Trying to understand my cat - house moving

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! This is not a thread to ask for advice or anything, because everything is okay now, but just thought i’d try to get some insight into the confusing mind of a cat. :yess:

i was an international student when i got my cat, so my cat was overseas with me for about a year and a half. When i graduated and it was time to go back to my home country, he had to come with me to 2 house shifts.
a) a temporary lodging (airbnb) while i left my apartment empty to sort out all the furnitures and stuff
b) actual home overseas: he had to take an 8 hour flight home with me

when we first shifted from old apartment to temporary lodging, it was terrible. He wouldnt eat much at all, pooped once in 3 days, and was just- stressed. After about a week at the temporary lodging, he slowly started to eat abit more (but nowhere near usual: about 30% of normal)

i was really worried cause figured it would be worse in the second shift: different climate, completely different surroundings, with new members of my family at home (he only saw them once when he was a baby and they came to visit me during Summer break) , an actual house as compared to the apartment he’s used to, and to top it all off, thats after a stressful 8 hour flight!

but for some weird reason—
Upon moving back to my actual home after the flight, he settled in so quickly??? Ate 50% that night we landed from the flight, and then the next day he was pretty much back to normal. Eating, pooping, drinking, playing.

I can’t make sense of this, but i am glad he’s back to normal now- 😅

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do learn from experience and it could be that having been through a move once he learned that it’s really not all that scary, and that you will be there with him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Who knows the 'real story', as when it comes to cats, anything is possible. But, assuming your temporary lodging actually allowed pets, your guy could have smelled something in that place that was unsettling to him, perhaps due to a previous animal. Also, I am sure you were pretty stressed out at the time, and he could have been reacting to that. Then, even though you were concerned about yet another move, it was probably still less anxiety once you got there considering you had family around to make your transition easier (and, therefore, maybe his too).