Twisted back toe and nail anyone have experience?

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats never get sick 
  an 8 month old small female has been really rough housing lately!

Last night I crated her for 1/2 hour first time ever just to quiet them,  today same just having a blast, just 

let them play then all of a sudden Blood!!!!!! I crated her for a bit just to chill, so I could get all my stuff together to...later I used an ice pack, have 2 e collars, guaze everything to wrap her foot, her back toe nail is turned to the side, she lets me touch look at it, she can walk, eat, it's just twisted nail swollen and it bleeds after a while. Spoke to a clinic earlier at that time thought she had a small cut so it was bleeding, she was fine with me turning the nail and toe back to proper spot.  Now it's been awhile so now when I turn the nail to proper place she's not happy at all. Has anyone else gone through this? 

*it's the toe nail toes are all fine just the nail, from reading if there is injury it's extremely painful but can heal, haven't found anything positive about the nail.....

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
OUCH!   

Pal completely pulled one of the claws on a back paw out once (typical for my cats she did it on New Years Eve evening when everything everywhere is shut down in the UK). Being Pal she was running away from my vacuum cleaner...  and left one of her claws in the carpet at the doorway where she had to turn sharply to get out of the room.   Luckily I had an elderly vet who worked whenever he got a call and he saw her straight away, cleaned her toe up, bandaged and taped up the foot to keep the wound clean and to stop her chewing at it, and that was her.   I think it was possibly easier to deal with and less painful after the initial injury that the nail part of the claw came off completely as the movement of the remaining claw would probably be very nasty - if it feels like a broken nail which I imagine it does.

If the toe looks uninjured other than the nail/claw being pulled or broken off then it sounds like your female should be OK as long as her wound is kept clean to avoid infection, and the claw still attached doesn't cause her problems.   I'd probably call my vet clinic and describe how she is with having the claw moved in to place and ask if it would be better to clip it away - possibly seeing the vet to do that as might be very painful for her?

Pal's claw grew back fine with time but she was always very wary and sensitive when I clipped that particular toe claw. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She's a beauty Kool cat,

after negotiating awhile last night  I was permitted to Chop most of the bad nail OFF! 

Thank YOU  MServant  As you mentioned unless it's infected sometimes can be managed OK.  Being twisted was amazed at how brave she was. It's cleaned up nicely, she's fine wants to motor, keeping her isolated, uses all fours to rip cone collar off...healthy scab no infection claw is turned ever so slightly, find out tomorrow what I can and can't do.  Searched on TCS found a photo of cat with no nail just the little bump what you described Pal went through very Painful!  honestly never expected anything like this from indoor kitties Ever!  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh the poor babe.   Kool must trust you totally letting you touch her sore paw and cut the claw away as it must have hurt her a lot. Not having that loose claw catching on everything and moving all the time must be a big relief for her though.   I can just imagine her tearing away at any colar put on....   I have thankfully never had to put one on any of my cats, but wonder whether Pal might have preferred a colar to having her paw strapped up:  it was funny to watch but sad at the same time because every time she caught a glimps of her white, bandaged paw she would shoot up in the air thinking she was being attacked by an alien of something.  She obviously found the bandage very distressing and was a whole lot happier when it was removed.   Important not to let the wound get opened up or dirty though.   

Lots of vibes for Kool that her paw heals and without any ongoing pain.  

I had all carpets lifted and floorboards sanded not long after Pal caught her paw in the carpet.   It is amazing how cats manage to injure  them self in the most unsuspecting ways.  
    Even a fully padded home probably wouldn't keep them safe, they have to get in to everything.  

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Pal sounds  hiliarious!  
  lots of character.  Thank you!  Nail was completely removed following day then cleared up!  Walked totally normal right after injury that was a good sign. But it takes a while for the nail to grow back, if I bandage will need to change daily or every 2nd day or is that necessary?...A cone is truly a struggle to keep on her :eek:/   How many times did you actually redo Pal's bandage? 

Kool is a fine nick name for her, she's actually Monarch 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you.  Pal was quite a kitty in her youth and was so bouncy and active she ended up really arthritic by the time she reached double figures.  Sadly she was very nervous until after she turned 18 and didn't have her litter sister showing her who was boss any more and didn't come out much when other people were around, so I was about the only person who saw her true cat-character shine.

With the taped up paw, it was the vet who taped it up straight after he cleaned her wound.  He taped it very firmly so she couldn't bite and pull the bandaging off even though it wasn't stuck to her fur - the tape did need to be cut off carefully with scissors as it was almost like a plaster of Paris cast.   It stayed on few quite a few days if I remember correctly, but if you were doing something your self with gauze I suspect you would have to keep doing it every  time Kool (Monarch) pulled it off.   At least it keeps the paw wound clean for things like using litter which collars don't.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very special Kitties  
  Lovely, Pal got to be spoiled. 

Clinic/s basically said as long as there is no infection she should be OK.  Not minimizing a claw tear injury at all. Have birds needed to bandage in the past. Clinic wants to push for an ultra$can (or $ound) if I take her in. There is no broken bones (I'm sure she would let me know) but incase of fractures they will not just bandage her up. Toes are fine she's back to her normal crazy self.  Just healing where claw was, didn't have a clue how long recovery would be...it's allot of work replacing bandages every couple of days
 sounds like it should be a fast heal as you mentioned if everything goes smooth.  Take her in if  I need to.  

Lots of good advice and the
 they work!  TY

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Scan?  Eek!   I'm relieved and happy to say I have always had low key vets who put my cats through a minimum of tests.  Both to avoid stress and unnecessary sedation for the cats and avoid strain on my purse.  

Ha ha, yes, Pal was well spoiled, just as she should have been, and so is Mouse.  
    I'm sure Monarch is too.

If Kool is running about and putting weight on her paw at least things are looking good just now - if anything was broken or she had infection there she would doubtless be avoiding putting weight on her paw.  Fingers crossed this is correct and that her claw slowly grows back in just like Pal's did.   It did take quite a long time and remained sensitive like I said earlier.   Hugs from me to Kool Monarch.

Last edited: