Tufts Behind Ears?

TJP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued 2 kittens that are now about 11 months old. They are thought to be Maine Coon (mixes?) but the one has now developed the cutest long tufts of hair behind his ears. They are brothers, but look nothing alike. Wondering if this is a Maine Coon trait, or possibly some other breed? The pic of both of them is from when they were around 5 months old? The next is the most recent picture of Figgy with his ear tufts at around 11 months old. He's definitely in his "teenage" years and going through a bit of an awkward stage. lol. I think the tufts are just adorable. Wondering if they will always be there as he continues to grow.
figgy ollie 2.jpg
figgy ears.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hair on top of the ears (lynx tufts) and inside the ears (ear furnishings) are Maine Coon traits, but I've never seen a cat with tufts behind the ears. Figgy seems to have less of a mane in the second picture, less dense hair, so my guess is that he might be "blowing coat" for the summer, and that the long ear tufts behind his ears might be some of that shagginess that comes along with that, maybe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TJP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hair on top of the ears (lynx tufts) and inside the ears (ear furnishings) are Maine Coon traits, but I've never seen a cat with tufts behind the ears. Figgy seems to have less of a mane in the second picture, less dense hair, so my guess is that he might be "blowing coat" for the summer, and that the long ear tufts behind his ears might be some of that shagginess that comes along with that, maybe?
Figgy's mane has thinned out quite a bit but is still long on his belly and tail. His Brother, Ollie, however looks the same as he did as a kitten, just bigger! I am guessing he will fill out again as he continues to mature. These tufts though, are something i have never encountered. And again, his brother does not have them at all!
figgy ollie 4.jpg

Lesliejoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8-month old ragdoll, male "Misha" is getting rather punky. This is a current photo of him and you will note the longer tufts of fur behind (not in!!) his ears. My older female never had any of it. Any comments? I might get some gel and spike it out!!

Attachments

nrchristman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued 2 kittens that are now about 11 months old. They are thought to be Maine Coon (mixes?) but the one has now developed the cutest long tufts of hair behind his ears. They are brothers, but look nothing alike. Wondering if this is a Maine Coon trait, or possibly some other breed? The pic of both of them is from when they were around 5 months old? The next is the most recent picture of Figgy with his ear tufts at around 11 months old. He's definitely in his "teenage" years and going through a bit of an awkward stage. lol. I think the tufts are just adorable. Wondering if they will always be there as he continues to grow. View attachment 189604 View attachment 189605
I have a kitty that is just a year old . She looks just like you orange and white kitty but has long hair . The same exact long tufts behind her ears . Until now haven’t seen another that looks so much like her Her name is Molly. She is a big girl weighs 11 pounds . Glad I found you r post !

Lesliejoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8-month old ragdoll, male "Misha" is getting rather punky. This is a current photo of him and you will note the longer tufts of fur behind (not in!!) his ears. My older female never had any of it. Any comments? I might get some gel and spike it out!!
I have a kitty that is just a year old . She looks just like you orange and white kitty but has long hair . The same exact long tufts behind her ears . Until now haven’t seen another that looks so much like her Her name is Molly. She is a big girl weighs 11 pounds . Glad I found you r post !
It's now almost a year later and Misha still has the tufts, also he has quite a lot of extra hair behind his front legs. I wish he was as easy to comb as my 7-year old, but I finally ordered a mesh muzzle so I wouldn't get dug up. I had to wash him after an accident which left mats in his back rump....that wasn't fun, and now I have every grooming tool imaginable. The Furrminator works great on my female, but Misha's coat is so soft and bunny like.