turkey thighs?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Specter thinks MIKO CHICKEN AND TURKEY is crack and WILL NOT turn it down ever, so it was our safe food. However, we've ran out of it and .. Well, I don't want to support chewy lol or the miko company very much; to be honest. No hate, it's just that I don't like --- Blah; yawn, I don't need to explain myself, that's not the point.
Turkey thighs are my point!
Are turkey thighs like, a moist-er part of turkey meat, similar to chicken?
My dad says the meat is dry, and I will be boiling it so I wanna know.
HERE'S the meat I'm contemplating Turkey Thighs
For the record all I've done for home cooked; is chicken thighs.. So I'm unsure about other meats

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista loves turkey thighs! They are the difference maker between a chub of turkey meat she can't be bothered with and Rad Cat or my homemade which she becomes excited and even pushy for. But I use turkey thighs mostly in raw food; sometimes also as a sashimi treat--a small piece cut finely since she's toothless now and topped with a little powdered freeze-dried turkey liver. Occasionally I will make meat stock out of the bones with a little meat left on them. After the stock is done, I'll pick the cooked meat off the bone and save that for her as a treat.

If you poach the turkey thigh meat and retain the water it cooked in for your homemade food, it should remain moist. I think turkey dries out when people bake it for a long time without regular basting it to keep it moist. My Instant Pot turkey, the meat from the stock bones, is always moist and never fails to satisfy Krista. I don't eat it myself so I can only go by her feedback.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that Krista loves turkey thighs... our cats don't like them much at all and I wish they did! Then again, they're not big on chicken thighs, either, so if Specter likes how you make chicken thighs, she'll probably like how you make turkey thighs. (Not that cats are always that logical but, well.)

I, too, tend to think turkey thighs should remain most. Moister than turkey tenderloin, at any rate, which our cats love but which does tend to dry out a bit, though it also reabsorbs water very, very nicely after being cooked and cut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Krista loves turkey thighs! They are the difference maker between a chub of turkey meat she can't be bothered with and Rad Cat or my homemade which she becomes excited and even pushy for. But I use turkey thighs mostly in raw food; sometimes also as a sashimi treat--a small piece cut finely since she's toothless now and topped with a little powdered freeze-dried turkey liver. Occasionally I will make meat stock out of the bones with a little meat left on them. After the stock is done, I'll pick the cooked meat off the bone and save that for her as a treat.

If you poach the turkey thigh meat and retain the water it cooked in for your homemade food, it should remain moist. I think turkey dries out when people bake it for a long time without regular basting it to keep it moist. My Instant Pot turkey, the meat from the stock bones, is always moist and never fails to satisfy Krista. I don't eat it myself so I can only go by her feedback.
Thank you! Yeah all I saw at the market were those like.. Logs of turkey meat. lol, good point about the moisture, I think I will probably just boil until it's not red/pink so it's tougher and wetter like she likes it rather than how I ruined her second last bath of chicken I boiled for like.. thirty minuts and she hated it

I'm glad that Krista loves turkey thighs... our cats don't like them much at all and I wish they did! Then again, they're not big on chicken thighs, either, so if Specter likes how you make chicken thighs, she'll probably like how you make turkey thighs. (Not that cats are always that logical but, well.)

I, too, tend to think turkey thighs should remain most. Moister than turkey tenderloin, at any rate, which our cats love but which does tend to dry out a bit, though it also reabsorbs water very, very nicely after being cooked and cut.
She's just a little piggy! If I'm gonna be honest, her fave was beef but she can't handle it. Which is why I'm kind of worried about turkey but I figured it's the cheapest and most none-offensive/exotic... Sigh. What do your cats like? also thank you

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats like chicken breasts, turkey tenderloin, and any cut of pork!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Specter thinks MIKO CHICKEN AND TURKEY is crack and WILL NOT turn it down ever, so it was our safe food. However, we've ran out of it and .. Well, I don't want to support chewy lol or the miko company very much; to be honest. No hate, it's just that I don't like --- Blah; yawn, I don't need to explain myself, that's not the point.
Turkey thighs are my point!
Are turkey thighs like, a moist-er part of turkey meat, similar to chicken?
My dad says the meat is dry, and I will be boiling it so I wanna know.
HERE'S the meat I'm contemplating Turkey Thighs
For the record all I've done for home cooked; is chicken thighs.. So I'm unsure about other meats
My girls love it when I roast a turkey thigh and share it with them. :yummy:

They are moister than the white meat for sure and have more flavor.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From a human food standpoint, turkey thighs aren't dry if cooked right. Of course it also depends some on the quality of the meat.

But all my cat eats in terms of homemade is turkey thigh. But I only cook them so that the surface is cooked or mostly cooked (baked, covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes +/-) so they are pretty much raw and don't get cooked enough to dry out. Boiled may be a different story. I imagine they'd be tougher if boiled all the way to done.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried cooking some of the leftover turkey thigh from my cats’ homemade raw for myself and it was pretty dang gross. Kitties love it raw though.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to hi-jack the thread but speaking of turkey and cat food ... I just deboned 8 turkey thighs. It's cat food day tomorrow. Looks like somewhere between 8 - 10 lbs. I haven't weighed it yet. Personally, I don't enjoy making the cat food. It's not terrible but it is definitely a chore that takes the better part of an afternoon. Clean-up being the worst part. It would save a good bit of time and work if I didn't bother with surface cooking the thighs but I just can't bring myself to that point. I just feel better about his food that way, from a safety standpoint. Plus, he's been eating it that way so I don't want to change how I do it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to hi-jack the thread but speaking of turkey and cat food ... I just deboned 8 turkey thighs. It's cat food day tomorrow. Looks like somewhere between 8 - 10 lbs. I haven't weighed it yet. Personally, I don't enjoy making the cat food. It's not terrible but it is definitely a chore that takes the better part of an afternoon. Clean-up being the worst part. It would save a good bit of time and work if I didn't bother with surface cooking the thighs but I just can't bring myself to that point. I just feel better about his food that way, from a safety standpoint. Plus, he's been eating it that way so I don't want to change how I do it.
An afternoon? Making Krista’s food is often a two or three day affair. Last batch was rabbit. So day one was thawing the frozen fryers in the fridge. Every few hours I’d flip them in the tub of water and knock off the ice that formed. Day two I butchered the rabbits because she only likes the leg meat. The loin and rack go to friends and the rest goes into the Instant Pot for meat stock. The leg meat trimmed from the bone goes into the freezer. Grinding anything less than frozen meat turns into pink slime. Day three is grinding the frozen meat and organs, mixing with Alnutrin, portioning and freezing again. But I portion to thin snack baggies so I can go from freezer to plate in a minute or two under luke warm water. With a pushy Krista on the kitchen counter giving me hurry up nips and nudges. 😻 I have to put a tub of water on the kitchen counter to keep my furry foreman out of the food making process. 😹

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Specters food takes about 5 hours to do 7-days-worth, I like making it but because it takes so long paired with my mental issues, it's very stressful because of paranoid nonsensical thoughts. spec likes cleaning up the pan though

also note the company kept bouncing back my card so we were never able to get turkey! looking local i suppose