Turkey liver

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cannot source turkey liver locally. Gizmo can't eat chicken and I'm about 90% sure that chicken liver is a no go as well so I don't chance it. So, I use freeze dried turkey liver to substitute for the liver in his homemade turkey.

At any rate, for those of you who are able to get fresh (or frozen) turkey liver, how much does it cost? I picked up a 16 oz tub of freeze dried turkey liver for $9.00. According to the conversion calculator I use, the 1 lb. of freeze dried is equivalent to a bit under 3 lbs. of fresh turkey liver. So, I'm paying roughly the equivalent of $3.00 and change per pound of turkey liver. It's not cost prohibitive but I'm wondering how much fresh turkey liver would cost. I know that those tubs or packs of chicken liver is pretty cheap. I've asked the meat guys at the local grocery but they can't order turkey liver for me.

Just wondering. Thanks.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask about turkey giblets? Sometimes I can get the butcher to sort them for me. But most of the time, I just buy a bag of whatever they have. It's more gizzards than I know what to do with but also some livers and hearts. I don't know how much I pay for them. I'm thinking it's less than $3/lbs though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Called the largest meat market / butcher in the area yesterday. All they ever have are gizzards. But they are probably a 40 minute drive from me anyway. There is only one butcher shop close to me but they are "known" for their steak and hamburger which is why I haven't called them yet. I probably should call them just to check.