Twin Rabbits

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The buns had their annual vet appointment. All went well except, they are chunky (Gladys is 2.6kg and Frodo is 3kg). Not chunky they must go on a diet but chunky be mindful of treats. Since they don't get a whole lot of treats (and treats are things like dried dandelion roots and freeze dried bell peppers) and they are already on a hay heavy diet the only thing I could think of was checking their pellet intake. Turns out I was feeding them 3oz instead if 2oz of pellets because I assumed the cup I use to portion their food was 4oz but it was 6oz. So their food is getting a new storage with exact measuring cup to ensure proper amount. Which may seem a little excessive but I've been meaning to get an airtight storage container for their pellets after a mouse stole some of their dried goods about a month ago. I already switched all their treats and sprinkles into air tight to prevent.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are they still kept separate, during the re-introduction, or are they together now?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are still separate.

We've tried a few times but they are both very strong personalities. At this point, I'm going to need to try inside which would be a few days of them inside the house and I just haven't done it yet. Just time restraints really, right now I am working 12 hours days just to keep up with work. I am a little concerned about putting them together just on the food aspect. Frodo is food and no pets and Gladys is pets over food (most of the time). I'm worried Frodo will eat all the food and Gladys will be left with none TBH.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's fascinating seeing the different personalities between the 2 bunnies, which I wouldn't have even considered. I'm glad they have you as their mom, as other bunny parents might not be as concerned with keeping them happy and healthy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The twins each got a Christmas sleigh and treats. Technically, the sleigh is willow so it is a treat too.

Frodo was a gentleman. Carefully taking bites out of the sleigh contents.

Screenshot_20221223-164924_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221223-164858_Photos.jpg

Gladys was Gladys. She demanded pats first and glared at me when I stopped petting.

20221223_151431.jpg

The immediately flipped over her sleigh before realizing it had treats. She was still mad at me for stopping the petting so she took a treat and showed me her butt while she ate it.

20221223_151448.jpg
20221223_151508.jpg
20221223_151644.jpg

She was still kinda mad when she came back for another treat.
20221223_151746.jpg

Within an hour she had thrown the sleigh down the step to get it out of her way. Destructive child. Her food dish recently was replaced because she threw the old one down the steps so many times it broke. She also really doesn't like her cardboard tree house (in photo backgrounds) and tips it over daily.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
…do they eat the pine cones too??
Sort of, they are more a chew toy then actual food. Ingesting some won't hurt the buns, but they are unlikely to purposefully eat them. They will chew on them and toss them around some. They just need to be sanitized (light boil and over baked to dry) first to reduce risk of mites. This batch is from the rabbit rescue who does the sanitizing for me.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello! Every weekend we hit the farmers market for veggies for both the buns and humans. I'd say about 75% of this is the bunnies and will last them until next weekend. I usually spend about $25-30 for the buns and about $15-30 on humans all variable based on current market prices. This weekend by pound items were about $5 per pound while the bunch items were either $2 or $3 each (2 for $5 on those). There is a definite difference in flavor and longevity of the farmers market vs grocery store.

IMG_20230218_095106.jpg

Here are some random photos from the past few months.

20230203_120829.jpg
20230128_090907.jpg
20230113_205207.jpg
20230128_090537.jpg
20230113_204820.jpg
20230113_205952.jpg
20230203_121246.jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you think that they’ve permanently lost their bond?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Melting with cuteness. Who knew buns like snuggling, just like cats? That’s a good food haul: as a vegetarian, I’m jealous.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you think that they’ve permanently lost their bond?
Maybe? Rabbits memory is different then ours. They have very limited memory in general, they won't remember most things after 5 or 10 minutes. But their long term memory is actually pretty good when it comes to pattern and association. They recognize and remember things that make them happy, things that make them scared and things that carry strong emotional or experience value in a general sense. They also recognize the patterns that lead to good or bad things. Like Frodo knows when someone says "Frodo" and approachs he will get food and Gladys knows the box opening means treats. Their shared upbringing and time together when young should give them a shared memory of sorts. The question would be if they both have a positive shared memory. If so, they can pretty easily rebuild a bond but if not they will endlessly fight each other because they associate the other with bad.

We think they are both strong personalities in opposite ways. The times we've tried to put them back together they end up tornadoing which means they both want dominance and aren't giving into the other. It makes it hard. We also are worried because Frodo likes to eat all his food at once and Gladys likes to portion her food out for the day. They are also on different pellets right now because Frodo refuses to eat the one Gladys likes (I'll get them back to a mutual food once the current bags are done). So there is a worry that they would fight over food.

But we aren't settled on them staying apart. The biggest issue right now is honestly time to properly bond them. We can't risk a bad bonding experience and the tornadoing is already iffy for their chances. I've tried reaching out to the rabbit group for bonding boarding but since they have outdoor exposure they aren't eligible. So for now, it's on hold until we can figure out a time that I can take a week off work to work with them on bonding.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Melting with cuteness. Who knew buns like snuggling, just like cats? That’s a good food haul: as a vegetarian, I’m jealous.
Most of it is from a single farm. I swear, their carrots are absolutely the best ever and they have spoiled any other carrots for me. I know my Mom ays their jicama was life changing. For the carrots and celery, the buns get the top and we get the bottoms.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodos desire for treats is unparalleled.

20230311_101445.jpg

20230311_101418.jpg

I was taking photos as I fed him some strawberry leafs. We have a few plants right now so I was giving him one or two off each plant. I apparently wasn't moving fast enough. Granted, I did slow down on the last one just to take some quick photos.

20230311_101429.jpg
20230311_101502.jpg