Trying To Raise Funds For My Cats Test/treatment

Paul Keep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, i hope you are well.
I was advised i could post this here, i hope that's ok.
I don't like to ask for help but i've set this up as my cat is ill.
He is due to have tests tomorrow which will cost £600, i've already spend around £350 to help him over the passed few weeks.
Tomorrow he will be put under & have a saline solution filled into his bladder through catheter, & he will have his bladder & kidneys scanned to see if there are any tumours
He suffers from Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease since he was 2 years old (he had surgery back then), so i thought he had an infection that he is prone to, but antibiotics & painkillers have not healed him, so he now needs further tests, with potential treatment after.
I have insurance but it does not cover this. Foolishly a few years ago i hit hard times & allowed my old insurance to lapse (that paid for his surgery 8 years ago), now i have new insurance, but they will not cover this pre-existing condition, so i am swallowing my pride & asking for help.
I am in the UK, i believe many of you are in the US, so i'm now sure if that makes a difference.
I will post a link to the vets Malachi is currently an in patient at on a drip and my Just Giving Page. I do not expect anyone to help me, but if anyone would like to i am very grateful or if anyone would like to share my Just Giving Page.

Thank you, Paul x
Acorn House Vets In Bedford | 24 Hour Vet Hospital
Help raise £600 to Pay For Malachi's Vets Bills For Tests & Treatment After

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see you've got some money coming into your fund raiser :clap2:. Best of luck on the test results :crossfingers:. Keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul Keep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
I also have an update now i have spoken to the vet following Malachi's tests.
The results show he has a lot of bladder stones which explain his discomfort, why he hasn't seemed to like walking on his hind legs the passed few days & keeps straining to wee & pooping himself. Although he is not blocked they are definitely very painful for him.
So the plan of action is to first try a special (but expensive) diet that MAY break down the stones - if they are the right sort. This will take several weeks of no other food but this & continuous painkillers for him multiple times a day.
if the stones do not break down then Malachi will require surgery to remove them, although i was advised this will be difficult as there are a lot of stones. I've looked online, the surgery (if required) will cost well over another £500.
Both courses of action are going to require more scans which are expensive, more so if he needs to be put under again.
Malachi also has kidney abnormalities but they are not worrying about this atm.
The passed few weeks have been very distressing for me administering painkillers & him hating me for it, BUT now i feel i have a proper prognosis for him rather than feeling so lost & helpless, i am able to cope with this much better.
The news is good, although not without problems, but i want my little boy back to like he is in the cover picture of my fundraising page sitting with me, purring with loving eyes.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
To all members, a reminder that it is YOUR responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability. Ask for references, phone numbers, call around the area and find out if this is a legitimate cause or a scam. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reason that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized. Be very careful before you send any money: no matter how effective the plea is, check it out first before opening your wallet. For more information, see Pleas for Money.

Paul Keep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely agree Draco, if anyone has any questions for me or would like any information, the vet's contact details for the surgery, etc, i am happy to answer any questions

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paul, how is Mally doing? Any updates? Every time I hear his name it reminds me of my favorite cat who died.:( This is the first time I've heard of another cat with the same name.

Paul Keep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, he is doing really well thank you!
Oh i'm sorry to hear, i picked it as it was an unusual name i heard on a TV show when i got him.
I can't believe he's doing so well, i expected him to come home from surgery really unwell, wearing a cone collar etc. When i got to the vets & put my fingers through the bar of his cage he rested his head into my hand & laid on it. He had no collar, i let him out of his box when we got home & he was like his old self 24 hours after surgery, meowing, wanting food, following me round the house, not hiding any more.
Within days he was climbing furniture making me worry about his stitches haha.
It's several weeks post surgery now, & he's completely his old self. I'm so glad i had the surgery done, the debt doesn't matter, it is worth every penny & every extra day i now have him is a blessing. He's so loving, i'm really making the most of having him now.
He has kidney disease which is believed to be in the quite early stages, so i'm moving him onto a special diet to help combat this, but obviously it's a terminal illness so will progress. But however long he has left now, every day is a blessing & a pure joy to have him next to me

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mally died several years ago, his name was short for Marshmallow. He looked like your cat, but he had short hair. I'm so glad your Mally is doing better and the surgery was a success. He looks really good in the photo. :)