tufts of hair coming out by root.dry skin

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brought in a stray cat, had him neutered, rabies, combo tested, revolution given, distemper. Trying to incorporate him into my household of 4 cats, until a furever home can be found.

He loses tiny tufts of hair, and attached to them is a hunk of white skin. At first I thought maybe it was leftover scabs and scratches, and maybe it is, but I am concerned because there seems to be several every day, and I don't feel that many scabs on him. The other thing is he is very sensitive on his lower back. kind of reacts like a dog does when you touch that area, and is frequently reaching for it. I brushed up and down on it, and don't see any flaking, but I think the hair might be thinner there.

Anybody see this before, any ideas? Something contagious?

thanks.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just bumping this up for you.  You obviously had him at the Vets for the shots, neutering, etc., and he didn't seem to have anything contagious at that time, and I'm guessing he's been indoors ever since?    Could be from stress, since you don't know his background....

If you're not seeing any flaking, not sure it would be dry skin.  What are you feeding him?  A good high quality wet food, or is he a kibble addict?   How old is he anyway?  Have you discussed this with your Vet?  You might just be able to call them and discuss it

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Before the tufts come out, do they form small clumps on his coat? This sounds very much like something my Wesley developed his last five years of life. I could actually pull on the clumps and they would easily lift away from his coat, bringing with them a bit of skin. They were easily removed by brushing (the Furminator was great at this) and removing them did not seem to cause any pain. However Wesley could only stand being brushed above his tail for a few minutes as the whole area would become too sensitive.

I don't know if Wesley's problem was just a milder form of the same thing your cat has, or if it was totally unrelated. He lived to be 19 and this never seemed more than a curiosity. If you do get some answers, however, I would be very interested in knowing them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for your responses.

He is a stray, 3.5 years old, and I had him neutered etc. with a tnr group, so I did not talk to the vet and they do nothing more than what they are contracted to do. he is eating hi quality wet and dry. 

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to answer you about it being contagious. I had other cats at the same time as Wesley and none of them ever developed this condition.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

thanks for your responses.

He is a stray, 3.5 years old, and I had him neutered etc. with a tnr group, so I did not talk to the vet and they do nothing more than what they are contracted to do. he is eating hi quality wet and dry. 
Considering all this,I don't have any idea.  Was almost hoping he was eating cheap food, so I could suggest a change in food
.  Since he seems sensitive in that area,maybe it's time for a Vet visit to have him checked out

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful news!
  He is really beautiful and just glowing with health.  What are you feeding him now?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
petsmart brand small cans. I think it is called American choice. also gets purina one dry for sensitive systems.