Tuxedo cat personalities

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sylvester has a unique personality and so did Simon a Tuxedo we had years ago, I call it "Tuxitude" lol! He does things that Simon used to do, he swats at the other cats when they are standing in the kitchen waiting to be fed, he chases and wants to wrestle some of the other ones that he knows won't hurt him back, and his previous owner when I told her about that said "I hope he's not getting his father's attitude!" as his father was the cat that really wanted to hurt him or worse when he lived at their place before I got him February 2016, he was very mean and intent on hurting Sylvester so they kept my guy in the bathroom and let him out when they closed his father off in another area, so I hope he isn't getting to be like that but I doubt it? But I wanted to ask those of you who have Tuxedos do they act differently than your other cats? He's a good boy most of the time, but at feeding time like I said he can get rather nasty and swats at some of the others, I don't know if he thinks he won't get any food which won't happen but Simon would do the same thing lol!!! :clapcat: :dunno:

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents’ tuxedo has the raspy meow of a Siamese, is incredibly clingy, and loves every human and animal she meets including wary dogs. Her purr is so loud that the vet has trouble hearing her heart and lungs. In the 16 years I’ve known her, I can count the number of times I’ve seen her hiss or swat on one hand.
Personally, I don’t think there’s evidence for a connection between coat colour and personality, but I can see how having two cats with similar patterns and personalities might make it seem that way!

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My tuxedo Gem was my first kitten and we were incredibly bonded. She was the sweetest cat, mild mannered, invented her own games, told us to go to bed- her favorite time with us- did "shakey tail" under the covers, sat in her cardboard box on the couch with us at night, and was just a great cat. No behavioral issues. I adopted her from a shelter when she was about 4 mos and lost her in August, which broke me. Luckily I have videos and lots of pictures of her. I adopted a kitten Robin, also about 4 mos who is also black and white but "cap and saddle" pattern. She's a wild one, very playful like Gem was- but like a little kangaroo and always talking. She makes the same little calls and sounds like Gem- I've accidently called her Gem, but she has her own distinct personality. Gem had been previously owned by people who decided to get rid of her because they had a baby, she was flea infested when brought to the shelter- so not taken care of. She spent a short amount of time in a cage and that may have added to shaping her personality- I saw her and she was the only one who ate and went about her business cleaning herself not paying attention to me at all. Thats what made me pick her. Robin was fostered and only in a cage for a day, I can't imagine her lasting any longer in a cage she is so loud! We picked her by picture because of covid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. It's funny because Simon was a stray, living ironically outside of Phoebe apartments in Allentown, PA. where my mother-in-law now lives, a friend of the family told us about him many years ago and I got him and he could've cared less about any of the other cats, was perfectly happy being a "loner", and I remember at times being in the basement with him kneeling down and him rubbing against me and purring, and if another cat would come up to us he let them have it like he was saying "this is MY time with daddy!!" lol! But other than that he was very outgoing and was into everything that we did, more like a dog than a cat actually!

Sylvester had a rough start too, born outside, brought in, put back outside, brought inside, something happened between him and his father, was put back outside, didn't know what to do out there, was losing weight and getting in fights, brought back inside, kept in the bathroom, so he now is so much better off here. His previous owner also said "maybe he's trying to take over the house and be the boss", I don't know, but he sure knows that out of the 9 cats he is mine, my number 1, although I certainly don't allow him to be mean to the others, maybe he feels "entitled"? But I quickly corral him when he is out of line.

Funny that they both get impatient waiting for us to put the food bowls down and start whapping the other ones! Maybe that is Simon's spirit coming out in him as he looks exactly like Simon and Sebastian combined, EXACTLY like you combined their looks!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I don’t think there’s evidence for a connection between coat colour and personality, but I can see how having two cats with similar patterns and personalities might make it seem that way!
I completely agree! :agree: However, our last cat was a torbie, i.e. half tabby & half tortie. She was without a doubt the smartest cat we have ever known and a real diva too but we loved her just the same. I've heard a lot of people say torties can have tortitude but I'm sure there are just as many that are sweethearts.:hearthrob:

My tuxedo Gem was my first kitten and we were incredibly bonded. She was the sweetest cat, mild mannered, No behavioral issues. I adopted her from a shelter when she was about 4 mos and lost her in August,
My sincere sympathies about the loss of Gem. :hugs: I couldn't help but notice in your avatar that you're from Rogers Park. One of the first cats we adopted was from a shelter in East Rogers Park. What a coincidence! :thumbsup: We had a tuxedo at one time who has gone to the Bridge but he sounds a lot like your Gem and les26 les26 his name was also Sylvester. 😉

Basically I feel it's hard to predict a specific personality based on color alone. I think there are many factors that have to be taken into consideration, e.g. genetics, environment, etc. Plus if you adopt you usually never know what their past life was before you bring them into your home. Albeit that being said, all our cats except one came from a shelter and were unique in their own way.

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely agree! :agree: However, our last cat was a torbie, i.e. half tabby & half tortie. She was without a doubt the smartest cat we have ever known and a real diva too but we loved her just the same. I've heard a lot of people say torties can have tortitude but I'm sure there are just as many that are sweethearts.:hearthrob:

My sincere sympathies about the loss of Gem. :hugs: I couldn't help but notice in your avatar that you're from Rogers Park. One of the first cats we adopted was from a shelter in East Rogers Park. What a coincidence! :thumbsup: We had a tuxedo at one time who has gone to the Bridge but he sounds a lot like your Gem and les26 les26 his name was also Sylvester. 😉

Basically I feel it's hard to predict a specific personality based on color alone. I think there are many factors that have to be taken into consideration, e.g. genetics, environment, etc. Plus if you adopt you usually never know what their past life was before you bring them into your home. Albeit that being said, all our cats except one came from a shelter and were unique in their own way.
Thank you, losing Gem was a killer, I still talk to her every day. I've known a few people that have had torties and they have lived longer than any other cats I've known- 20 years. Was the the shelter you adopted from Felines Inc. on Devon? Now called Felines and Canines. They've been around for a long time. I went there the year I adopted Gem. I adopted Gem in 2007 from Chicago Anti Cruelty Society on Grand. Robin we adopted from Tree House animal shelter- they used to be in Andersonville, and opened up a massive shelter with cat cafe on Western.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Robin we adopted from Tree House animal shelter- they used to be in Andersonville, and opened up a massive shelter with cat cafe on Western.
OMG, not our tuxedo but we adopted a beautiful long-haired gray cat from Tree House when they were in their original location on Carmen near Broadway. I really liked that location because they were in an old charming Victorian house. But I understand they needed more room, hence the move to Western Ave. We adopted our tuxedo, Sylvester, from Heartland Animal Shelter. He was found in the woods nearby and I couldn't resist his handsome features.

Sorry for getting sidetracked from this thread. :oops:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon was outside like I said at the Phoebe Home apartments and when I went to see him I met a nice couple who had been taking care of him and more importantly some young kittens, they didn't live there but were trying to help, it was October and getting colder and they were worried about them. We didn't see Simon at first, and the guy said "that's strange, he's usually around", and then a few seconds said "oh there he is" and he pointed down as he was standing right next to me lol! I asked twice "are you sure that he has nothing to do with these kittens?" and they said he didn't, and one walked up to him and Simon walked right past him, ignored it so I knew it was true. I asked if I could pick him up and they said "you can do anything you want with him", I picked him up and he didn't struggle at all. I put him down and he walked away but stayed near, and I remember thinking about it, should we take in another cat? We already have two, should we do this? I still can see him standing there about 35 feet away, knew it was getting colder out, and I said "okay, this is your lucky day...or maybe not" depending on how you looked at it lol! I told them I would take him, thanked them, wished them luck with the kittens, and just put him in my Bronco and drove him to the vet, no carrier or box or anything! I do remember one time he stood up against the side door and cried as he was looking out the window and I thought "oh no, I wonder if he really wants to stay here?", but I knew that was no life for him. The woman that lived there that told us about him said he would hide in the bushes and try to come inside when the door opened, and some people would feed him popcorn? 😟 So I kept going, carried him into the vet, said "this is our new cat, could you check him out please?", and they were amazed that I could do that lol! I was in a room with him, on the floor with him, petting him and talking to him and he got so excited that he bit me lol, and Sylvester does the same thing!! I called Deb to tell her about him, she was cutting the grass but stopped and came over to see him, they were closing soon and she just made it but she wanted to see him! They kept him for a few days as they checked him out, then we took him home after that and he was a character, he loved to eat just like Sylvester so again I think he is in Sylvester in spirit!

Sylvester like I said was born outside at this ladies house so we knew his background, his sister still lives with this lady and she looks just like a mini version of him! She took him in, then he was back outside, then inside then everything was fine until one day he and his father wanted to look out the same window, neither one was fixed and they got into a huge fight and ever since then his father wanted to kill him so they had to keep Sylvester or "Charlie" as they called him inside the bathroom, only leaving him out when they would isolate his father but that wasn't much. She said that she tried putting him outside again but he was running back and forth not knowing where to go or what to do, she lives in a very small row home in Allentown, PA. which isn't the best place for any animals, he was losing weight and had a nasty cut on his neck and he still to this day has a white spot there not fur, it'll never go away. She brought him inside and prayed so hard that someone would want him, she knew he wouldn't survive outside again so they contacted the Cat Shack who couldn't take him but they did a "courtesy post" where they put his picture and information on their website but you had to go through the owners if you wanted him, not the Cat Shack. I met her at the front door, gave her my carrier, she brought him out, I put him in the same seat and truck as Simon was in many years ago, could only see his face basically but when we got to the vet and they took him out of the carrier I could see two things, one, he looked exactly like Simon and Sebastian a long haired Chantilly who also died in my arms combined, exactly, and that's what I was looking for! And two, he was so skinny and loss of hair in his back and rear areas and bleeding from flea bites that I started to cry....the vet tech touched my arm and said sweetly "it's all very treatable" and I said "I know, but this guy is very special to me" and explained how he resembled those two boys and she looked at him and said "oh, your new daddy loves you very much!" and I do, I was still very distraught over coming home and having Sebastian die in my arms 3 months earlier so I was in rough shape as he also was, so we found each other, in the darkness, we saved each other, and I will never forget that nor these moments.

So I don't know if any of that plays into why they act like they do and did, they should know that there is food and water and shelter and love available 24/7 365 days a year, so I don't know why they act like that? But they do. And also now looking back and wondering if we should get a third cat when I got Simon makes me laugh as we have had 9 for many years and at times 10 lol!! :lol: :clapcat:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My tuxedo Herschel was my first pet. If ever a perfect creature existed, it was Herschel. He grew from kittenhood in a house where 8 animal lovers (students) lived and he was the only pet. He got so much affection any time he wanted. Laps were always open to him. He grew up to be a real lover. I told him one time not to get on counters. There was no evidenced that he ever got on counters again. He never bit or scratched. I still miss that guy after 45 years.

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Simon was outside like I said at the Phoebe Home apartments and when I went to see him I met a nice couple who had been taking care of him and more importantly some young kittens, they didn't live there but were trying to help, it was October and getting colder and they were worried about them. We didn't see Simon at first, and the guy said "that's strange, he's usually around", and then a few seconds said "oh there he is" and he pointed down as he was standing right next to me lol! I asked twice "are you sure that he has nothing to do with these kittens?" and they said he didn't, and one walked up to him and Simon walked right past him, ignored it so I knew it was true. I asked if I could pick him up and they said "you can do anything you want with him", I picked him up and he didn't struggle at all. I put him down and he walked away but stayed near, and I remember thinking about it, should we take in another cat? We already have two, should we do this? I still can see him standing there about 35 feet away, knew it was getting colder out, and I said "okay, this is your lucky day...or maybe not" depending on how you looked at it lol! I told them I would take him, thanked them, wished them luck with the kittens, and just put him in my Bronco and drove him to the vet, no carrier or box or anything! I do remember one time he stood up against the side door and cried as he was looking out the window and I thought "oh no, I wonder if he really wants to stay here?", but I knew that was no life for him. The woman that lived there that told us about him said he would hide in the bushes and try to come inside when the door opened, and some people would feed him popcorn? 😟 So I kept going, carried him into the vet, said "this is our new cat, could you check him out please?", and they were amazed that I could do that lol! I was in a room with him, on the floor with him, petting him and talking to him and he got so excited that he bit me lol, and Sylvester does the same thing!! I called Deb to tell her about him, she was cutting the grass but stopped and came over to see him, they were closing soon and she just made it but she wanted to see him! They kept him for a few days as they checked him out, then we took him home after that and he was a character, he loved to eat just like Sylvester so again I think he is in Sylvester in spirit!

Sylvester like I said was born outside at this ladies house so we knew his background, his sister still lives with this lady and she looks just like a mini version of him! She took him in, then he was back outside, then inside then everything was fine until one day he and his father wanted to look out the same window, neither one was fixed and they got into a huge fight and ever since then his father wanted to kill him so they had to keep Sylvester or "Charlie" as they called him inside the bathroom, only leaving him out when they would isolate his father but that wasn't much. She said that she tried putting him outside again but he was running back and forth not knowing where to go or what to do, she lives in a very small row home in Allentown, PA. which isn't the best place for any animals, he was losing weight and had a nasty cut on his neck and he still to this day has a white spot there not fur, it'll never go away. She brought him inside and prayed so hard that someone would want him, she knew he wouldn't survive outside again so they contacted the Cat Shack who couldn't take him but they did a "courtesy post" where they put his picture and information on their website but you had to go through the owners if you wanted him, not the Cat Shack. I met her at the front door, gave her my carrier, she brought him out, I put him in the same seat and truck as Simon was in many years ago, could only see his face basically but when we got to the vet and they took him out of the carrier I could see two things, one, he looked exactly like Simon and Sebastian a long haired Chantilly who also died in my arms combined, exactly, and that's what I was looking for! And two, he was so skinny and loss of hair in his back and rear areas and bleeding from flea bites that I started to cry....the vet tech touched my arm and said sweetly "it's all very treatable" and I said "I know, but this guy is very special to me" and explained how he resembled those two boys and she looked at him and said "oh, your new daddy loves you very much!" and I do, I was still very distraught over coming home and having Sebastian die in my arms 3 months earlier so I was in rough shape as he also was, so we found each other, in the darkness, we saved each other, and I will never forget that nor these moments.

So I don't know if any of that plays into why they act like they do and did, they should know that there is food and water and shelter and love available 24/7 365 days a year, so I don't know why they act like that? But they do. And also now looking back and wondering if we should get a third cat when I got Simon makes me laugh as we have had 9 for many years and at times 10 lol!! :lol: :clapcat:
What a hard story! You are a wonderful father!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a couple of tuxedo's Rebel and Tom. Both cat's were only cat's there was no way they would of had another cat on their turf. And both put up with kid's brilliantly Rebel was my childhood cat, I carried that cat around put him in prams and he never took his claws to me. He was so affectionate with everyone. Tom was my kid's boy he too put up with kid's and had a reputation for taking other cat's food he would think nothing of walking in the neighbouring houses to steal their cat's food. He thought everything was his. Well why wouldn't it be it was so nice of the neighbours to put food out and leave a window open.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My tuxedo Sango came from a hoarding situation. It’s funny because in the first 4 months or so of having her, I thought she was mute because she never made a sound . Now she trills and meows and is quite chatty. She especially loves attention from me and if I just slightly move my leg, she quickly jumps out of her cardboard box and and runs towards me to meow because she thinks I’m going to play with her. The funniest is when she meows after drinking water from her fountain . . it’s a weird gurgle noise lol

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
while i see similarities in my 3 tuxedos babies they are definitely different too. Ninja is an alley cat that we only usually see at night when we make him come in and when he is hungry. He's scared of humans. Except us and a few friends. He is a biter and a growler when he is not happy. He also screams bloody murder when he finds a cat in the alley behind our house. We always know when he sees one,
Ninja.jpg

Toby has Megaesophagus and is very sweet but not a lap cat at all. i assume it has more to do with comfort when he is not feeling good but he loves when I find him sleeping and give him attention. He is also a biter when he doesn't get his way. He has a very weird meow but I think it could be because of this throat issue.
Tobys.jpg

TJ is our youngest and newest black and white. He is dumb, :lol: He hasn't quite figured out how to use his back legs to land and often falls off things. He repeatedly gets on our counters even after multiple attempts to stop this and he loves to push dishes and other items on the floor. Although he doesn't do it like other cats would. he has to try to lay in the cupboard and knock things out of the cupboard. TJ is my baby though! When i go to work he cries at the door or watches out the window and cries. He comes running to me when I get home. He also sleeps with me at night. The weirdest thing about him is that he is a blanket sucker. He was a bottle baby which lots of them suck blanket but they grow out of it. TJ still does it and he really gets a whole mouth of blanket and sleeps with it in his mouth lol. So at night, he sleeps with his butt on my shoulder so he can suck his blanket. His meow is high pitched whiney little mew. No matter what I love them all 💕
TJtongue.jpg
Edited to add TJ with blanket!
PXL_20210107_192357308.jpg

Last edited: