyes: Cats are picky and sometimes their preferences are annoying to us. There isn't any way you can teach a cat to use a specific litter box and not another box. Cats are just going to use whatever they prefer. If you try to "train" them to only use a specific box they might get cranky and start peeing on your floors instead.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had two cats before and there was never an issue with them sharing a box. It would actually be easier for you to only clean one box anyway.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats and 3 cat boxes. My big male insists on cramming himself into the small box in the guest box intended for the small female, and in turn she sometimes uses his large box at the entryway. They seem happy with their arrangement, and as long as the cats are hitting a box, I'm happy.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try putting the two litterboxes side by side somewhere. But it should be just as sanitary with one litterbox, just make sure you top up with fresh litter everyday to keep it at least 3 inches deep.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat and tried unsuccessfully for over three years to get her to use two litter boxes. She simply would choose one of two identical boxes and only use that box. I left the one uncleaned for two weeks and she still wouldn’t switch boxes, so I gave up.

But your boys are still young and over time might decide to change their litter box preferences so I would keep putting out the second for at least the next year in the hopes they may start using it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also keep both boxes unless you need the floor space. I read of some cats deciding to only pee in one box and only poop in a second box. Crazy cats. :lol: Your cats are young, so they may change their habits.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried moving one litter box to a different room? My boys pee in one & poop in another,
I thought cats who do that should have side by side litterboxes. They can pee and poop at the same time, just like us.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope more litter boxes = more territory. Plus maybe by putting it in another room to mark your cats might use it? If you have to they can both be in the same room but they tend to like to spread their smell around (by cheek rubbing, litter, or scratching.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried moving one litter box to a different room? My boys pee in one & poop in another,
Ha! My initial thought was to put two boxes in two rooms, but for a number of reasons it's easier to keep the cat paraphernalia consolidated (exceptions given to strategically placed scratching posts and the toys they drag all over the house).

It's a big house, but they only stick around a couple of rooms. I want to keep their boxes in the 'high value' territory- which means either their room or the room where company hangs out.

I like the idea of keeping the second box as an option or moving it next to the first.