Trying to thoroughly remove toxic carpet shampoo

Maisie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

My dad used this HDX Extractor carpet shampoo on the carpet. I am worried because my cat lies on that carpet often.

On the back of the container it says "pets may reenter the room when carpet is dried and has been thoroughly vaccumed". I don't entirely trust this because the vaccum we have is not very great.

I'm currently keeping him out of the room with a makeshift barrier and have windows open and fans on. I read a pretty good idea on here of running the steam cleaner again with just water for an extra "rinse". Do you think this would be sufficient in making it safe for my cat to lie on the carpet? Any other ideas?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would try the steam cleaner. It should draw out most of any residual cleaner that might be in the carpeting. If the cleaner that was used has left a scent/smell to it, that would be one test to use after steam cleaner to see if the scent is gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maisie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Feebysowner! I ran the steam cleaner again with just water and a bit of vinegar to get rid of the residue. It seemed to work really well and my eyes and throat stopped bothering me almost immediately. Should be good for kitty. thanks!