Twin Rabbits

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Rocket is definitely persistent but I'm glad to hear Gladys can still get some well deserved house time. 🐰

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Send help, I am trapped by an adorable sleeping bunny. I came out to give Gladys the smallest little unripe strawberry I found in my basket from the farmers market. Still holding off from giving the bunnies sweets for the most part but it was tiny and not ripe so shouldn't be super sweet. Anyways, Gladys ate it, then begged for pets, then flopped and now I am trapped. If I get up, she will wake up and she just looks so comfy.

I do have a book on my phone and 48% battery. I should be good until she wakes up. Bunnies take quick naps with their eyes open so I give it 15 minutes tops.

20211211_161305.jpg
20211211_161328.jpg
20211211_162253.jpg
20211211_162306.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been chilly and rainy here so not a lot of photo opportunities. Gladys is still in the catio and has discovered she can reach one of the lower shelves. She's thrown everything off the shelf because.... she can? Who knows, I just know the shelf is empty and the stuff that was there is on the ground. Gladys's spay appointment is set for the first week in February. Then 3-4 weeks recovery and she will be able to be reunited with Frodo.

20211218_110845.jpg

Frodo has eaten most of the grass in his area. So he gets some greens to supplement. His coloring is getting very greyish. He was grey as a newborn and turned an amber brown so it isn't completely unexpected. You can see a grey spot on his shoulder, along his back is grayish and his head is mostly greyish. It will be interesting to see if he will seasonally change or if the grey brown is his adult coloring.

20211218_110626.jpg
20211218_110608.jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I can’t believe how Frodo’s color is changing! I hope the kids still get along when they’re reunited. We had a bonded pair at the shelter that “un” bonded, but I’m sure they were under some stress. They were well cared for, but it wasn’t an ideal environment, unlike what Gladys and Frodo have.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can’t believe how Frodo’s color is changing! I hope the kids still get along when they’re reunited. We had a bonded pair at the shelter that “un” bonded, but I’m sure they were under some stress. They were well cared for, but it wasn’t an ideal environment, unlike what Gladys and Frodo have.
I'm a little nervous about reintroduction. There personalities are pretty different but that shouldn't be a huge barrier. We do have the hutch where we can keep them separate with one in and one out. But I have a feeling ill be reading up on bonding tips in the coming weeks.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Gladys is definitely spunky throwing stuff off the shelf. :biggrin: I love Frodo's coloring, it's sort of mottled and, yes, it will be interesting to see if it stays that way or changes when he becomes an adult.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A very Merry Christmas to the twins! 🎄 I hope they enjoyed their yummy plant treats.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Happy New Year from the twins! They got oranges and greens to celebrate the new year and bring good luck in the coming year. While they are still on minimal sweet diet (they are still babies) they did get some cranberries and oranges during the holiday. Oranges that dropped off our tree during the rainstorm and leftover cranberries from fixing Christmas dinner.

20211231_151240(0).jpg
20220102_102847.jpg
20220102_102803.jpg
20220102_103106.jpg
20220102_103130.jpg
20220102_103153.jpg

Frodo is also fascinated by Link and follows him around. Link is curious about Frodo but you can tell he still misses his Peter Rabbit.

20220101_095017(0).jpg
20220101_095030.jpg

Gladys continues the new year with her troublemaking. She does not like me putting things on the shelf in the patio area. I was putting the empty plant containers on the shelf to collect and take out. But she keeps throwing them off the shelf and playing with the empty pots. I don't like her on that shelf, rabbits can jump between 2 and 4 feet (typically 3 feet) somewhat safely. They aren't really built for it well though and a bad landing can have serious consequences. However, Gladys has proved her monkey status more than once and I am more afraid any attempt to keep her off the shelf will only make her more anxious to do it and result in more likelihood of injury. I really just need to stop putting things on the shelf but I have a feeling she will go up there anyways and I am just providing her entertainment in her actions. Basically, darned if I do and darned if I don't at this point... Enjoy the series of events of: her making sure it fell down, tossing the second off the shelf, enjoying her victory, jumping off the shelf, and enjoying some lettuce after tossing one pot around on the ground and dislodging the soil in it.

20220102_103820.jpg
20220102_103830.jpg
20220102_103850.jpg
20220102_103957.jpg
20220102_104211.jpg

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
LOL, Gladys is a little pistol full of spunk! 😁 Gotta love her determination to get the pots off the shelf. Happy New year to the twins, glad they got a special treat of assorted fruits.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Happy New Year bunnies!

I had no idea rabbits like oranges. Gladys is hilarious. Climbing on shelves and knocking everything off, are you sure she isn't a cat?

Couldn't they jump over the fence you have for them in the pictures with Link?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Couldn't they jump over the fence you have for them in the pictures with Link?
Theoretically, yes. We want to add more fencing and I am waiting to see if they figure that out. Right now, our theory is that since they don't have a landing spot on top they aren't comfortable with an up and over and/or don't realize they can. The cats haven't tried to jump over the fence even when they have gone inside and gotten stuck. Well, except Nightfury but he jumps over the fence onto the hutch so I don't count that since he doesn't just hop from one side to the other. He's more so jumping to the hutch then back to the ground and the fence just happens to be between (only happens when the fence is within a foot of the hutch). But I think Gladys needs more outside time before I am comfortable that she won't go over it. With her propensity for heights and mischief I don't put it past her but in her jumping she's done she always has a wide spot to jump to. Not sure if she would jump over a barrier as opposed to onto a shelf and off a shelf. Their fenced in area is inside our fenced in back yard (as long as the gate isn't open) so if they do go over it isn't immediate disaster. Just not ideal since we do have some not safe plants in the yard.

I am really debating just getting taller fencing for the whole area to be safe but haven't convinced myself the cost is justified ... yet. Plus a taller fence might need some support to stay upright whereas the current stays up with just the support of its neighbor.

Edit: I did just measure and Gladys is jumping 25 inches, the current fence is 24 inches. She can physically jump over the fence, the question is if she has motive to do it. The rabbit rescue uses a 30 inch fencing at the rescue so getting a 30-36 inch should be good to keep her in.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And I ordered 36" fencing because measuring it really made me think about how easy that would be for her. Although my Moms response was "I'll join the new and old to make a super sized area!" Which somewhat defeats the purpose but I'll work on that. My Mom is currently convinced that the rabbits won't for the whole no landing spot up top logic. While my brain thinks Gladys would gladly with a little battle cry as she did it. 36 inch should be good since it is at a height most rabbits would have a challenge with and Gladys doesn't jump from the ground to get to the shelf so it makes me think 25 inches is the extent of her comfort zone. Giving me something that should be at least 40% higher then she is comfortable jumping.

Also reminds me how expensive rabbits can be. $225 USD for the fencing to replace the existing fence. Food is about $30 a week for basic feed and another $10 a week for fresh to supplement (not counting the plants I buy for them). Litter box material is another $20 a week, at least their litter box material and poop is biodegradable. Plus Gladys's spay will be in the $600-800 range (if I am lucky, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes over that). Annual vaccine and check up is another $150-200 per rabbit for the next 14 years. Which I mention just for anyone reading along who goes "Cute! Bunny!" I budget for my pets daily needs and have an account just for their medical expenses or larger purchases like the fence that I keep at a base level that is sufficient for most cases. I usually can replenish between medical visits and needs by diverting a little budget from non-essentials without it hurting; although not always which sucks when that happens. Moral of the story, don't get rabbits if you aren't prepared for the cost and commitment.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In an attempt to occupy the troublemaker, Gladys got a paper bag full of hay. The first day she emptied everything out and spread the hay around her area. So I refilled it, I think she likes it.

Screenshot_20220105-090507_Photos.jpg

I will have to figure out some more toys for her to keep her engaged. She does have a lot of rabbit toys and I tried on puzzle toy she didn't like. So more experimenting in the future to figure out what she likes to keep her occupied.