Turkey hearts are they safe?

SusanaY

Pat
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, first of all I’m so glad this forum exists, it’s been so helpful . So, I’ve been trying to make a new flavor of raw cat food and I’ve tried with turkey. I use catinfo.org recipe, But i’ve been using chicken hearts and liver, I’ve red that turkey liver is to high in vitamin A so I won’t use it, but what about the hearts? Can I use them? Are they safe? Do they have the same amount of Taurine as chicken hearts?
thank you!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - chicken and turkey are very close in nutritional value. I alternate between turkey/chicken liver and hearts in equal amounts in my recipes. I have never heard that turkey liver is dangerous.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thank you for your answer, this is what I found:

Warning - Turkey liver is very high in vitamin A

Thanks again
If you read to the end of that thread, you will see that mschauer made a mistake calculating the AAFCO recommended upper limit and that the newer version of the USDA database puts the level of Vitamin A in turkey liver much lower than what mschauer was originally basing their thread on.

I use a recipe that has 5-6% turkey liver in it - and mschauer (the creator of that thread) conducted nutritional analyses on my recipe to validate it.