Twin Rabbits

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know some people followed the thread of Peter who sadly passed away August 19th (Found Rabbit). When we expanded Peters area middle of last year I told myself if he passed away within the first year or two I'd get another rabbit. Not to replace him, because no rabbit could replace him, but to honor him. To (try to) give another rabbit a good life to honor his life. Rabbits are sadly misunderstood and often recieve poor care through simple lack of understanding. I thought I would adopt a bonded pair but when I started looking, the rescues only would adopt to indoor set ups and my home isn't set up for indoor bunnies. So I started looking on Craigslist, Nextdoor and other sites for unwanted buns in need of a home. Then I saw it, baby bunnies (technically called kittens) born on the same day Peter passed away and only a mile from my house.

00S0S_iQHXqPUerf1z_0t20t2_600x450.jpg

00404_XUR00F9Xj7z_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

Now I didn't really want kittens, I was looking for older buns. But that little face in the middle just haunted me and after some serious debating with myself I signed up for two babies.

IMG_20210827_165314.jpg
IMG_20210827_163540.jpg

I have nothing against the black babies but the little brown one stole my heart from the first photo I saw. I picked the grey and white one too because I loved the little mustache.

Originally, the owner said that she bred them so her kids could experience babies. She was going to keep them until they were 10-12 weeks old. But she called me saying that they were growing a lot faster then expected, she had recently acquired two more rabbits (total of 11 in the home at that time) and the babies seemed ready to go. They were bottle babies and used to being handled (turns out Mom was already pregnant again within days of them being born). She felt comfortable letting me take them home at 6 weeks since I had rabbit experience. We were going to pick them up next weekend but we bumped it up to this weekend so my Mom could have birthday bunnies.

Kittens really are tender but these guys are eating pretty good and have nice healthy poops. They are (understandably) skittish but are adapting pretty well. We will introduce one new veggie per week so they don't get tummy upset, this week is lettuce. I am not giving them any fruit or high sugar veggies until they are six months old so I don't end up with stubborn fluffy. They do have a cilantro and strawberry plant in their area so they can start learning that they can eat plants. And, as babies, they get alfafa hay now but will transition to Timothy when they get older. We think we have a boy and girl; so if their spay/neuter happens after 3/4 months old they will be separated to ensure we don't have a surprise litter until we can get them spayed/neutered. They will get vaccinated for RHDV2 at 12 weeks old (assuming I can get an appointment by then). They are living in the catio and ! a playpen for now. Catio at night and when we are out, playpen inside when we are home and can supervise (cats + tiny bunnies = trouble).

20210926_164947.jpg
20210927_183839.jpg
20210927_183835.jpg

They definitely are emerging with little personalities already.

Let me introduce (tentative names, pending gender verification and if something else speaks to me as a better name).

Gladys - a super mellow hyper girl. She loves running around the catio and digging in her bedding. She's the first one to investigate and a very relaxed child. My aunt started calling her Gladys as a joke and we haven't come up with something better.

20210926_162818.jpg

Frodo - a relaxed little boy who seems to enjoy watching the world around him. His favorite spots are in or under things. In the videos I was sent of them before picking them up, he was always in the back of the group or in the corner. Don't ask me why but from the first photo he's been Frodo in my mind; something about how he lays and how quiet he seems. Dunno, but so far it is sticking.

IMG_20210927_181759.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
OMG!
:thud:
I think my head just exploded with the cuteness of it all. They are so sweet! I love bunnies, but I couldn't risk having them around all my cats. The feral instincts are too strong in most of them.

Absolutely love the names and the set up you have for them. I know Peter would have been pleased.

:heartshape:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is nothing in this world sweeter than baby bunnies...oh, all right, kittens. I did not know that about rabbits. However, it did remind me of a favorite poem by Ogden Nash...

THE GUPPY
Whales have calves,
Cats have kittens,
Bears have cubs,
Bats have bittens,
Swans have cygnets,
Seals have puppies,
But guppies just have little guppies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kieka Kieka : I'm so happy that you have new little bunnies in your life. They are absolutely adorable. And, though they don't know it, they could not have been adopted by a better bunny mommy, than you. Thanks for starting the thread. Looking forward to following their adventures. 🐰🐰

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those noses, that look that says, “I’m keeping my eye on you in case you do something of which I disapprove.”
Disapproving rabbits! The original website is defunct but someone started another one:
Disapproving Bun

Yay bunnies! I'm glad you got more buns; you have such a nice setup and a good vet and no sense in wasting that :D. Somebody has to eat those blackberries. I look forward to their twin bunny adventures.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can't wait to see more pics and hear about the antics of Gladys and Frodo as they flourish under your care. 🤗 They are the luckiest bunnies to have you as their mom and in return I'm sure you will treat them royally just as you did with Peter.:heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are so lucky to have your for their mom. I love how sweet your cats are with them.....the bunch of renegades I have here would not be ideal bunny friends.
Rocket isn't sure what they are and is a little scared; once she figures out what they are she will probably try to eat them. Nightfury is indifferent. Link snuck into their area yesterday and was demonstrating how to go through tunnels and play with toys. Link though has always loved babies. He was wonderful with Rocket when she was a baby. I often have thought he would be a wonderful foster papa but Rocket hates other cats.

Tonight, they figured out the plants are edible. The little girl couldn't wait and kept stepping on her brother in excitement.

20210928_174018.jpg

Much binking (rabbit zoomies) ensued.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Warning.... it will probably be baby bunny spam for a few weeks.

Relaxing in the playpen.
IMG_20210929_141035.jpg

Gladys up to no good when Frodo is just trying to rest (RIP to the strawberry plant. I will probably replace it in a week they do still have a parsley plant on the other side.).
20210929_180147.jpg

Gladys is very much the curious one. She enjoys pushing her way into the room that the catio is attached to. When you open the door, she comes right up to see if you have anything for her. She has very little fear and will run right over her brother I'm her excitement to see, eat or get to something.

Frodo on the other hand is a little more skittish about everything. He's more likely to run away and watch from afar until he is sure it is safe. He is cautious and quiet but I think there is a little cuddler inside him. We will respect his space but push him to grow more a little at a time. He is a lot more confident in the playpen so it might just be smaller space thing and he will get there with the catio.

They have a vet appointment in late October. We will get gender confirmation then and see about soay/neuter. If they are boy/girl we will separate them in November if we can't get them in by then. No babies for these babies. But with the vet shortage and them being speciality it might take a little while. The vets next appointment opening wouldn't be until January or February for their vaccine to give you an idea on timeline possibilities. But I am hoping they do a surgery day at the practice and we can do the vaccine at the same time sooner. It will all depend on what the vet says and openings at that point. Even if they are the same gender they will get altered around 6-8 months old for their health and to make sure hormones don't make them hate each other as they grow up. Just like cats, those hormones can make some buns very territorial and hostile. Usually bonded buns will get along but sometimes things go sideways when hormones get in the mix.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodo is really not sure about things, scary things and people are big. Today, I let them stay outside in the catio all day and kept going out to visit. Everytime, he runs to hide in a corner while his sister usually just pauses real quick them comes to investigate. Luckily, he is a very food motivated little boy so I will win him over with lettuce and greens. We will get him there will time and patience.

20211001_085406.jpg
20211001_085245.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm actually surprised that cats and rabbits adjust to us as well as they do...I mean, if some THING about 30 feet tall kept walking up to me, I'd be inclined to wet my britches the first few times! He'll learn, and figure out that he's as close to bunny heaven as a living rabbit ever gets!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Colds are miserable. I've finally reached the age where I only get one every few years...I've already had most of them (you only get "a" cold once, but the virus has been mutating for a LONG time, and there are LOTS of variants).

I LOVE that haunted house! I bet they think that they've landed in Bunny Heaven.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I swear the babies have doubled in size and are bottomless pits. I got them a new strawberry plant on Sunday, it was gone by Monday night and even the roots have been dug up by now (note to self, new strawberry plant this weekend). Frodo is still cautious child and Gladys is still little adventurous one. Right now they are trying to get a broom off the hook in the bathroom. Luckily for me, it's trapped between the door and wall so they won't be able to. But they sure are having fun trying. Not surprising, Gladys tried first and Frodo followed after a while. I'm just sitting on the step next to the door letting them play and being present.

20211007_190534.jpg
20211007_181619.jpg
20211007_191356.jpg

The person I got them from is still trying to rehome their siblings. She posted a new ad and it included baby photos. Gladys was the only broken (not solid colored) one in her litter so that's little Gladys on top of her Mom. Really in character for Gladys to be wandering around. The other siblings are copies of Mom so not sure which nugget is Frodo since his color was more grey for the first few weeks.

00i0i_gH3LIwJMzQIz_0ln0t2_600x450.jpg