Twin Rabbits

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
She looks like she's having a blast exploring this new, exciting environment! She'll have one up on her brother. "Mine." :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She looks like she's having a blast exploring this new, exciting environment! She'll have one up on her brother. "Mine." :)
She is having a blast with the whole thing. We did give them a few minutes together when bringing Gladys back in. She was more interested in stealing some of his alfafa then saying hi to her brother. She is a busy girl with things to do.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Frodo, making the best of it for 12 more days.
Well if that’s not the most pitiful looking little bun! Chin up, Frodo. It won’t be long before you’re back to bunny binkying (binking?).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've decided to move Frodo into the hutch starting Tuesday and let Gladys out around the hutch during the day. This will allow them to get reacquainted while still limiting Frodo from large movements or direct contact.

And yes, even though they are twins after just a few days we have to reacquainted the babies. Frodo smells different due to the vet experience and rabbit memory is very much smell driven. Since they are siblings, they will have fond smell related memories so it will be more so just getting them in a position to smell each other without the medicine smell getting in the way. Gladys is also going to be starting to display hormone driven behaviors that Frodo will be losing at the same time (her spay will be in January). So the slow separated reacquaintance is called for as well as being medically necessary to ensure Frodo is full healed and recovered from his surgery. We will get to do the whole process in reverse when Gladys is neutered. Although.... Gladys is so easy to move from patio to yard space. She gets so excited moving between the spaces and by the end of the day is ready to go back to the patio. I have a feeling Frodo is going to be a little more challenging to move between spaces.

Gladys Naptime
20211113_133848.jpg

Frodo Naptime (yes, rabbits nap with open eyes)
20211113_160617.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodo has graduated from the play pen to the outdoor hutch. Unfortunately, I haven't been home in daylight to get photos but I've been told he is adapting just fine.

Gladys on the other hand has been a grumpy child the last few days. She could be starting bunny puberty, she could be having a pseudo-pregnancy or there is a tiny chance she is pregnant. If she is back to normal in two weeks it's the first two. I am really hoping it's not the last option but it is a slight chance. Females usually aren't sexually mature until 4 to 5 months and she is just 3 months old but stranger things have happened. For now, she is staying in the patio area because she is not wanting to be picked up. Once she is cooperative again she will go outside and run around where her brother is so they can get reacquainted. For now, here are some photos of the grumpy child.

20211117_191541.jpg
20211115_203008.jpg
20211117_191436.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gladys is much less a grumpy girl. So it probably is just puberty hormones kicking in, she will get spayed in February when she's a little bigger. Today was litter box clean out day for Gladys. Since she has two giant boxes just for her, they get topped off throughout the week but cleaned Saturdays. She loves cleaning day.

20211120_070911.jpg
20211120_071043.jpg

20211120_072857.jpg

Frodo only has one smaller box because of his smaller space so everyday is litter box cleaning day in the hutch. Which he also loves. He would love to get outside the hutch but two more days of medical confinement. Not that he is super confined in the hutch but he doesn't have enough room to really run in there.

20211120_084020.jpg
20211120_083832.jpg
20211120_084201.jpg
20211120_083926.jpg
20211120_084119.jpg

We are debating keeping the kids separate until after Gladys is spayed. They can't have direct contact for another 4 weeks to make sure Frodo is sterile. It seems kind of silly to go through bonding just to separate for another 2-3 weeks while Gladys heals from her spay. But I haven't decided yet. If we keep them separate they will smell each other and do space swaps just not direct contact.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Thanksgiving to the twins, Gladys and Frodo. They are lucky to be celebrating the holiday in such a loving home. :heartshape:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Your bunnies have got such a great set up. They really all the luckiest little rabbits ever. This thread is making me want to get some rabbits, but I know it's not a good idea. I'll just have to be satisfied with looking at your pictures of the twins.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, they're both so cute. Thanks for sharing their daily lives with us. 🐰

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Any updates on the twins? What's on their Christmas wish list? 🥕🍓 🥬

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are doing pretty good. We've been switching their spaces pretty regularly. Frodo has earned himself the nickname "Goat" because when he is in the yard he literally eats everything. We moved the fence because the grass in their area looked a little sparse and within 5 hours the new six square feet of space was just as sparse. :noway:

IMG_20211201_050654_049.jpg

He also "trimmed" up one of the plants that Peter never touched. I expect that if Frodo had free range of the yard every plant would be at a nice bunny height. Frodo also chewed through a water hose in one of the plants in the area. My Mom (AKA the gardner) called him a bad bunny; I made the argument that he was actually a very good bunny helping her with the yard work and helping her locate exposed tubing.... I don't think she was convinced.

Frodo's Christmas Wish list includes a movable outdoor pen so he can go into the front yard and further away from the hutch in the back. He's better for the environment then a lawn mower and fairly effective.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think Frodo's new nickname, aka Goat, fits him to a T. :thumbsup: I hope he gets a new movable outdoor pen for Christmas if he's been a good bunny.:crossfingers:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gladys may become Gladys the Monkey soon. She discovered she can hop from ground to plant to roof and hang out on the roof of the hutch.

20211205_081307.jpg
20211205_081258.jpg
20211205_081439.jpg
20211205_081405.jpg
20211205_081510.jpg

I didn't want to spook her off so I took photos and watched. She was able to get down safely.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Intrepid explorer! You’re going to have to keep your eye on that one!
The antics of baby bunnies. I got home from running errands and she had tossed a small toy off the roof onto the ground. The toy was one I was going to put out the other day but decided to wait so I just left it on the roof for later in one of the bowls held by the pokemon up there. Guess Gladys decided she disagreed with that choice.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After Gladys decided the roof was a fun place to play we switched Frodo and Gladys areas. Gladys has been in the catio which means right out the back door this week. I've let her come inside and explore a little since she is really good with letting us pick her up (herding a bunny around when it's time to go back out is not fun).

Rocket ran across Gladys in the house on one of those adventures. Rocket is my most troublesome cat and the one I most worry about deciding a rabbit might be tasty. True to form, Rocket did try to fit Gladys in her mouth. Gladys didn't notice because Rocket waited until Gladys turned around and did one of those wide open mouth can this fit kind of things on Gladys's backside. Rocket quickly figured out Gladys was just too big to bite (along with me scolding her for trying). So Rocket backed off and just kept an eye on Gladys. Rocket is my patient hunter in the house (Link being the clumsy and Fury being the most successful). But Rocket never gives up, I've literally seen her wait for hours for a mouse to peak out of a hiding spot, and will hyper focus on prey. So her watching isn't a sign that she can be unsupervised with the buns. Rocket is also the one who stole an entire ear of corn larger then her one time, meaning Gladys's size is not protection either. But Gladys will still get supervised house time as long as she is cooperative going back when her time is up.

20211208_184903.jpg

20211208_184946.jpg