Turning Outdoor Cats Into Indoor Cats

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello everyone!
I’ve got a bit of a dilemma. I’m moving from an apartment that’s set way off the street (most likely) to a house on a street corner.
My cats insisted on being outdoor from the very beginning. Since the area was safe and away from the streets, I went with it.
However, when I move, it seems like it would be too dangerous to let them be outside living just off the street. Has anyone successfully made this transition and how did you go about it?
I’m horrified at the prospect. I had to keep one of my kitties inside for a month and he was soooo depressed.
Help!
Thank you

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I definitely agree that it’s best that you transition your cat to indoor only, considering the danger of the busy street. I understand how getting an outdoor cat acclimated to indoor life can seem like an overwhelming task at first, but it can be done! I’ll attach a link to an article that gives some amazing tips about how to go about this: The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
abyeb abyeb thanks for that info. I guess it’s just going to take lots of sleepless nights for me with them meowing and scratching at doors to go out.
I’ve got to just stick to it no matter how crazy they make md or how sad they seem in the beginning

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jazzy was outside only when we took her in. We kept her in one room to start - a bedroom so someone was with her at most times. After 2 months we let her roam the house with our neutered male. They took to each other almost instantly and she has only tried to get out twice. Once they know indoors is safe and all good they mellow out. But the time it takes can vary, in the mean time watch for them going outside the litter box to show they are unhappy. That was the only thing we had to deal with and it went away pretty quickly with her. I wish you lots of luck!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have brought two cats from outdoors to inside. They are fine with it now, about 2 years later. I try to play with them a lot, and feed the birds right outside a window, they love to watch, kind of like TV for cats i think :) They do occasionally act like they want out, but not often. When they do i try to distract them with play. Good luck with your cats, i think you are doing the right thing. :)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Buddy was an outside adventure cat any time he wanted. He lived on our screened in back porch and got to run the property any time we were home.
Then he got sick and spent two weeks in a bedroom. He's not been back outside since. (well, his litterbox is in the screened in porch, so, he does spend time out there).
If not going out bothers him, he sure hasn't mentioned it....much. :lol: