Trying To Wean, Please Help!

chunkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a kitten in that's about five weeks old, his name is Chunkie! We found him outside when he was about two weeks old and have been caring for him since. We have already started the weaning process and have been trying for nearly a week now, but I'm really having some trouble! I've never had to wean a kitten before, and have been doing my best to follow the advice I've found online, but Chunkie just doesn't seem to do what those online say he should be doing. He doesn't want anything to do with wet food unless it's smothered in formula, and even then he doesn't want it most of the time. I've successfully gotten him to eat at wet food out of a lid from a clear plastic container one time, and another time he started eating wet food out of the can on his own without any formula even in it. Any other time he has eaten wet food has been out of my hand, but now he won't even do that anymore. I always give him a bottle after attempting to get him to eat out of a saucer which almost always fails- and he downs a whole bottle very quickly every time so I know he's actually hungry!! I'm not sure what to do here, since nothing really seems to be working. I'm always putting him in his litter box before and after feedings as well but he still hasn't figured out what it's for. Online it says to be patient but pretty much every site I've visited also makes it sound like they will at least try to eat the food or lick formula from a saucer pretty easily. Chunkie just refuses!! Some advice would really be appreciated, I'm worried I'm just not doing it right!!

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it, as long as he's drinking enough formula from the bottle to keep him gaining weight. I think bottle babies who are weaned too soon are more likely to have problematic suckling behaviors in adulthood. I wouldn't be in any hurry to get him off the bottle. Just keep offering solids and he'll get the idea eventually. They all mature at their own pace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chunkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks so much you guys!! i feel a lot better now :)