Tv Growing Up

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why this is on my mind today, but whatever :lol:

My family was military, so our viewing habits depended on where we lived. In the states, I watched mainly PBS and Nickelodeon. I loved the Disney Channel too, but we were only able to watch it at my grandmother's.

In Europe, we were stuck with AFN. I understand that it's improved greatly since then, but the AFN of my childhood consisted of a single channel that only played children's shows at certain times. We tape-recorded like mad, and were also heavily reliant on relatives recording things. Getting mail was actually exciting.

What about you guys?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched a lot of Nick @ Nite as a kid. My favorites were I Love Lucy, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Laverne & Shirley, and Green Acres. I also loved the Nickelodeon game shows and when I was in college there was even a TV channel dedicated to old school Nick game shows called Nick GAS (games and sports) that I also loved. The Disney Channel was on a lot too. Throughout high school, Who's The Boss? was my favorite show even though it had been off the air for nearly a decade.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am considerably older and we didn't get cable. People in town got cable while I was in high school. My parents got a satellite dish after I left home, it was one of those huge dishes. I remember My Friend Flicka, I think my memories of that is probably from reruns. There was also Mr Ed, various Lassie series, and My Favorite Martian. I remember a lot of the Nick at Nite series when they were first ran. There were a couple of Lucy series, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres and Bewitched.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm even older, Denice. I watched the Lone Ranger; Roy Rogers, which never made much sense to me when they took Nellybelle (the Jeep) to town to meet the stage; Lassie; Disneyland; and later, the Mickey Mouse Club. Early television was mostly reruns of movies and theater series. It took a long time before shows were developed for television. There were plenty of vaudeville-type shows, too. I can't believe anyone watched those or thought they were funny.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm with you Denice. I remember watching those along with fiddling with the rabbit ears on the tv set to get a distant station to watch speed racer, Ultron, and Dr Who.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why this is on my mind today, but whatever :lol:

My family was military, so our viewing habits depended on where we lived. In the states, I watched mainly PBS and Nickelodeon. I loved the Disney Channel too, but we were only able to watch it at my grandmother's.

In Europe, we were stuck with AFN. I understand that it's improved greatly since then, but the AFN of my childhood consisted of a single channel that only played children's shows at certain times. We tape-recorded like mad, and were also heavily reliant on relatives recording things. Getting mail was actually exciting.

What about you guys?
Haha, yes! It must be a shared experience of overseas military brats of the '80s and '90s. My grandma used to jam a tape in the VCR, turn it to Nickelodeon, press record, let it go until the tape ran out, and then mail it to us. We'd watch those tapes over and over and over again. . .

We had FEN (Far East Network), but we always said it stood for Forced Entertainment Network :tongue:. It was fine, for one channel. They only got the top-rated sitcoms so we didn't have to put up with bad shows, plus they would play different shows during the summer so we never had a re-run season. And they had kids' shows on after school and on Saturday mornings.

When I was 12 or so, they contracted with a British satellite company so we could get a few more channels, Star TV and Star Plus. Very British! Kind of warped my sense of humor, I think, lol. The only show I really remember from Star TV is The Crystal Maze, which was just amazing. I know there were others I watched too but I don't remember them.

If we were going to be gone for the evening we'd put a tape in to record that evening's shows, because there sure weren't going to be any re-runs!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Showing my age here:
I would get mad cause they Never said my name on Romper Room, watched Captian Kangroo and Soupy Sales. Watched the following when they originally aired: The Flintstones, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Laverne & Shirley, Green Acres etc...

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember Pinky Lee, Sky King, Fury- about a ranch kid and his horse-, My Friend Flicka- another horse-, Rin-Tin-Tin, Robin Hood, and,of course, Lassie. We watched on a tv where you actually saw a reflection off a mirror on the bottom of the cabinet lid, which you had to lift up at an angle, because the picture tube pointed straight up.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a kid there seemed to be a lot of shows about the human/animal connection. Horses and dogs were predominate but there were others. I remember a series called Daktari that featured a cross eyed lion and a chimp named Judy. Of course the chimp perpetuated the story that chimps are cute lovable pets, which they can be before they mature. They do grow up though and become dangerous to keep as pets.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We did not get a TV til I was 12. Sometimes I would go to a friend's house and watch Captain Kangaroo. After we got a TV, when my aunt and uncle traded up to color, I remember Lawrence Welk, Red Skelton, Yogi Bear, The Wonderful World of Disney, the Ricky Nelson Show (I had a huge crush on Ricky), The Monkees, Lassie, The Rifleman, Bonanza.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
We were one of the rare folks who had cable. I'm an 80s kid. My mother was partially disabled so TV was her favorite thing. I remember watching HBO with her. Star man was our favorite movie to watch.

I watched MTV. All the time.

As a kid I watched GI Joe cartoon on the local channel. Gem and the Holograms. Archie Bunker show was what my dad always watched when we had dinner. We had a tv on a cart and would watch a sitcom at dinner. Because when they had commercials we would discuss whatever it was they were doing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't have cable while growing up so we just had the basic stations and we couldn't always get them either. The tv was connected to one of those old style huge roof antenna things only, for some reason, the antenna was in the attic (and it's still there). There was a box next to the tv that supposedly controlled the antenna. We had horrible tv reception for the local PBS station, the local Fox station, the station that is now known as UPN and CW, and some random ones. We got the local news station just fine (CBS, ABC, NBC).

TV shows were limited to what we could see fairly well that particular day, mostly PBS (Sesame Street, cooking and craft shows, etc) and Saturday morning cartoons and the news.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat - I also loved Jem and the Holograms! I wanted to be Jem when I grew up. I remember watching a lot of TV as a kid - My Little Pony (1st generation) was my absolute favorite, but I also watched sesame Street, Mr Roger's Neighborhood, Rainbow Brite, David the Gnome, the Noozles - and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers when my brother got a say so in the tv. Then there were the Nick Game shows like Double Dare and Legends of the Hidden Temple. I wanted to be on Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. I liked Animaniacs in the 90s.

When did I have all this time? And why don't I have it anymore?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember Pinky Lee, Sky King, Fury- about a ranch kid and his horse-, My Friend Flicka- another horse-, Rin-Tin-Tin, Robin Hood, and,of course, Lassie. We watched on a tv where you actually saw a reflection off a mirror on the bottom of the cabinet lid, which you had to lift up at an angle, because the picture tube pointed straight up.
I also remember all of those shows. Also, Burns & Allen, Joey Bishop show, Leave It To Beaver and many more. I used to have a crush on Richard Greene who played Robin Hood. I was about 10 years old. I was about 6 years old when we got our first TV.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also remember all of those shows. Also, Burns & Allen, Joey Bishop show, Leave It To Beaver and many more. I used to have a crush on Richard Greene who played Robin Hood. I was about 10 years old. I was about 6 years old when we got our first TV.
I remember those, and many, many more. I just wanted to keep the list short.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I remember a lot of those old shows. When I lived with my grandmother during the summer vacations from school, she always watched Peyton Place, Perry Mason, etc. She loved her afternoon soaps. As I got older, I would watch Speed Racer and late at night, after she went to bed, I'd stay up for the Tonight Show sometimes.

When I started working at the paper plant and was working a swing-shift, television fell by the wayside. I was on second shift or sleeping at night to get up at 9:00 to get ready to be at work by 11:00, so little tv there. When I was on dayshift, I'd watch some tv, but not a lot. And once I started going to classes, it got worse. And I don't think I've really ever gotten back into the habit of watching a lot of tv since.

I wish I could find a channel that carried some of the old black/white shows: Donna Reed, Patty Duke, Dobie Gillis, etc. I'd probably watch them again. Just because.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up there was no such thing as cable, but we did get the HBO box when it came out.
Some of my favorites growing up were The Big Valley, Fury, Buck Rogers and the original Battlestar Galactica. I also loved the Monkees and when it came to the US, Doctor Who was definitely on the list of 'must see' (and still is). Hogan's Heros was one of the comedys I watched as well as F Troop.

Remember when stations actually went off the air at night?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up there was no such thing as cable, but we did get the HBO box when it came out.
Some of my favorites growing up were The Big Valley, Fury, Buck Rogers and the original Battlestar Galactica. I also loved the Monkees and when it came to the US, Doctor Who was definitely on the list of 'must see' (and still is). Hogan's Heros was one of the comedys I watched as well as F Troop.

Remember when stations actually went off the air at night?
I remember when there were only 3 networks- CBS, NBC, and Dumont.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched a lot of TV as a child. When I was a younger kid I used to love the Teletubbies, the Tweenies, the Mr. Men Show, Big Cook Little Cook, Come Outside and Balamory. When I was an older kid I used to watch Art Attack, Horrid Henry, Dead Gorgeous, Good Luck Charlie, High School Musical, Wizards of Waverly Place and Sabrina the Teenage Witch (I grew up in the early 2000s, so am one of the younger ones here!). I also used to love Pokemon and the Barbie movie franchise.