Trying to trim my cat's nails

gillyrosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is super skittish and doesn't like to be held for any longer than 30 seconds. Still, I've tried trimming her nails. She just squirms out of my arms. Until now, I've been letting a groomer or the vet do it, but I thought I'd give it shot. Alas, to no avail.

Any tips for getting this done?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I had a cat that was very similar, and I started working with one paw when he was asleep, where I'd touch his paws, then later on I'd try pushing the claw out but not clip it, and that was it I didn't do anything else.

Over time I got to the point I could clip one claw, and gradually he's gotten to the point that he is ok with it, --not thrilled lol, but he'll let me get the job done.

It just takes time :heartshape:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're physically able to, kneel on the floor and sit back on your heels and hold the cat between your knees firmly but gently. Do this in a small room (like bathroom) with the door closed and have your back close to the wall or door to minimize escaping. Then pick up each paw and trim the claws. Take breaks if your cat gets too wiggly. Reward each successful claw trim with a treat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby, though both a cuddle bug and lap cat, hates being restrained in any way, and also hates having her paws touched, so nail trimming is difficult. So I sympathize with you.

On occasion, I'll get one done when she's relaxed on my lap, but by the time I get them all done, it's time to start over again. No real tips, though, just keep trying whenever your cat is asleep, and has their leg stretched out so that you can touch their paw.

TCS has this short article that might be helpful: How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws – TheCatSite Articles

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I had a similar experience with a skittish cat we adopted when she was about 10. She wasn't used to having her claws clipped at all. My technique was similar to Furballsmom Furballsmom -- I'd start out just holding her paw, or doing one when she was asleep. Sometimes I'd only be able to clip one or two nails at a time. Over time, she'd let me do one paw at a time.

Good luck! :goodluck:

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was one of the reasons which prevented me from getting a cat for years. I just couldn't imagine dealing with it. Thankfully humphrey is tolerant of it - not thrilled but will let me do it.
Wishing you the best of luck !!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
gillyrosh gillyrosh my method with all my cats has been the same as Furballsmom Furballsmom and betsygee betsygee .

Touch feet often. Provide reward.

Let cat sniff Clippers often when awake. Just show, don't clip. After a while show the movement of it but don't clip.

Wait until very asleep. Clip until awake and tugs paw away. Provide treats.

* Calcifer's foster family did this method and by 5 months I could pull him into my lap and do all his feet at once. Nobel, the cat I raised from birth is the same. Yesterday, I should have filmed this I barely believe it myself, I did Cal's claws and was going to skip Nobel....Nobel came over and say in front of me waiting to get his done.
Magnus's foster mum used the pinning method and I can *maybe* get a full foot at a time. He's over 2 now. He was better but then had some foot issues. Alternatively, we started brushing his teeth and i can do that to him just fine???