Twin Rabbits

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I bet Gladys couldn't wait to get outdoors and enjoy a sunny, dry day. :sunshine:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodo would like to remind everyone that the only bunnies who belong in Easter baskets are chocolate or stuffed. Live rabbits are a 10-15 year commitment and require specialized care. Please reach out if you are considering a rabbit as a pet and want some real world costs/requirements. Also, please consider an adult rabbit adoption after Easter if you want a rabbit as there are thousands who will be abandoned within the months after Easter.

For example, his (extremely yummy and much loved) strawberry plant is a $20 treat.

1000007954.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is such a doll! I watch a lot of vet shows, including the now off the air? one about the exotic animal hospital in FL. I learned a lot about the health care and responsibility of rabbits. They are definitely not for anyone who is not going to take excellent care of them. I never realized that they cannot spit up hairballs and often have blockages because of that.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is such a doll! I watch a lot of vet shows, including the now off the air? one about the exotic animal hospital in FL. I learned a lot about the health care and responsibility of rabbits. They are definitely not for anyone who is not going to take excellent care of them. I never realized that they cannot spit up hairballs and often have blockages because of that.
Yep. The twins get specialty blends of herbs and forage that help with preventing blockage. Along with tummy rubs if either of them are looking uncomfortable (let's be honest, Gladys is a lot more cooperative with those). It can lead to GI Stasis which can kill within a day or two. Although, having a hay rich diet and plenty of space can go a long way to helping ensure a healthy digestive system. Rabbit owners have to be really on top of it if they want their buns to have long life's.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I watch a lot of vet shows, including the now off the air? one about the exotic animal hospital in FL.
Are you talking about Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER, (Dr. Kelleher)? I used to watch that show every weekend.

Frodo really seems to enjoy his special treat, a strawberry plant. 🍓 And that's a great reminder about keeping chocolate or stuffed animal rabbits in Easter baskets. Thanks! :thanks:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodos Fluffy butt is officially on a diet. I've had to clean his butt twice in the last three months because of poop build up most likely caused by him not being able to reach his butt. What does a diet look like for a rabbit?

His pellets are getting reduced from 1/4 cup a day to 1/8 cup. I'll be reducing him a tablespoon at a time so it's gradual.

His treats are being reduced, not that he gets a lot now but he will go from 3 treats (little quarter sized timothy based biscuits) with his pellets to 1 or 2 treats.

He will still get unlimited hay and access to greens.

He already doesn't eat fresh fruit but he does get 2 goji berries or a small piece of mango. We may keep that up for now.

And, his favorite, he is getting weekday yard access. I am a smidgen worried about him eating some plants but more movement will be good for him. Gladys is already pouting about seeing him run around when's she's stuck in her area. So we may do a rotation once he's dropped some weight.

1000008350.jpg
1000008379.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodo, still loving being on a diet and exercise plan. Although the reduced treats and pellets at dinner is kinda rude.

1000008687.jpg

He's looking extra chunky in the photo because he is nestled down into himself and fluffed up.