Tummy trouble for Mac

macsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I found this site while researching higher quality cat food, and now one of my kiddos seems sick. There seem to be a lot of really knowledgeable people here so maybe I can get advice.

My Mac is 7 years old, indoors only, has feline herpes but no outbreaks for a year and a half. He and our female free feed dry food (both just grab a nibble here and there throughout the day) and rotate between Trader Joes cat food, Fancy Feast, and a third food. The last spot went from Friskies to Blue Buffalo to Whiskas pouches, which Mac loves but I want to replace with something better quality. He's been eating the Whiskas for a couple of months.

Six days ago, Friday, Mac seemed very lethargic but ate and drank normally. He just wanted to sleep in my lap nonstop. I didn't notice any bowel movement. Ditto the next day: eat, drink, sleep, but no playing or running around (he's VERY busy usually). Then that night, Saturday, he had a bowel movement and suddenly began running around like a nut as usual again.

Things were fine until Monday, I noticed the Whiskas were a different variety in the cabinet. Mac are it all but threw it all up. He kept playing and acting normal the rest of the day, and tueseday. Then this morning, Wed, he had Whiskas in the morning and three hours later had terrible gas and diarrhea. I withheld food for twelve hours (he was crying like I was killing him) and I boiled up some chicken. He hates people food and ignored it. I broke down after an hour of struggling with him and gave him some fancy feast and he had diarrhea yet again.

So I'm concerned that he either has a hairball, is having diarrhea because he was constipated over the weekend, or that Whiskas is starting to bother him now. He has no herpes symptoms but could it be his herpes? He won't eat chicken so I don't know what to do and I'll be out of the house for much of tomorrow because it's Thanksgiving. Any advice appreciated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's most likely the different food.  I would elminate that from the rotation and see if he gets any better.  Otherwise, I'd get him to the vet for a check up and blood work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. He tried to visit this morning but only produced the tiniest amount, like a teaspoons worth of clear liquid mixed with a tiny clump of fur. We are going to try a Hairball remedy as my mom has been convinced it's a Hairball from the start. If nothing happens then we are off to the vet tomorrow.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I would get him to the vet to rule our anything medical.  He could be blocked or impacted.  Then, look at the food.  He needs for the tummy to calm down first.  I'd still remove the one that you think is causing the issues, though. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

Personally, I would get him to the vet to rule our anything medical.  He could be blocked or impacted.  Then, look at the food.  He needs for the tummy to calm down first.  I'd still remove the one that you think is causing the issues, though. 

It's AMAZING the things that can cause tummy troubles. I took Sara in the other day because she was getting very finicky (even not eating her dinner one evening at all) as well as vomiting a little bit of foam. Turns out she has an infected tooth an an abscess on her anal gland. Of all things - I honestly never thought we'd be finding those things. Both were likely causing discomfort which affects appetite. She has other pre-existing problems as well, but still, I'm really glad I took her in that day.

One thing I can honestly say that I learned this week - trust my gut when it comes to their eating habits. And DEFINITELY don't wait till they get to a point they won't eat at all.

macsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Going to the vet tomorrow so keep your paws crossed. I'm pretty sure now that it's a hairball or some other blockage and the food change was a coincidence, because he's gone from diarrhea to constipation. I'm worried sick.

macsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the problem seemed to resolve last night, I had fed him some pumpkin twice during the day and he had a small hard poop in the evening. Once that one was out of the way, he later had four nice regular stools, no straining and seemed greatly relieved (as were we). Since he's still playful and has good appetite and is drinking, vet said we could just monitor him today and bring him tomorrow if anything seems off again. We are in a hole financially due to my own kidney failure/medical expenses so hopefully there will be no vet bill. But if there is, we'll just use the rent money, oh well!

Thanks, donutte donutte , we think he's pretty handsome. So does he, actually.