Tuxedo Cats ;)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's why he was given that name. He used to meow more than he does now, I think. But he meows a lot when I get home. I think he's trying to tell me about his day. I wish I could understand what the meows mean. He meows when I sleep in on weekends, that's an obvious one.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Curious what the delineation between bicolor and tuxedo is. Anyone have a definition?
I'm not an expert on this but roughly the difference between Bicolor and Tuxedo Cat is :-

Bicolor > White chest, legs, belly and facial markings or half white.

Tuxedo Cats > White mitts, chest, belly, nose, white face (area of nose and cheeks) resembling a mask and might have white tipped tail.

Any expert out there may correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Last edited:

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
So if the legs are white, it's not a tuxedo because he's not wearing tuxedo pants or jacket w/sleeves.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So if the legs are white, it's not a tuxedo because he's not wearing tuxedo pants or jacket w/sleeves.
That's right.

Looking at Luciano again, he is not exactly a Harlequin. A Harlequin has random spotting but Luciano has much bigger patches that makes him more a Bicolor. He is at least or around 60% white.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Looks like a white cat with black splotches, I would call him a black-and-white cat, no particular color designation but not a tuxedo, too much white. Tuxedos are mostly black with a distinctive white bib, half or so of their face should be white and white gloves and possibly spats. Just think of a human gentleman in formal dress. 

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a white cat with black splotches, I would call him a black-and-white cat, no particular color designation but not a tuxedo, too much white. Tuxedos are mostly black with a distinctive white bib, half or so of their face should be white and white gloves and possibly spats. Just think of a human gentleman in formal dress. 
Many tuxedos are still considered tuxedos even if they do not have a dominance, or even half, of white on their faces.

Milly, for example:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/296690/some-tips-on-taking-pictures-of-black-cats#post_3896006

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/311245/lightbox/post/3893921/id/317477

Last edited:

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I thought Harlequin was a term specifically for bi-colors that are black and white. Thanks for further clarifying.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I thought Harlequin was a term specifically for bi-colors that are black and white. Thanks for further clarifying.
Technically yes it is kind of but Harlequin is more of random spottings not like Luciano. He's got bigger patches.

jennifurr

To err is human, to purr is feline
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

jennifurr

To err is human, to purr is feline
Young Cat
Purraise