Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really should have seen this coming....

20220106_165900.jpg

20220106_170939.jpg

20220106_171010(0).jpg

20220106_171021.jpg

20220106_171050.jpg

20220106_171114.jpg

20220106_171130.jpg

20220106_171144.jpg

When I went to feed her, Gladys was up on the top level of the catio walkways! They are extra wide with wide walkways and shorter level for my klutz of a cat with arthritis (Link). But rabbits can't do big falls so it is definitely not safe for her.

She hurried down when she realized I had food. She destroyed the cat bed up there and threw down the extra toys and baggies of dried plants I had up there. We rigged up something to block the second step tonight and will do something more solid tomorrow. My Mom is arguing for making the walkway bunny safe to indulge Glady. Basically add plywood or wire fencing to the steps up to make it more enclosed. Plus adding wire to the top to make it so she can't fall off.

But either way, Gladys has definitely earned the Monkey nickname along with given me a heat attack. In my defense, most rabbits don't go where they could fall because they can get hurt. Most rabbits have some level of self preservation. Gladys apparently has enough adventure and daredevil in her to bypass any fear that being 7 feet up may have caused. I underestimated her and was fooled by Peter being in the same space for several months and never even trying to go up on the first shelf.

Note.... I took pictures and waited for her to get down because I can't reach the shelf without a ladder (except at the steps when you go in). I was worried any attempt to force her down would result in her injury so I trusted her to get down since she got up. A part of me does trust her not to fall down when she's going up or down or even up there. But all it would take is a firework nearby or something scaring her when she is up there for her to slip and fall. From the top there is no way she wouldn't at least break a leg or her back or even die from it. Rabbits bones are thin and light with their skeleton being significantly lighter then cats of the same size. They are safe with falls 2-4 feet depending on their health and age but more is asking for serious or life ending injuries.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
While my brain thinks Gladys would gladly with a little battle cry as she did it.
Just imagining a little bunny going "Geronimo!" as she launches herself over the fence.
:lol:
But either way, Gladys has definitely earned the Monkey nickname along with given me a heat attack
Wow, she is a handful, isn't she? Could you get some more wire mesh so that each shelf was enclosed and make some ramps between the levels? That way she could climb without you having to worry about her falling.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gladys managed to pull down the box that was blocking the second step last night.

IMG_20220107_105013.jpg

But there is now a wooden wall blocking off the second step. She still has access to the bottom step, because it does bring her joy.

IMG_20220107_105016.jpg

I agree with the making it bunny safe to go up idea. But that's going to be a tricky one to do something she can't break or get hurt on. Plus convincing my Dad to do the actual construction.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Next thing you know she's going to try to figure out how to escape! Urchin. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Next thing you know she's going to try to figure out how to escape! Urchin. :)
Don't go giving her any ideas. :stars:

The fencing along the side of the area is 4 feet deep concrete slabs (it's weird, some idea the guy who built my neighborhood had for fencing. It's lasted 90 years but it's basically a half buried 8 foot concrete panels. Pur house was the builders house so we have a few odd things). So she's not getting out that way. The house is the other side. The doors at either end have pavers on the opposite side so she'd have to go down and 3 feet in one direction or 10 feet and veer left another 10 feet. I think we are good on that front but it is Gladys so that may not be a given.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even mischievous bunnies get treats. Gladys and Frodo both got weekend plants today. Gladys was still playing with her box and I moved it to put down the plant so she was very bust fixing my mess. Frodo though went right for the plant with great enthusiasm. Frodo is such a good little boy. When he was put in last night we realized the fence to his area had been unlocked all day. All it would have taken was a light push and Frodo would have gotten out. He never even tried. Whereas I am pretty such Gladys would have found it and made a mad dash around the yard had positions been reversed. Such polar opposite little buns.

Screenshot_20220108-133622_Photos.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get the taller fence so rabbit can't jump over. :cool2:

20220116_130936.jpg

Rabbit goes on top of the hutch to look over fence. :stars:

IMG_20220117_103634~2.jpg

Note, He does use the plants to get up there and the area is on a slope with the hutch at the top of a slight mound to prevent flooding in the hutch. Add on perspective because the second photo was taken from inside the house, so angles are weird. Meaning... while in the second photo it looks like the hutch is taller then the fence, the fence is actually a few inches taller. And Frodo jumped on top of a bush then from Bush to hutch so he didn't jump super high.

I do like that you can see a clear difference between the grass inside and outside Frodo's area. We did get an extra fencing section so he has fresh grass along the side and we will play with the boundary of his area.

Meanwhile, Gladys had a pretty drama free week.

20220114_170736.jpg

Her spay is just over two weeks away, then 3-4 weeks healing time and the children will be reintroduced. Once they are together they will spend weekdays in the patio and weekends in the backyard. Both so I am not rushing home to put them in and also so the yard can maybe somewhat recover from the goats appetite.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The twins are having a wonderful weekend. It's a little windy here and that's a little scary but today isn't as bad as yesterday was.

Frodo got his old short fencing extended into the edge of the garden area. We are hoping the little Goat in him will help with the weeds prior to planting.

20220123_095930.jpg
20220123_095724.jpg

Gladys got a strawberry plant that didn't do well with the cold. Half the plant is dried leaves but she will eat those too.

20220123_100540.jpg
20220123_100414.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Gladys is definitely one confident bunny and Frodo is a love bug! :heartshape:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Frodo is one hip bunny! Maybe you should get him a mini-lawnmower so he can cut the plants/grass to eat. 🌱

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodo heard grandma is not happy about the state of her plants. He's keeping them under guard to make sure no (other) bunny messes with them. Just gotta make himself comfy and hard work deserves a bite from time to time.... right?

IMG_20220129_160243.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gladys goes in for her spay tomorrow (9am drop-off and 5pm pickup PST). Good thoughts and prayers for a smooth procedure and recovery are appreciated.

20220130_112432.jpg
20220130_111037.jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Comforting hugs, Gladys. :hugs: It will be okay, sweetie. All over soon and back with your brother. :redheartpump: